The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Looking out for our own » » Strange Tasting Fishsticks has passed away (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
It is a natural thought, Laurie.

"Maybe it isn't true?"

Some people think a thought and immediately publish it. Others, such as yourself, possess a filter or razor.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4816 Posts

Profile of gdw
Yes, like I said:
"I'm not sure if it's just denial/wishful thinking, skepticism, or pushing cynicism."

I noticed Laurie's post as I was typing mine, but thought, as I mentioned, that I would post it anyways. Just a touch of how it is touching other places, perhaps, I don't know. Any who.

Yes, I also sent the person the link to the funeral home page.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
Bobby Forbes
View Profile
Inner circle
virginia beach, VA.
1524 Posts

Profile of Bobby Forbes
No need to feel guilty about thinking that. It has popped in my head a few times too. You never know nowadays. The least the funeral home page could do is get the dates right geez. They are a day late on Kevin's last day on this earth. Anywho, prayers to the family...I can't even imagine what they are feeling right now.
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Oh ****, now the funeral home is being criticised. At least it is in a homely way, "anywho".
Bobby Forbes
View Profile
Inner circle
virginia beach, VA.
1524 Posts

Profile of Bobby Forbes
Now now be nice lol.
ncsteve
View Profile
Veteran user
North Carolina
314 Posts

Profile of ncsteve
It's a terrible shame for anyone to be lost needlessly, but it is especially sad when it's someone so young. My sympathy to his family and friends.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
2834 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Quote:
On 2013-04-13 15:50, Devious wrote:

Here is the first video that I ever saw of his work.
Kevin

Thanks for posting this video, Devious. I saw it Sunday, I think, on his channel, and thought about putting a link up myself. I'm going to the coin forum to do so now. Take care.

Laurie
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
Hello Laurie, it's so nice to see you, I've missed ya mucho!

Folks, I heard from Kevin's mother today. She has been reading this thread.
She is going to include some of these comments along with some video of his
work at the service on wednesday in Phoenix.

Like many of you, I was very moved with Kevin's daily struggle. I'm gonna miss
reading his thoughts and opinions on coin magic... R.I.P. lil buddy!

Kevin's favorite cycling jersey
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
Michael_MacDonald
View Profile
1964 - 2016
Washington
2034 Posts

Profile of Michael_MacDonald
Dear kevin,

Your passions for magic and your genuine caring nature are your legacy to those that know you. I know that sometimes our passions can be overwhelming at times. our dreams can seem so far out of our reach that we feel that it is pointless to carry on the struggle. What you do not know Kevin is that you had actually fulfilled the biggest goal you had set. You became a magician. you performed in front of a live audience of strangers. you mesmerized them with your skill as a coin worker. you charmed them with you shy but passionate personality. You have inspired many here that have watched your day to day struggle to become the best you can my friend. those that have followed your progress and cheered you achievements have been reminded that its not about winning, its about trying your hardest and a desire to succeed. You have chosen to go to the Summerlands to share your gift with those that have traveled before you.

May you bring as much joy and inspiration to them as you have many here.

Beanachd Leibh
(blessings go with you)

Michael
Mormo Zine
View Profile
Regular user
149 Posts

Profile of Mormo Zine
I respect anybody who masters coin magic. That stuff is hard!!!!!!

RIP
Ours the magic, Ours the power!

See Mormo's Guide To Psychic Self Defense by clicking here.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
I never come here any more. But I come here today to pay my meager respects, and to say that Mr. Sticks was a good and gentle fellow; one of the few here who I ever felt I could speak freely to, and do so without hesitation or reservations.

Some observations of mine about 'Sticks: He was genuinely interested in magic; what it is, what it was, and how it's done. He knew how to ask a good question, that would get good answers, over the general level of banality and noise on the internet. He also seemed to have a good ear for the answers he got, and he obviously learned from what he heard. He wasn't afraid to share what he knew, and he never used his knowledge to gain an advantage over someone, to win stupid internet personality conflicts, or to put on airs of superiority.

Over time, I saw him grow quite skilled at magic. This is something I've only very rarely seen on the internet. In person it happens all the time -you see someone buy a trick at the magic shop and a few weeks later you watch them perform it. But "internet people" have a tendency to seem, somehow, "unreal" and I almost never see them "evolve". He was one of the few "weird screen names" here that I knew to be more than a talking head, because his growth as a magician was obvious. I can honestly say that I felt a bit proud to know him because of this, much as I feel proud of all of my friendships with true magicians.

To learn of someone's untimely death is never easy. It makes me think of my own mortality in a way that is not-at-all comfortable. When it's someone I know in such an indirect way, such as an "internet friendship", it's more uncomfortable still, because there is a lot of ambiguity as to what an appropriate response is -how personally should I let this affect me? How much time should I spend dwelling on his old posts and our correspondences? Should I write anything here at all, given how little I use this space any more? Should I be writing to his legacy, his family and friends, or just to myself? I really don't know...

So long, Mr. 'Sticks. I'm very sorry that you never found that elusive spark in life you needed to keep going. Believe me, this is something I struggle with quite a bit, myself. I'd guess that many other people do too. I wish you would would have, though. The world was a better place with you here.
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
smullins
View Profile
Special user
United States
674 Posts

Profile of smullins
Kevin was one hell of a guy. He truly was one of the greatest coin magicians I have ever had the pleasure of talking to.

I met him through Ellusionist when I was working there and just had this "want" to be the best. He had mastered Ponta the Smith's coin vanish so perfectly and yet no matter how much you told him that, he refused to believe it. Kevin had some issues that did not fully allow him to see how talented he was or how loved he was by everyone he talked to. A funny, smart and kind kid is how he will be remembered with me.

Another kid the system failed and it's sad.

I'll miss him.

Let this be a reminder to some... if a friend ever has these thoughts or is scared, you are not a trained professional. Please alert someone who can help. Still be there and give them support.

RIP Kevin.
Shawn Mullins

www.MullinsMagic.com
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5707 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Wow, I just found out...

This is really, really sad.

RIP Kevin.

May you now be at Peace.

Wow... Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3615 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Hear, hear, Gaddy. Well said. Very well said indeed...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
BanzaiMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1586 Posts

Profile of BanzaiMagic
Quote:
On 2013-04-16 05:03, gaddy wrote:
Should I write anything here at all, given how little I use this space any more? Should I be writing to his legacy, his family and friends, or just to myself? I really don't know...

So long, Mr. 'Sticks. I'm very sorry that you never found that elusive spark in life you needed to keep going. Believe me, this is something I struggle with quite a bit, myself. I'd guess that many other people do too. I wish you would would have, though. The world was a better place with you here.

I agree with your sentiments. You (or perhaps others) might wish to post a thought on his tribute page. For your convenience, it is here:
http://www.azlegacyfuneralhome.com/obituaries/Kevin-Tejan/
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
I had many conversations with Kevin in PM. I first "met" him in The Workers section of The Café. I remember that he would get very frustrated with his card work at the time, but, nonetheless, he perservered. Kevin worked so very hard on his magic and he is truly missed. What a wonderful soul, and, yes, the absolute BEST nickname on The Café.

+May his memory be eternal+

Namaste Kevin
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
2834 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Thankyou, Devious.

Good to see you, Gaddy.
trey
View Profile
Loyal user
288 Posts

Profile of trey
May you rest in peace Kevin. I hope that you are no longer in pain.

Trey
RealityOne
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of RealityOne
Kevin,

I wish you could have seen yourself through others eyes. You had a lot of friends who cared about you. You had an amazing talent and were a great magician.

You left us too young, Kevin. I will miss you buddy. Our world is diminished by the lack of your presence. Farewell, my friend. Rest in peace.
~David

Any perception of reality is a selection of reality which results in a distortion of reality.
Jim Sparx
View Profile
Inner circle
Far Out, Texas
1144 Posts

Profile of Jim Sparx
Sometimes we say the wrong words too soon.
Those words we can never take back.
Sometimes we say the right words too late.
Those words will never be heard.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Looking out for our own » » Strange Tasting Fishsticks has passed away (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL