The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Bomb Rips Boston Marathon Finish (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..10..14..18..22..26~27~28 [Next]
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
I thought this was a very interesting statement:

Quote:
"If your experience and your expertise is Middle East terrorism, it has the hallmarks of al Qaeda or a Middle East group," former FBI Assistant Director Tom Fuentes said. "If your experience is domestic groups and bombings that have occurred here, it has the hallmarks of a domestic terrorist like Eric Rudolph in the 1996 Atlanta Summer Olympics bombings."
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
893 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Quote:
On 2013-04-17 14:14, Pakar Ilusi wrote:
I'll say it for all of you since I'm from a muslim country.

I hope it is not muslims.

But I'm not holding my breath. Smile

Pakar, I'm just speculating, but in my opinion, it's more likely a lone nutcase, born and bred in America.

If it had been a trained terrorist group, the bombs would have been more powerful and lethal. There would have been more, or at least the second would have been timed and placed differently to hit the first responders. But like I said, I'm hoping we'll find out soon enough- there is a ton of footage to sift through, and I'm sure somebody spotted something.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15933 Posts

Profile of tommy
The cookers, according to the alerts, have been widely used in IEDs in Afghanistan and Pakistan. Directions on constructing bombs with pressure cookers have been published in Inspire, the English-language magazine of al-Qaeda.

Guiding readers on how to "make a bomb in the kitchen of your Mom", an issue published in 2010 endorsed the cookers as ideal for inflicting carnage in "crowded areas" and suggested more than one could be detonated simultaneously.

"Keep in mind that the range of the shrapnel in this operation is short range so the pressurised cooker or pipe should be placed close to the intended targets and should not be concealed from them by barriers such as walls," the magazine said.

-The Telegraph
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2013-04-17 18:47, rockwall wrote:
http://www.salon.com/2013/04/16/lets_hop......merican/

How nice.

What part of the article do you object to? The provocative title, or the claim that there is a double standard?
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4808 Posts

Profile of landmark
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4808 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2013-04-17 18:44, tommy wrote:
The cookers, according to the alerts, have been widely used in IEDs in Afghanistan and Pakistan. Directions on constructing bombs with pressure cookers have been published in Inspire, the English-language magazine of al-Qaeda.

Guiding readers on how to "make a bomb in the kitchen of your Mom", an issue published in 2010 endorsed the cookers as ideal for inflicting carnage in "crowded areas" and suggested more than one could be detonated simultaneously.

"Keep in mind that the range of the shrapnel in this operation is short range so the pressurised cooker or pipe should be placed close to the intended targets and should not be concealed from them by barriers such as walls," the magazine said.

-The Telegraph

Since Inspire is probably a hoax, we'll have to look elsewhere for answers.

Of course, I will probably be accused of bad taste to point out that the kin of such devices are used all the time by the US Govt--they're called cluster bombs and are designed to produce horrific wounds. The US is one of the few countries not to forswear the use of such weapons. If you can stomach it, the account of the use of such weapons used on the civilian population of Serbia in 1999 is enlightening:

http://www.commondreams.org/view/2013/04/17

There is no place in any kind of warfare for the use of such weapons.
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
893 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Landmark, pressure cooker bombs aren't just used in the Middle East. They've been cited in plots all around the world.

It's a good thing whoever did it did not have the knowledge to build a peroxide-based explosive, or the blast would have been far more powerful.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2013-04-17 13:42, tommy wrote:

Says Obama has had a ricin letter sent.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22190031

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/04/......awmaker/

Ricin letter sending dude by the name of Paul Kenneth Curtis was signing his letters "I am KC and I approve this message."
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2013-04-17 10:05, Woland wrote:
This might be a first claim of responsibility, or it might just be wishful thinking:

Quote:
A high-ranking Egyptian Muslim Brotherhood official has linked the deadly Boston attacks to the U.S.-backed French war in Mali.

Essam Elerian, vice chairman of the Brotherhood’s Freedom and Justice Party (FJP), wrote in a statement posted in Arabic on his Facebook account that the “events began with the sending of French battalions to Mali in a war against organizations that are said to be part of al Qaeda.”

Elerian expressed sympathy with the families of the victims, but said the attacks “do not stop us from reading into the grave incident.”

“Who interfered in democratic transformations, despite the difficult transition from despotism, corruption, poverty, hatred and intolerance to freedom, justice, tolerance, development, human dignity and social justice?” he asked. “Who created Islamophobia through research and media? Who funded this violence?”

Earlier, Elerian’s FJP party published a statement in English condemning the “heinous attacks in Boston,” which killed three people and wounded more than 170 others.

The party said it “offers heartfelt sympathies and solemn condolences to the American people and the families of the victims.”

“Islamic Sharia [law] strongly condemns the attacks on civilians and the terrorizing of innocent people.”

Claim of responsibility? It does not read even close to that to me.

Especially considering that he offers sympathies and condolences and says that attacks on civilians are strongly condemned by Islamic Sharia law, it sounds more to me as though he was simply commenting on how bad foreign policy (or the effect thereof) eventually flies home to roost.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
He's trying to take advantage of the attack, to make sure you know that this came from his guys in response to your actions, so don't do it again, while at the same time expressing sentiments that excuse him from any consequences that might come if you really believed his guys did it.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4808 Posts

Profile of landmark
In case you missed it, Colbert on the bombings:
http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert......-4-16-13
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Based on the pictures of the alleged suspects being circulated by law enforcement agencies, it would appear that Mr. Sirota's hopes are going to be dashed.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2013-04-18 05:53, Woland wrote:

He's trying to take advantage of the attack, to make sure you know that this came from his guys in response to your actions, so don't do it again, while at the same time expressing sentiments that excuse him from any consequences that might come if you really believed his guys did it.

Then I guess I am also responsible, as I wrote on this forum just the other day (in the context of the U.N. arms treaty) something that U.S. arms manufacturers exporting arms to foreign dictators and terrorists was a bad idea that just might backfire. I mean, not that it ever has before. My bad, carry on.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Your phrasing was not exactly the same as his, and you have to consider the source, too, when judging what is being said.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2013-04-18 10:54, Woland wrote:
Your phrasing was not exactly the same as his, and you have to consider the source, too, when judging what is being said.

I have no doubt that he is taking advantage / making the best of the situation in some sense, though it is quite likely that his remarks were in response to press enquiries lookng for him to issue a statement.

I just think that is a far, far cry from declaring it a claim of responsibility.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
I read it as a warning. He clearly states that adherents of his religion were responsible, expressed the idea that their causus belli was justifiable. Moreover, on re-reading the news story, it is clear that the comments condemning the attacks came not from him, but from "his party" in a previously published statement.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2013-04-18 09:47, Woland wrote:
Based on the pictures of the alleged suspects being circulated by law enforcement agencies, it would appear that Mr. Sirota's hopes are going to be dashed.

They've been identified ...

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/buster/runn......s-875362
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2013-04-18 07:39, landmark wrote:
In case you missed it, Colbert on the bombings:
http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert......-4-16-13

Nice. Particularly like the bit about buckling their hats on.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Thanks, balducci. Back to square one, then.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Bomb Rips Boston Marathon Finish (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..10..14..18..22..26~27~28 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL