The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Bomb Rips Boston Marathon Finish (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10~11~12~13~14..26~27~28 [Next]
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2652 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
[quote]On 2013-04-22 01:23, Bob1Dog wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-04-21 20:38, Andrew Zuber wrote:
Quote:
I'm the first to admit that I don't 100% agree with every single word in the Constitution.

Well sir, our Constitution gives you the right to say that, but by the same token, if you have a problem with it, work on the solution in a democratic way. Opining accomplishes absolutely nothing, zero, nada. Don't present problems, but present solutions. And if you're so inclined, work hard at changing things. Opinions are too easy to get away with; and that, my friend is all you have to offer, an opinion.

You completely missed the point of my post. I'm not complaining about the Constitution - I was merely prefacing what I was saying with the statement that I don't agree with 100% of it, but that's not the main point I was trying to make.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4808 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
That's exactly what he is, an irregular enemy combatant being used by a foreign terrorist organization to wage war against the United States

And you know this, how? Would you be willing to stake your life on the correctness of that assertion? If not, please don't stake someone else's life on it. That, in the US of A is what a jury is for.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4808 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2013-04-22 12:53, RobertSmith wrote:

If one can be tried as an enemy combatant for supporting a foreign terrorist organization then explain what we do with President Obama for giving $250 million in aide to the Muslim Brotherhood and an additional $150 million or so to Syrian rebels, many of whom are al Qaeda.

Let's not forget the neocon embrace of the Chechen separatists. In a move highly reminiscent of the US support of the Taliban, we may be experiencing yet another round of blowback:

Quote:
the leading group which pleads the Chechen cause is the American Committee for Peace in Chechnya (ACPC). The list of the self-styled ‘distinguished Americans’ who are its members is a roll call of the most prominent neoconservatives who so enthusiastically support the ‘war on terror.’

“They include Richard Perle, the notorious Pentagon adviser; Elliott Abrams of Iran-Contra fame; Kenneth Adelman, the former US ambassador to the UN who egged on the invasion of Iraq by predicting it would be ‘a cakewalk’; Midge Decter, biographer of Donald Rumsfeld and a director of the rightwing Heritage Foundation; Frank Gaffney of the militarist Centre for Security Policy; Bruce Jackson, former US military intelligence officer and one-time vice-president of Lockheed Martin, now president of the US Committee on Nato; Michael Ledeen of the American Enterprise Institute, a former admirer of Italian fascism and now a leading proponent of regime change in Iran; and R. James Woolsey, the former CIA director who is one of the leading cheerleaders behind George Bush’s plans to re-model the Muslim world along pro-US lines.

The ACPC later sanitized 'Chechnya' to 'Caucasus' so it’s rebranded itself as the 'American Committee for Peace in the Caucasus.'”

Quoted at http://original.antiwar.com/colleen-rowl......neocons/ which has a more extensive article by whistleblower Coleen Rowley if you'd like to follow the rabbit down the rabbit-hole
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
He will not be charged as an enemy combatant. The unsealed complaint and affidavit are here.
CJRichard
View Profile
Special user
Massachusetts
542 Posts

Profile of CJRichard
I'm in Massachusetts. In a few minutes, at 2:50 p.m. there will be a one minute Moment of Silence statewide in remembrance of the events of one week ago. It will be followed by the ringing of bells.
"You know some of you are laughin', but there's people here tryin' to learn. . ." -Pop Haydn

"I know of no other art that proclaims itself 'easy to do.'" -Master Payne

Ezekiel the Green
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2013-04-22 12:52, RobertSmith wrote:

One thing you need to realize is his Miranda Rights WERE NOT SUSPENDED. He absolutely has the right to remain silent. Whether he chooses to or not is a different story.

I believe his Miranda rights WERE suspended, according to the definition of what the Miranda rights are:

"The Miranda warning, also referred to as Miranda rights, is a warning given by police in the United States to criminal suspects in police custody (or in a custodial interrogation) before they are interrogated to preserve the admissibility of their statements against them in criminal proceedings."

He still retains a right to remain silent, but that is something else. Something different from his Miranda rights. His Miranda rights are the rights to be reminded of his right to a lawyer and to silence etc.

Now, what is the consequence of his having been denied his Miranda rights? This lawyer anyway (one who is certainly not infallible by any means) thinks it may have taken the death penalty off the table:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2......hts.html

"They will regret it, I think. A: There was never a basis for the public safety exception. As you know, when they announced it, the police had already announced that the public safety danger was over, they had arrested everybody. They didn’t think there was any further risk to the public. So they were using it as a subterfuge."

"Why will they come to regret it? Because they think that this case is going to be made based on videotapes the physical evidence. Bu there are two elements to every crime: The actus reus, that is the crime itself, which they will have no problem proving. And the intention. Now in order to get the death penalty they have to prove a terrorist intention. Now, in order to do that, they may get the information from him without having Mirandized him. And that information may be kept out of a trial. So they may have blown the death penalty, by not giving him his Miranda rights."
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
RobertSmith
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of RobertSmith
Quote:
On 2013-04-22 14:18, landmark wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-04-22 12:53, RobertSmith wrote:

If one can be tried as an enemy combatant for supporting a foreign terrorist organization then explain what we do with President Obama for giving $250 million in aide to the Muslim Brotherhood and an additional $150 million or so to Syrian rebels, many of whom are al Qaeda.

Let's not forget the neocon embrace of the Chechen separatists. In a move highly reminiscent of the US support of the Taliban, we may be experiencing yet another round of blowback:

Quote:
the leading group which pleads the Chechen cause is the American Committee for Peace in Chechnya (ACPC). The list of the self-styled ‘distinguished Americans’ who are its members is a roll call of the most prominent neoconservatives who so enthusiastically support the ‘war on terror.’

“They include Richard Perle, the notorious Pentagon adviser; Elliott Abrams of Iran-Contra fame; Kenneth Adelman, the former US ambassador to the UN who egged on the invasion of Iraq by predicting it would be ‘a cakewalk’; Midge Decter, biographer of Donald Rumsfeld and a director of the rightwing Heritage Foundation; Frank Gaffney of the militarist Centre for Security Policy; Bruce Jackson, former US military intelligence officer and one-time vice-president of Lockheed Martin, now president of the US Committee on Nato; Michael Ledeen of the American Enterprise Institute, a former admirer of Italian fascism and now a leading proponent of regime change in Iran; and R. James Woolsey, the former CIA director who is one of the leading cheerleaders behind George Bush’s plans to re-model the Muslim world along pro-US lines.

The ACPC later sanitized 'Chechnya' to 'Caucasus' so it’s rebranded itself as the 'American Committee for Peace in the Caucasus.'”

Quoted at http://original.antiwar.com/colleen-rowl......neocons/ which has a more extensive article by whistleblower Coleen Rowley if you'd like to follow the rabbit down the rabbit-hole

I agree.

Our government has a long history of aiding the enemy of our enemies. Our gov truly lives by the phrase an enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Until that enemy decides they hate you and, oh yeah, you gave the millions of dollars of guns, ammo, tanks, planes,bombs, food aide, medical aide etc.

One of the CIAs best trained operatives in the Russian/Afghanistan war was this guy named Osama bin Laden. That worked out real well for us.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2013-04-22 15:57, RobertSmith wrote:

One of the CIAs best trained operatives in the Russian/Afghanistan war was this guy named Osama bin Laden.

Maybe, maybe not:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CIA_%E2%80%......ing_view
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15933 Posts

Profile of tommy
HarrisBURG, Pennsylvania (Reuters) - The first simulated test of a terrorist attack on a nuclear power plant was a success, federal officials said on Friday of the event that was coincidentally scheduled a day after the Boston Marathon bombing on Monday.

Hmmm
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4808 Posts

Profile of landmark
A success in that it didn't blow up, or a success because the "terrorists" were caught after the crime?
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15933 Posts

Profile of tommy
Simulated terrorists or real ones, what's the difference, so long as they keep getting them we are safe.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Harris-Perry: Bombers’ Muslim Faith As Relevant To Bombing As Ben Affleck Movies About Violence In Boston

"Making the point that the Tsarnaev brothers’ Muslim faith at the moment bears little relevance to the investigation into the brothers’ decision to attack the Boston Marathon last week, MSNBC host Melissa Harris-Perry observed that Tsarnaev’s faith is about as relevant to the investigation right now as are Ben Affleck movies about violent events in Boston. Her panel guests agreed and added that Americans have to “otherize” violent actors in order to absolve themselves from responsibility for or connection to their violence."

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/harris-perry-......-boston/

I would say that this is one of the stupidest things I've heard from MSNBC lately but I'm afraid there are several who will defend her comments here. Oh what the he!!, it's still one of the stupidest things I've heard from MSNBC lately.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4808 Posts

Profile of landmark
What part of it do you consider stupid?
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2013-04-22 19:42, landmark wrote:

Tsarnaev's mosque kicked him out for his extremist views:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-......ays.html

Had he been an extremist Christian, the GOP would probably have nominated him as their last year's Presidential candidate.

So I guess from that perspective, the GOP might consider the events described as being stupid. Lost opportunity, as it were.
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
Quote:
On 2013-04-22 21:26, balducci wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-04-22 19:42, landmark wrote:

Tsarnaev's mosque kicked him out for his extremist views:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-......ays.html

Had he been an extremist Christian, the GOP would probably have nominated him as their last year's Presidential candidate.

So I guess from that perspective, the GOP might consider the events described as being stupid. Lost opportunity, as it were.

And the White House would most likely make him an ambassador. The Dems would just hire him to get some more left wing pointers.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Pretty lame response, Kevin. Try harder.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
How about Attorney General Mukasey's op-ed?

Quote:
For five years we have heard, principally from those who wield executive power, of a claimed need to make fundamental changes in this country, to change the world's—particularly the Muslim world's—perception of us, to press "reset" buttons. We have heard not a word from those sources suggesting any need to understand and confront a totalitarian ideology that has existed since at least the founding of the Muslim Brotherhood in the 1920s.

The ideology has regarded the United States as its principal adversary since the late 1940s, when a Brotherhood principal, Sayid Qutb, visited this country and was aghast at what he saw as its decadence. The first World Trade Center bombing, in 1993, al Qaeda attacks on American embassies in Kenya and Tanzania in 1998, on the USS Cole in 2000, the 9/11 attacks, and those in the dozen years since—all were fueled by Islamist hatred for the U.S. and its values.

There are Muslim organizations in this country, such as the American Islamic Forum for Democracy, headed by Dr. Zuhdi Jasser, that speak out bravely against that totalitarian ideology. They receive no shout-out at presidential speeches; no outreach is extended to them.

One of the Tsarnaev brothers is dead; the other might as well be. But if that is the limit of our concern, there will be others.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15933 Posts

Profile of tommy
The first World Trade Center bombing, in 1993, is an example of an FBI operation going wrong.

Tommy
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4808 Posts

Profile of landmark
Oh tommy, you weren't supposed to tell. The usual motif is to find some weak-minded sucker, supply him with the weapons he wouldn't have the knowledge or money to put together, drive him to the scene--and then, maybe, stop him in time.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15933 Posts

Profile of tommy
Everyone’s Wondering About Brendan Mess

http://au.businessinsider.com/murder-of-......v-2013-4

Tommy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Bomb Rips Boston Marathon Finish (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10~11~12~13~14..26~27~28 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL