The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » On sneezing fits and hiccups........ (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Almost like clockwork after dinner each night I experience a fit of sneezing about ten minutes later. Usually a half dozen sneezes, but oftentimes more. My father was afflicted with similar fits, but I don't remember them being after dinner. I do remember it being extremely annoying; and my wife has stopped saying "Bless you."

I've experienced this for many years but I've noticed it becoming quite predictable and more regular as I've advanced in age. I read somewhere once that a full stomach can trigger a sneezing fit by way of some nerve in the stomach, which wouldn't surprise me because I do enjoy our evening meal.

Then there are fits of hiccups. I used to have violent episodes lasting for days (again, as my father) when I was younger, but thankfully I haven't had an episode in a couple of decades.

Care to share? Comment?
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16031 Posts

Profile of tommy
Sounds like some sort of hay fever. Maybe it's not the dinner but the time of day that makes it happen.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Winter and summer, year round!

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
kambiz
View Profile
Inner circle
Perth, down by the cool of the pool
1129 Posts

Profile of kambiz
Gluten allergy? I'm no expert but a possibility?

Kam
If I speak forth, many a mind will shatter,
And if I write, many a pen will break.
.....and when I consider my own self, lo, I find it coarser than clay!
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Nah, I think it would have surfaced decades ago, since glutens weren't even a household word when I was reared.

mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Gesundheit!

You know what I hate? When I sneeze and my denture goes flying. (Great fun for the onlookers, though.)
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16031 Posts

Profile of tommy
Do you put pepper on your dinner?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On 2013-04-15 01:09, mastermindreader wrote:
Gesundheit!

You know what I hate? When I sneeze and my denture goes flying. (Great fun for the onlookers, though.)

LMAO!

Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On 2013-04-15 01:16, tommy wrote:
Do you put pepper on your dinner?

More salt than pepper, despite my medicated BP. It ain't the pepper. I still, think it's the stomach nerve.

kambiz
View Profile
Inner circle
1129 Posts

Profile of kambiz
Sounds bizarre Bob Smile

Cant get the link between a gastrointestinal nerve and a process that is pretty much exclusive to the respiratory system....

Either way, I once had a patient I was extracting a tooth on, and in the middle he decided to sneeze. Suffice to say that I don't like my job when that happens!

Kam
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On 2013-04-15 01:38, kambiz wrote:
Sounds bizarre Bob Smile

Cant get the link between a gastrointestinal nerve and a process that is pretty much exclusive to the respiratory system....

Either way, I once had a patient I was extracting a tooth on, and in the middle he decided to sneeze. Suffice to say that I don't like my job when that happens!

Kam

Kam,

Then you are a dentist I presume? I'm sure your reaction to said sneeze would be amusing, if not to you, but to the rest of us! Care to share? Smile

As for an explanation for a gastrointesinal connection to my sneezing issues, I did in fact once read somewhere, and it would be a relatively easy Google, that the GI tract does indeed have that nerve response to sneezing. Smile

In the FWIW category, I'm told there are other nerve responses, synapses or lack thereof in various appointments of our anatomy. I knew a fellow who during a public oratory, dam near fainted, losing his composure because his bladder was full and some bladder nerve response triggered a signal to his brain which almost floored him. It has a scientific name and I just don't feel like Googling that either. It had a diagnosis, but is too long ago for me to remember.

So, perhaps in the interest of science and human interest, you might research a similar nerve response that might mitigate the pain of a toothache while keeping said tooth in its natual placement?

Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Gastrointestinal, natural. I exceeded the edit time limit!

kambiz
View Profile
Inner circle
1129 Posts

Profile of kambiz
Well shiver mi timbers you have directed me to an interesting learning today my friend, thank you! Smile

I never knew that....

In regards to said patient, it was only amusing to my nurse, who watched me coated in patient spit and blood. Luckily said mask, headgear and protective stainless steel blindfold protected me from any herpetic infusions!

Speaking of which, what's the market for blindfolded dentistry?

Kam
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On 2013-04-15 07:17, kambiz wrote:
Well shiver mi timbers you have directed me to an interesting learning today my friend, thank you! Smile

I never knew that....

In regards to said patient, it was only amusing to my nurse, who watched me coated in patient spit and blood. Luckily said mask, headgear and protective stainless steel blindfold protected me from any herpetic infusions!

Speaking of which, what's the market for blindfolded dentistry?

Kam

I'm giggling to myself just conjuring that image in my mind....yuk!

As for blindfolded dentistry, you might convince the three blind mice, but I'm afraid that's about it.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » On sneezing fits and hiccups........ (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL