The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Bomb Rips Boston Marathon Finish (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8..13..18..23..24~25~26~27~28 [Next]
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15933 Posts

Profile of tommy
UNCLE Ruslan at one point during his marriage to CIA honcho Graham Fuller's
daughter, was running a curious organization called the Congress of Chechen International Organizations which listed as its address Fuller’s home in Rockville, MD, a Washington DC suburb.

The CIA were using this organization to supply Chechen terrorists with shoes.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
David Marcus
View Profile
New user
3,375.97 miles outside of Paris, France.
81 Posts

Profile of David Marcus
Quote:
On 2013-04-30 13:22, Woland wrote:
General Polk, by the way, was a graduate of USMA and was commissioned. He did take a solemn oath to defend the Constitution. He would have been charged with treason for violating his oath and bearing arms against the United States. General Sherman, who ordered his position shelled, undoubtedly viewed him as an enemy combatant, although one in uniform, and hence accorded some legal protections under the "Lieber Code."

Thanks for clearing that up. When I read your first statement, it looked like you were saying he was charged by the CSA and executed for that by Indiana.

Sorry for my confusion.
“Next to music, beer was best.” - Carson McCullers
David Marcus
View Profile
New user
3,375.97 miles outside of Paris, France.
81 Posts

Profile of David Marcus
Quote:
On 2013-04-29 11:46, LobowolfXXX wrote:
A real slimeball who met a fitting end.

I agree. And I personally find it disgusting that he's immortalized by having his name to a law that is designed to protect people.
“Next to music, beer was best.” - Carson McCullers
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20242 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2013-04-30 09:17, landmark wrote:
I declare you an enemy combatant Woland. I am President. What are you going to do about it?


And so we get to the heart of the issue and why all of our right are so important.

(Even the second amendment. It is in there you know. Look it up.)
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2013-05-01 10:37, David Marcus wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-04-29 11:46, LobowolfXXX wrote:
A real slimeball who met a fitting end.

I agree. And I personally find it disgusting that he's immortalized by having his name to a law that is designed to protect people.


How could it not be? It's not a "law" that was named after him. It's just the name of the case in which the Supreme Court ruled upon the notification requirements regarding fifth amendment rights. His name is on the case because it arose from his appeal to the Court. That's the way ALL decisions are named.



I'd hardly consider him "immortalized." The great majority of people know or little, if anything, about him. Personally, when I hear the name I always think of Carmen Miranda and am grateful that we also have the right to wear fruit on our heads. Smile
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4807 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2013-05-01 10:57, Dannydoyle wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-04-30 09:17, landmark wrote:
I declare you an enemy combatant Woland. I am President. What are you going to do about it?


And so we get to the heart of the issue and why all of our right are so important.

(Even the second amendment. It is in there you know. Look it up.)

Exactly Danny. I don't understand how one could passionately defend the 2nd amendment and not understand why this reviewless process of declaring someone an enemy combatant is so dangerous. And really, I don't care what Lincoln decided. He was a smart guy, but not always right. When dealing with the most fundamental right of humankind, life itself, it pays to be conservative and err on the side of liberty, sticking to the written protections, no matter what the circumstances.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2013-05-01 11:59, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-05-01 10:37, David Marcus wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-04-29 11:46, LobowolfXXX wrote:
A real slimeball who met a fitting end.

I agree. And I personally find it disgusting that he's immortalized by having his name to a law that is designed to protect people.


How could it not be? It's not a "law" that was named after him. It's just the name of the case in which the Supreme Court ruled upon the notification requirements regarding fifth amendment rights. His name is on the case because it arose from his appeal to the Court. That's the way ALL decisions are named.



I'd hardly consider him "immortalized." The great majority of people know or little, if anything, about him. Personally, when I hear the name I always think of Carmen Miranda and am grateful that we also have the right to wear fruit on our heads. Smile


When I was studying for the bar, the criminal law/procedure review lecture was by USC law professor Charlie Whitebread, who related astory of how when Ernesto Miranda died, his mom saw a quick snippet in local paper. She clipped it and mailed it to him with a note, "Such a shame, after all he did for us!"
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
David Marcus
View Profile
New user
3,375.97 miles outside of Paris, France.
81 Posts

Profile of David Marcus
Quote:
On 2013-05-01 11:59, mastermindreader wrote:
I always think of Carmen Miranda and am grateful that we also have the right to wear fruit on our heads. Smile

I can't argue with that Bob Smile

Click here to view attached image.
“Next to music, beer was best.” - Carson McCullers
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4807 Posts

Profile of landmark
LOL!
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2013-05-01 12:34, David Marcus wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-05-01 11:59, mastermindreader wrote:
I always think of Carmen Miranda and am grateful that we also have the right to wear fruit on our heads. Smile

I can't argue with that Bob Smile


Great! That will be my next publicity photo!
David Marcus
View Profile
New user
3,375.97 miles outside of Paris, France.
81 Posts

Profile of David Marcus
Red certainly is your color. Smile

That's not meant to be political. It's just a comment on the dress and the hat.
“Next to music, beer was best.” - Carson McCullers
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Lobo-

Good thing the case wasn't named after the law professor.

Prosecutor Pumpernickel asked wryly, "Officer, did you give that man his Whitebread rights?"
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2013-04-29 17:38, landmark wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-04-29 15:05, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-04-29 12:10, General_Magician wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-04-29 11:46, LobowolfXXX wrote:
A real slimeball who met a fitting end.


You sound like you might have been a prosecutor at one time or are a prosecutor Smile.


No, but I would have liked to have been one.

Personally, because I greatly respect your intelligence and persuasive abilities, I'm very glad you're not a prosecutor. Because as someone committed to his job, you would have gotten too many convictions of people who were not guilty.


Belated thanks, by the way. Although, having said that, I'd like to think that the intelligence would contribute to keeping some wrongly accused people out of prison.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2013-04-29 17:47, General_Magician wrote:
Quote:
LobowolfXXX wrote:

No, but I would have liked to have been one.

I think you would make a great prosecutor. If you are still practicing law, I would go for trying to become a prosecutor. At least try to become a prosecutor. Not sure exactly how one becomes a prosecutor, but if that's what you want to do, go for it. Life is too short to waste, so you might as well be doing what you really want to do before it's too late. Sounds like being a prosecutor is what you really want to do.


Thanks for this, too. I have lots of things that I "really want to do," so it's not a compelling lost dream. I applied in Los Angeles a couple of years ago, and got down the pike a bit, but ultimately wasn't selected. There were several thousand people going for fewer than 100 spots. Getting the job, though, would have prevented me from taking advantage of other opportunities that have opened up since then, so it's all good.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Back to the topic of the thread, three more arrests, apparently in some sort of accessories-after-the-fact capacities.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20242 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2013-05-01 12:18, landmark wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-05-01 10:57, Dannydoyle wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-04-30 09:17, landmark wrote:
I declare you an enemy combatant Woland. I am President. What are you going to do about it?


And so we get to the heart of the issue and why all of our right are so important.

(Even the second amendment. It is in there you know. Look it up.)

Exactly Danny. I don't understand how one could passionately defend the 2nd amendment and not understand why this reviewless process of declaring someone an enemy combatant is so dangerous. And really, I don't care what Lincoln decided. He was a smart guy, but not always right. When dealing with the most fundamental right of humankind, life itself, it pays to be conservative and err on the side of liberty, sticking to the written protections, no matter what the circumstances.


Look at us all agreeing and stuff.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20242 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2013-05-01 16:28, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Back to the topic of the thread, three more arrests, apparently in some sort of accessories-after-the-fact capacities.


Yea turns out investigating isn't a bad move.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Wolves, perhaps, but not so lone.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15933 Posts

Profile of tommy
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
Well, during war time, democracy really ceases to exist. I reckon that given the US Army is an all volunteer army most of the country has not been at war these past 10 to 12 years except for about 1% of the population who volunteered to serve (this according to the Iraq and Afghan Veterans of America on the 1% remark). Now, mastermindreader spoke about the fact that it was un-constitutional for the US to put the Japanese into internment camps and this is probably all true. But it was a war (World War II), this is what happens in a war.

Others might argue that this didn't happen in other wars. Here is an interesting youtube video on World War I and how it was very unpopular when we first entered it and their were anti-draft riots (just as in the American Civil War when they had anti-draft riots in NYC). When America first entered World War One, their was also repression of labor unions and other groups, so this is nothing new. Anyway, here is the youtube video on World War One and that mentioned how propaganda kicked in and Americans spied on Americans. But that's war: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cehJIiWfJuw . I guess that's why Sun Tzu wrote "The acme of skill is to win without fighting" because when you enter into a state of war to fight, a lot of civil liberties and constitutional rights get suspended or repressed and nations can turn into police states to support the war effort.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Bomb Rips Boston Marathon Finish (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8..13..18..23..24~25~26~27~28 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL