The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Another Example Of Why I Stopped Listening To Radio After 1999 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1426 Posts

Profile of stempleton
Justin Bieber visited the Anne Frank House while in Amsterdam for a concert. His entry in the guest book is:

"Truly inspiring to be able to come here. Anne was a great girl. Hopefully she would have been a belieber.’”
http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/14/showbiz/bi......dex.html

Is it the money, the parents, the educational system... or am I just old?
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6781 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Nope Steve. It's the "time we live in".

Doug
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2013-04-14 15:08, stempleton wrote:
Justin Bieber visited the Anne Frank House while in Amsterdam for a concert. His entry in the guest book is:

"Truly inspiring to be able to come here. Anne was a great girl. Hopefully she would have been a belieber.’”
http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/14/showbiz/bi......dex.html

Is it the money, the parents, the educational system... or am I just old?


I think it might be a function of the radio stations you used to listen to. Not having ever listened to one that would play Justin Bieber, reading something this obnoxious wouldn't change my habits.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Any publicity is good publicity. I think the museum recognizes that.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment.......1316316

Bieber toured the Anne Frank House with his friends and security detail for about an hour while his fans and others waited outside, said Maatje Mostart, a museum spokeswoman.

“He was very interested in (Anne Frank’s) story,” Mostart told the Daily News on Sunday. “It’s great that he’s been here, and we hope a lot of his fans will want to read about Anne Frank ... We really think that it’s great that a 19-year-old person wants to know who Anne Frank was and know more about her.”

Abraham Foxman, the national director of the Anti-Defamation League, is willing to cut the Canadian crooner some slack.

“If you read Anne Frank’s diary, she was into celebrities, she was into pop culture,” Foxman said. “So for (Bieber) to say he would have hoped that she would have been a fan, it’s a nice thing.”
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
“If you read Anne Frank’s diary, she was into celebrities, she was into pop culture,” Foxman said. “So for (Bieber) to say he would have hoped that she would have been a fan, it’s a nice thing.”

Anne Frank was very much into Clark Gable.

A visit to Anne Franks house should be high on anyone's list of places to see before you die.
I have never been in such a small space (downstairs museum) with so many people and you could almost hear a pin drop. Very sobering experience.
Anyone who believe's the Holocaust never happened needs to pay a visit to this house. Might make a them think twice.
In the early 70's Anne Frank's Father (Otto Frank) was giving the tours.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Anne Frank was truly inspirational... Smile

Why couldn't she have been a Belieber? She was of that age group that his female fans are, what's the problem?

It's just liking pop songs right? It's not like he said she would like Scientology.

Or are you saying there is something sinister about Justin Bieber's songs that Anne Frank would not be right, or it would be insulting to her memory, to like them?

I don't really like Bieber's songs but I don't think they're wrong or sinister.

So... What's the problem?

Add to that...

Quote:
On 2013-04-16 06:43, irossall wrote:

“If you read Anne Frank’s diary, she was into celebrities, she was into pop culture,” Foxman said. “So for (Bieber) to say he would have hoped that she would have been a fan, it’s a nice thing.”

Anne Frank was very much into Clark Gable.

"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I feel sorry for people who have to listen to crap music. I listen to adult alternative music, and the only PBS adult alternative music radio station in the country is in Philadelphia. The unwashed masses have to listen to top 40, easy listening, or music from the 80's. I would never move away because the only real music is on Satellite (pay radio) or WXPN in Philadelphia.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5962 Posts

Profile of motown
Yes Al, it's hard to find great radio stations anymore.

As for Bieber, I'd say Clueless in Amsterdam. When I visited the Anne Frank house, I was totally moved. Couldn't image giving myself a plug. Like I said "Clueless".
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2013-04-16 07:54, Al Angello wrote:
I feel sorry for people who have to listen to crap music. I listen to adult alternative music, and the only PBS adult alternative music radio station in the country is in Philadelphia. The unwashed masses have to listen to top 40, easy listening, or music from the 80's. I would never move away because the only real music is on Satellite (pay radio) or WXPN in Philadelphia.


I feel sorry because you cannot appreciate all types of different music in the world.

Not all of "everything else" is necessarily bad. Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Russell Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Hampshire, England
1104 Posts

Profile of Russell Davidson
Justin Bieber = music for little girls. I won't have squeaky clean crap like this in my house. Starting to feel sick thinking about it! Smile
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2013-04-16 08:02, Russell Davidson wrote:
Justin Bieber = music for little girls. I won't have squeaky clean crap like this in my house. Starting to feel sick thinking about it! Smile


Anne Frank was a girl of most of his fan's age. Smile

Thus his hope she was a Belieber.

But sure, to each his own. Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Pakar,

As a musician I do appreciate virtually every GENRE of music, but, my friend, that doesn't mean I should appreciate every performer. I love The Beatles, I love Black Sabbath. I am not a fan of The Stones (they rode the Beatles' coat tails) and I REALLY loathe the "music" of AC/DC and Ted Nugent.

Give me Rachmaninov anyday, but John Cage, not so much even though I appreciate his genius.

The music industry has become so pre-packaged and plasticized. While Bieber and Gaga are raking in millions because of gimmicks, artists like Dream Theater - all Julliard and Berkeley grads - are still relatively unknown compared to the dead meat wearing Gaga anfd the all in one boy band Bieber.

Namaste,
Vlad
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2013-04-16 08:25, Vlad_77 wrote:
Pakar,

As a musician I do appreciate virtually every GENRE of music, but, my friend, that doesn't mean I should appreciate every performer. I love The Beatles, I love Black Sabbath. I am not a fan of The Stones (they rode the Beatles' coat tails) and I REALLY loathe the "music" of AC/DC and Ted Nugent.

Give me Rachmaninov anyday, but John Cage, not so much even though I appreciate his genius.

The music industry has become so pre-packaged and plasticized. While Bieber and Gaga are raking in millions because of gimmicks, artists like Dream Theater - all Julliard and Berkeley grads - are still relatively unknown compared to the dead meat wearing Gaga anfd the all in one boy band Bieber.

Namaste,
Vlad


Sure, but success or worth surely is not measured by popularity or monetary gains, right?

Some like Bieber, some don't.

If you don't like anything, up to you, but don't dismiss it just because it belongs to any "type" of music is all I'm saying.

Have a listen, even to Malaysian Cultural Music even, and if you don't like it, fine. Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
The incredible stupidity of his comments were in the making of Ann Frank's house all about him.

The bigger the ego the emptier the brain.

She would not have been a 'belieber', as he wasn't born then, and she would be 84 by now.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5962 Posts

Profile of motown
Exactly. This has nothing to do with wether you like Bieber's music or not, but a total lack of respect for what went on during that period.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4966 Posts

Profile of landmark
Yeah, but the Nazis had cool uniforms. I'll bet Anne would have been turned on by it, had Justin been wearing one.
PaulPacific
View Profile
Special user
Yes, I used my toes to type all of my
889 Posts

Profile of PaulPacific
The spokesperson for the museum was not offended by the comment. The quote went something like, "Think about it... He took time to come and visit the museum.. He's 19.. His comment was innocent."
Blessings on thee, little man,
barefoot boy with cheeks of tan...
Outward sunshine; inward joy,
Blessings on thee, barefoot boy! :-D
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2013-04-16 08:25, Vlad_77 wrote:
Pakar,

As a musician I do appreciate virtually every GENRE of music, but, my friend, that doesn't mean I should appreciate every performer. I love The Beatles, I love Black Sabbath. I am not a fan of The Stones (they rode the Beatles' coat tails) and I REALLY loathe the "music" of AC/DC and Ted Nugent.

Give me Rachmaninov anyday, but John Cage, not so much even though I appreciate his genius.

The music industry has become so pre-packaged and plasticized. While Bieber and Gaga are raking in millions because of gimmicks, artists like Dream Theater - all Julliard and Berkeley grads - are still relatively unknown compared to the dead meat wearing Gaga anfd the all in one boy band Bieber.

Namaste,
Vlad


Most of the Dream Theater guys are Berklee dropouts, actually. Great band, but for progressive metal, I'll take Fates Warning or Queensryche.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5962 Posts

Profile of motown
Quote:
On 2013-04-16 15:37, landmark wrote:
Yeah, but the Nazis had cool uniforms. I'll bet Anne would have been turned on by it, had Justin been wearing one.
There's no accounting for bad taste, whether from pop stars or Café members.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4966 Posts

Profile of landmark
Sarcasm, re cluelessness.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Another Example Of Why I Stopped Listening To Radio After 1999 (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL