The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Bomb Rips Boston Marathon Finish (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7..11..15..19..20~21~22~23~24..26~27~28 [Next]
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Moslems working for the CIA to destabilise Russia?

Graham Fuller, - ex father in law of the uncle of Tamerlan -former Deputy Director of the CIA’s National Council on Intelligence, stated:

"The policy of guiding the evolution of Islam and of helping them against our adversaries worked marvellously well in Afghanistan against the Red Army.

"The same doctrines can still be used to destabilize what remains of Russian power, and especially to counter the Chinese influence in Central Asia."

http://sarabia.blogspot.co.uk/2010_04_01_archive.html

Hmmm
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2013-04-27 17:10, Woland wrote:
Hi landmark,

Quote:
For those who don't have a scorecard, David Horowitz, like Woland, was a Stalinist in his youth, born of Stalinist parents

I would never have expected you to engage in such red-baiting. Of all people . . . .

Again you (willfully?) miss the point. No surprise. Not red-baiting at all. I'm referring to a specific kind of authoritarian personality that Horowitz exemplifies.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2013-04-27 22:29, tommy wrote:

Graham Fuller, - ex father in law of the uncle of Tamerlan -former Deputy Director of the CIA’s National Council on Intelligence...

Let's see: Fuller to his daughter- one degree of separation; then to his daughter's ex-husband - two degrees; to his daughter's ex-husband's sibling- three degrees; to the daughter's ex-husband's sibling's son - four degrees...

It all fits!! Tamerlan MUST have been an agent!
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
Quote:
Do police officers sometimes use trickery to obtain a confession? Yes. And when it backfires on them (as often can happen) they seriously jeopardize the State's case.

But it doesn't always backfire on them, does it? It sounds like when cops resort to trickery or deceptive means to obtain a confession or any other evidence, they are taking a gamble because they could be potentially damaging the State's case. Not sure if a prosecutor would always approve of such methods if it could potentially damage the State's case. Given the amount of rights we have on paper and that's given that somebody knows their rights, I can see where cops would want to resort to trickery or deception to gather evidence against a criminal to be sure he doesn't get away with the crime. It would seem that Dreadnaught using pyschological warfare on the suspect by arresting them for crimes he didn't commit as a means to "get around Miranda" (or is it really getting around Miranda if he already advised the suspect of his rights via some kind of card and the suspect then proceeds to talk because he fears being convicted of other crimes he is charged with but he didn't commit). A cop could easily just say he honestly thought the suspect committed those crimes even though he really knew the suspect didn't. How would a court know? A court could then turn around and allow the confession or other evidence to be admissable.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Ok I am going to summarize a concept known as "permissible deception" very succinctly. General we can't put you through law school or the police academy online. This is VERY abbreviated but Bob can tell you if I bet the gist.

The concept of permissible deception is where a police officer is allowed to mislead a suspect to the point where an innocent person will not be harmed. (And a suspect is stupid enough to fall for it.) I added that last part but it is integral.

Stop saying things like resort to trickery. You do not have nearly enough information to distinguish between trickery and techniqhe. It is sort of offensive.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Well, I am not a lawyer or police officer, but it would seem based on what you are telling me when it comes to "permissible deception" that in some cases, under the law, deception (which I consider deception just another word for trickery) is permitted to be practiced by a law officer. Which doesn't surprise me. I am not trying to make cops out to be crooked, I just know that in the real world, deception works very well when done properly and can get the job done and can be used in various professions. But again, I am not a lawyer or law officer so I don't know what is permissible and what is not in those professions.

What I can tell you is that deception is very important for the battlefield in military matters. Battlefield deception, tactically speaking is very useful and I am sure this is the case at the strategic level too for the officers (military officers) who plan strategy against the enemy. Personally, I put a high value on very good deception.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2013-04-27 23:25, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:

Graham Fuller, - ex father in law of the uncle of Tamerlan -former Deputy Director of the CIA’s National Council on Intelligence...

Let's see: Fuller to his daughter- one degree of separation; then to his daughter's ex-husband - two degrees; to his daughter's ex-husband's sibling- three degrees; to the daughter's ex-husband's sibling's son - four degrees...

Be that as it may, it is a close enough connection that Fuller may well have known / met Tamerlan. Sort of bizarre. Imagine if Fuller was consulted for his expertise and nominated an ex-in-law, one he knew was dissatisfied with his lot in life and ripe to be played, to be recruited by some under-cover CIA agent playing the role of an Islamic radical. The CIA gives Tamerlan support, wants to use him to identify other radicals or whatever it is they use these undercover ops for, but then Tamerlan slips his leash, strikes out on his own, etc. Just saying.

For those who do not remember who Fuller is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graham_Fuller

"Graham E. Fuller is an American author and political analyst, specializing in Islamic extremism ... In 1987, Fuller was identified as the author of a 1985 study that according to the New York Times was "instrumental" in the decision of the Reagan Administration to secretly contact leaders in Iran and eventually led to the covert sale of United States weapons to Teheran in what became the Iran-Contra Affair."
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Here is an article I found on interrogation. I will quote one part of it:

Quote:
wikipedia wrote:

Deception

Deception can form an important part of effective interrogation. In the United States, there is no law or regulation that forbids the interrogator from lying about the strength of their case, from making misleading statements or from implying that the interviewee has already been implicated in the crime by someone else. See case law on trickery and deception (Frazier v. Cupp).[1]

As noted above, traditionally the issue of deception is considered from the perspective of the interrogator engaging in deception towards the individual being interrogated. Recently, work completed regarding effective interview methods used to gather information from individuals who score in the medium to high range on measures of psychopathology and are engaged in deception directed towards the interrogator have appeared in the literature [2] [3] The importance of allowing the psychopathic interviewee to tell one lie after another and not confront until all of the lies have been presented is essential when the goal is to use the interview to expose the improbable statements made during the interview in future court proceedings.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interrogation

According to this article, Frazier vs Cupp appears to be case law in regards to the use of police deception when interrogating criminals or witnesses. So I looked up Frazier vs Cupp:

Quote:
wikipeidia wrote:

Frazier v. Cupp, 394 U.S. 731 (1969), was a United States Supreme Court case that affirmed the legality of deceptive interrogation tactics.[1]
Contents

1 Background of the case
2 Arguments during appeal
3 The court's decision
4 Subsequent history
5 References
6 Further reading
7 External links

Background of the case

Acting on a tip, police picked up and interrogated Martin E. Frazier, a 20-year-old U.S. Marine, about his possible involvement in the murder of Russell Anton Marleau.[2] Frazier, along with his cousin, Jerry Lee Rawls, was seen at a bar with the victim before the murder.[3]

During the interrogation, police falsely informed Frazier that Rawls had already confessed and implicated him in the murder.[4] Frazier denied any involvement in the crime, and suggested speaking with an attorney, but police continued to question him.[5] Police elicited a confession, which was used against him at trial.

Frazier was convicted of the murder of Russell Anton Marleau. Jerry Lee Rawls pleaded guilty to the same offense.[6]
Arguments during appeal

Frazier appealed his conviction to the United States Supreme Court on three main points.

The defense argued Frazier was denied his Sixth Amendment right to cross-examine the prosecution's witness, Rawls, because Rawls refused to answer questions after the prosecution referenced elements from his prior statements to police.[7]
The defense claimed, under Escobedo v. Illinois and Miranda v. Arizona, Frazier was denied his right to counsel during his interrogation because questioning continued after he suggested speaking with an attorney. The defense also claimed Frazier's confession was involuntary and should have been suppressed.[8]
The defense argued evidence used against Frazier was obtained during an illegal search of a gym bag used jointly by Frazier and Rawls.

Later case law has interpreted Frazier v. Cupp as the case permitting police deception during interrogations. The Court stated,

The fact that the police misrepresented the statements that Rawls had made is, while relevant, insufficient, in our view, to make this otherwise voluntary confession inadmissible.[13]

The language of the ruling did not specifically state which forms of police deception were acceptable, but the ruling provided a precedent for a confession being voluntary even though deceptive tactics were used.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frazier_v._Cupp

So it seems from Frazier vs Cupp that in some cases, the police are permitted legally to engage in deception when interrogating suspects and witness to get them to tell the truth of what really happenned.

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

All true, but has nothing to do with with what a Miranda warning requires. Everything you are talking about now involves statements made AFTER a suspect in custody has waived his Miranda rights and is undergoing interrogation.

It seems that the only issue involving Miranda in the case you quoted was whether or not the suspect, AFTER he had been Mirandized and agreed to talk, actually invoked his rights when he "suggested" that maybe he ought to see a lawyer. It appears that he didn't because he kept talking anyway. The thing is, once you invoke your right to remain silent, it's a good idea to do just that. Because once the warning is given, anything you say after that can, and usually will, be used against you.
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Mastermindreader,

From the way Lobo talked, it sounds like he must have seen or heard about a few cases where cops perjured themselves on the witness stand while being grilled by a defense attorney. "Did you read the miranda warnings from the card?!" "Uhhh, yeah, sure, that's what I did....that's it." I would assume that if a cop gets on the witness stand, he can't legally lie. Wouldn't he be perjuring himself?

I can see where he would be legally permitted to lie when interrogating and gathering evidence, but my understanding is if you are put on the witness stand, you can't lie, otherwise, it's perjury. I wouldn't think that would be the ethical and legal way to get around the Miranda warnings, but I guess there was no way to prove the cop was perjuring himself in some cases. But then again, it's not an idealistic world.

Anyway, the law sounds pretty cool, but I am not a lawyer and don't know much about the law. I did some of my own reading on business law but also played it safe and let the lawyer do my legal work for me, even though it wasn't cheap. Had to save the money to pay the lawyer. But I think the money was worth it.

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
Dreadnought
View Profile
Special user
Athens, Georgia
836 Posts

Profile of Dreadnought
Quote:
On 2013-04-27 16:42, mastermindreader wrote:
What you quoted is NOT a Miranda warning, nor is it a clever substitute for one. Miranda only applies to suspects who are in custody and/or are subject to custodial interrogation.

From the Miranda case- here are the requirements of the warning that must be CLEARLY given.

"The person in custody must, prior to interrogation, be clearly informed that he/she has the right to remain silent, and that anything the person says will be used against that person in court; the person must be clearly informed that he/she has the right to consult with an attorney and to have that attorney present during questioning, and that, if he/she is indigent, an attorney will be provided at no cost to represent him/her."

The statement you quoted doesn't come close to fulfilling those requirements.

Well Bob, maybe you should move your practice to New Orleans. Attorneys have tried to shoot it down in the past but it has always stood. It is clear to them, they don't have to talk to me, and they have the right to have someone else there. All of our interrogations were taped and judges have viewed the tapes and it has always stood.

I was actually taught it by a NYPD detective while attending a gang officer/intelligence seminar.
Peace

"Ave Maria gratia plena Dominus tecum..."

Scott

Would you do anything for the person you love?
Dreadnought
View Profile
Special user
Athens, Georgia
836 Posts

Profile of Dreadnought
Quote:
On 2013-04-27 22:13, mastermindreader wrote:
But remember, Miranda only applies AFTER a defendant is taken into custody.

Confessions obtained by trickery or by subverting otherwise getting around Miranda are excluded from evidence.

Do police officers sometimes use trickery to obtain a confession? Yes. And when it backfires on them (as often can happen) they seriously jeopardize the State's case.

State of Louisiana states that witnesses have to be mirandized. As for things backfiring... dot all the i(s) and cross all the t(s).

There are also a plethora of ways around Miranda. A lot of suspects just start talking on their own while waiting for the attorney. Then again, a well placed recorder inside the police car or the cameras in the booking and interrogation rooms have yielded gold. As have well placed undercover officers.

Peace and Godspeed.
Peace

Scott

tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Quote:
On 2013-04-27 23:25, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:

It all fits!! Tamerlan MUST have been an agent!

Small world?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

I'd like to see a case where a "warning" worded as you suggested has been held to be adequate. Even under the loosest interpretation of Miranda (see, for example, Florida v. Powell, analyzed at http://writ.news.findlaw.com/colb/20100315.html) it is clear that such a warning doesn't come close to meeting the minimum standards of Miranda.

The statement you gave doesn't even acknowledge that the suspect is in custody. It implies that he/she is merely being interviewed as a "witness." If that were truly the case, a Miranda warning wouldn't even be required. But if the suspect is arrested or in custody, the full protections of Miranda apply and the suspect must clearly be advised of his rights.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
John Yoo had some comments on the fact that the subject was advised to stop talking by a Federal magistrate:

Quote:
After reading yesterday's accounts in the Wall Street Journal, we see the consequences of the Left's counter-war on the war on terror coming to fruition in the inept mishandling of the interrogation of the younger Tsarnaev.

First, the Obama administration, buying the idea that terrorism is really a problem for law enforcement, decided not to designate the surviving Tsarnaev brother as an enemy combatant and to conduct his interrogation under the rules reserved for garden-variety criminals. The Obama Administration limited its ability to ask questions of Tsarnaev without Miranda warnings or a defense lawyer present only to a narrow "public safety" exception, which runs only to questions about imminent dangers and crimes.

Now the news comes that the person who actually read the Miranda warning to Tsarnaev wasn't even an FBI agent, but a U.S. magistrate judge (magistrate judges are sort of like junior federal judges -- they are appointed by the courts to assist them, but they are not real judges, and are subject to revision by real federal judges).

This is an outright violation of the separation of powers. It is not for federal judges, or worse yet their assistants, to rove around looking for criminal cases in which to act as law enforcement agents. The decision whether to read Miranda lies up to the executive branch. The right of the courts to affect the warnings and conditions of interrogation stems only from their control over the criminal trial of the suspect. Miranda itself is only a declaration by the courts that they will exclude from evidence any confessions received without a warning. Under the Constitution, the President is responsible for the enforcement of the laws, not the courts -- the courts' constitutional job is to decide cases and controversies that arise under those laws.

But the Obama Administration apparently did not protest very hard against this violation of the separation of powers. And we can see why. When the war on terror began, the Left's immediate reaction was to domesticate it by subjecting it to the same rules that apply to domestic crime. They have waged long struggles in the courts to invite judges to intervene in military and national security decisions that have never fallen within the review of the courts in any previous war. They succeeded in having the federal courts, for the first time in any American war, exercise habeas review over a military prison camp, at Guantanamo Bay.

If you live in that world, why not have judges intervene in the decision to read Miranda warnings to terrorists, even before the executive branch has decided the question and even before any case has come to the court? Just as Obama is trapped by ideology on the Miranda question, he is equally trapped by his anti-war roots in allowing judges to intervene where they have no right to tread. Our national security will only suffer as a result.

As you,ve point out, Bob, "Miranda itself is only a declaration by the courts that they will exclude from evidence any confessions received without a warning."
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
We give up! We give up!

Bang! Bang!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl......IEoAqfc4

Hmmm

Tommy
Dreadnought
View Profile
Special user
Athens, Georgia
836 Posts

Profile of Dreadnought
In Louisiana, although there is some leeway, witnesses have to be advised of Miranda before being questioned. Usually, if a person is being questioned about someone else who is determined to be the one and only suspect in a crime, then miranda does not have to be given, but most officers usually will. If there are a large number of witnesses that have to be questioned, Miranda does not have to be given, however; usually the witnesses will be gathered together and all advised of their rights before police start the questioning. At any traffic stop where a DWI maybe suspected, police cannot ask where the driver was coming from, have they had anything to drink, or, if I remember correctly, a field sobriety test without being mirandized. The reason I can't remember is that stipulation changed a few times. When I was working traffic, the suspect had to be mirandized before being given a field sobriety test.I will also add, this is as of 13 years ago. I now live in Georgia not Louisiana, although two weeks ago I was in the Big Ez to see family and friends and I stopped by to see a friend of mine and was advised she was mirandizing a couple of witnesses.

Peace and Godspeed.
Peace

Scott

mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Woland-

That article is a real stretch and the author's grasp of the facts seems to be either inadequate, or he has simply twisted them to suit his agenda. Please explain the role President Obama played in the Mirandizing of the suspect after he was taken into custody.

Also, please quote where the magistrate advised the suspect to stop talking. No such advice was given. The magistrate simply made certain that he understood his right to remain silent.
Dreadnought
View Profile
Special user
Athens, Georgia
836 Posts

Profile of Dreadnought
Quote:
On 2013-04-28 09:44, mastermindreader wrote:
I'd like to see a case where a "warning" worded as you suggested has been held to be adequate. Even under the loosest interpretation of Miranda (see, for example, Florida v. Powell, analyzed at http://writ.news.findlaw.com/colb/20100315.html) it is clear that such a warning doesn't come close to meeting the minimum standards of Miranda.

The statement you gave doesn't even acknowledge that the suspect is in custody. It implies that he/she is merely being interviewed as a "witness." If that were truly the case, a Miranda warning wouldn't even be required. But if the suspect is arrested or in custody, the full protections of Miranda apply and the suspect must clearly be advised of his rights.

They could be anywhere, however; when I was in intelligence, it was usually an interrogation room. But they don't necessarily have to be advised they are under arrest as they are usually just a "Person of interest" a witness. If the police have to rely on a confession, then the case should not be going to trial as the supportive evidence is probably garbage. The job of the interrogator is to gather information in an effort to deterine the direction an investigation should go, who police should concentrate on, possible motives, to clarify any confusion or to support any possible evidence to include circumstantial, just to name a few reasons. Should a confession come out of it, then so be it, but the confession is not the real reason.

Peace and Godspeed.
Peace

Scott

mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

I agree with that, insofar as you seem to be referring to non-custodial interviews rather than custodial interrogations conducted following an actual arrest.

Good thoughts,

Bob
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Bomb Rips Boston Marathon Finish (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7..11..15..19..20~21~22~23~24..26~27~28 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL