The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Does the desire to collect outrun our ability to perform? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
The Amazing Pog
View Profile
Veteran user
372 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Pog
As a beginner it didn't take long to realise that even in reading the most basic magic book I had quickly 'learnt' how to 'do' more effects and tricks than I could actually perform for people. Being able to perform required selection, practice, routining, scripting, rehersal, flight time, fine-tuning, more practice, more scripting, and then performance - a long, long process. But reading took minutes.

Yet, even though I could only perform a couple of effects from the hundred or so I already had access to, I wanted to buy more books/DVDs etc. Why? I wanted to read about my hobby; I wanted to find that 'killer' effect; I wanted to know more ...

Is this typical for beginners? And, for those who know, is it typical even for long-timers? Do magi always know way more than they can 'do'?
'One of the safest ways to make a good performance is to have tricks which work so easily, that mechanics can be forgotten and every attention devoted to presentation' - Corinda
jarro_2783
View Profile
New user
Sydney, Australia
56 Posts

Profile of jarro_2783
I can identify exactly with that. I'm trying to slow down, consolidate. I'll keep looking for new stuff, but I have to force myself to keep working on those few that I can and want to do. I'm keeping a diary of what I am up to, that seems to help.
Jarryd Beck, Sydney, Australia
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
It dose not get and easier.

Yo uwill always have more than you will ever perform. But the thing is you do need to look at what around and diffrent versions of doing stuff. You will also just be interested in how things work. Its not a problem collecting stuff but sometimes its good to stop and stock take.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6135 Posts

Profile of motown
Don't look at it so much as collecting, but acquiring various kinds of knowledge about our art. That could be about the performers who came before us, magic theory or better methods for accomplishing something. Perform and seek out the magic that's best for you.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I'll slip in this quick anecdote, and return later with additional thoughts.

Jay Marshall, late Dean of the Society of American Magicians, owner of MAGIC INC. with his wife Frances, one of the most influential magicians of the 20th Century, and my dear friend, may very well be unknown to some of the thousands who are suddenly 'discovering' MAGIC.

The Magic Collectors Association began having meetings in the back room or Magic Inc. about the mid '70s, I think. After one of the early 'conventions', a small group of avid collectors (make that COLLECTORS)were gathered in that back room. The conversation finally turned to "what I am interested in collecting", and "why".

Various magicians expressed their thoughts and desires. Each had an area of interest: P&L, Thayer, Brema, Klingl, Conradi-Horster props--early magazines--dealer catalogs--lithograph posters--Houdini, Blackstone, Thurston memorabilia, etc. etc. etc.

Finally, Jay stood up, with a big grin, and exclaimed: "I WANT IT ALL!" That ended the meeting!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Remagicon
View Profile
Regular user
Somewhere over the Rainbow
124 Posts

Profile of Remagicon
I can sincerely identify with this, and now I am left with some "unopened" effects that I can't really get to until I master the ones in my working repertoire that I now have. You really have to take the time to find out which effects are really worth it to you, and for what kind of magic are you looking for. I plan on going into restaurant magic so I'm stripping down my more long winded tricks or mostly self working ones for quick reset, stand up effects. Your friends will get bored of you performing to then so then move on to their friends or complete strangers if you have to!
"Ars Est Celare Artem"
It is art to hide art
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
In the beginning you need to experiment with the different aproaches to magic and see which one suits your style. I remember when I first started watching the manipulators like Rom Mcmillan with billiard balls and wanting to do that kind of act. I quickly realised that was never going to happen so turned to other ares of magic, and lets face it it is good to have a wide knowledge of our art.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
Andy Young
View Profile
Special user
Jersey Shore, PA
821 Posts

Profile of Andy Young
I don't collect effects, but I like to get books. I have a running order on which ones to do.
Andy Tauber
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver WA
106 Posts

Profile of Andy Tauber
I am constantly looking at new stuff. I do have to slow myself down so I can learn the things I want to preform now, but I love to see what's new and exciting.
Andy Tauber

www.magicalmischief.org

Twitter: @AMagicMischief

“Children see magic because they look for it.”

I used to think I wasn't a morning person, but things never got better after lunch!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
In 1945, I was 13, just beginning to perform, when I met Charles Fretz. Charlie owned a small side show and was booked for the summer season with Skerbeck's Carnival (which wintered in my home town). I visited the show and asked for professional recognition (!!!) which I was given. Charlie was a real 'itinerant mountebank'. We got acquainted during the week, and I helped tear down on the last night. Charlie gave me a set of P&L Rice Bowls, and an Abbott 'Unbelievable' Production Box. I had PROFESSIONAL PROPS!!! I used them for about 6 years, and then stored them when I joined the Navy. They were the beginning of "collecting"!

In '54, when Doc Frischkorn died, I bought his DEMON WONDER BOX. Now, I was 'hooked'! In the early '60s, I met Jay Marshall. OY! I soon acquired the "big habit"!

A professional should never 'fall in love' with a prop. I didn't, but I came close! P&L, Thayer, Brema, Merv Taylor ETC. Lithograph posters! Houdini, Thurston,; Blackstone, Birch, Irving ETC.

About l986, I decided I had to "get clean"!!! I started DEcumulating. I thought it would be traumatic. It wasn't. When I returned from a Collector Weekend with almost enough to buy a new car, I was cured.

If you enjoy collecting and owning 'bits' of history, and you aren't depriving your kids of new shoes, or your wife decent clothes, and your mortgage is under control, why not? Just don't think that THAT makes you a magician.

Bob Lund (Museum of Magic--Marshall, Michigan) told me years ago that he could not perform a trick. He had collected a building full of illusions, props, lithos, and files full of memorabilia, AND, he and Jay each had a phenomenal library. He was a professional writer, he loved magic history. He made 'his mark' in magic! (I helped him learn a bit with a TT, and he was thrilled--he now had an 'act'!)

If you're a beginning magician, you need to do some thinking. Do you really have the talent and the chutzpah to be a professional? --or do you simply enjoy being 'around' magic? Are your real talents more suited to building props, 'inventing' effects, or performing?

Not many of us have all three of those talents!?

If you want to perform, you had better realize that THE PERFORMER IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN THE PROP. Madly buying new "toys" and playing with those toys doesn't make you a magician! Invest THAT money for your kids' education!

If I get the urge, maybe, I'll add to this. Hopefully, I've planted a few thoughts!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Franky33
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Franky33
I enjoy both collecting and performing my magic.
The Amazing Pog
View Profile
Veteran user
372 Posts

Looks like its ok to admit to being something of a collector ... My excuse is that it's good to train my mind as well as my fingers Smile
'One of the safest ways to make a good performance is to have tricks which work so easily, that mechanics can be forgotten and every attention devoted to presentation' - Corinda
danhughes
View Profile
Regular user
Champaign, IL
115 Posts

Profile of danhughes
It's so much easier to buy another book or DVD than to practice and master what you already own.
Andy Young
View Profile
Special user
Jersey Shore, PA
821 Posts

Profile of Andy Young
Dan I agree with you. I like to have multiple sources when learning effects.
psychod
View Profile
Loyal user
I may not be a millionaire but at least I have
247 Posts

Profile of psychod
I have a lot more magic than I think I could ever perform. Frankly, a lot of it is stuff that nobody would ever want to perform. At different times of my life, I have employed different magic purchasing practices. When I first started out, I was looking for just about anything as long as it was inexpensive. Then I decided to spend a little more and I bought tricks that looked or sounded really cool. Then I went through and bought tricks that I knew I could perform. Now, I tend to buy tricks that fit what I like to do with magic. However, there are still times when I buy a trick just because it's a really cool effect.

Just my 3 cents worth,

Dave
Just adding my 3 cents worth because anybody can add their 2 cents worth...
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
Its true we are all addictics.There is a addiction to
magic that I think we all have in us.And were all looking
for that holy grail that we will never truly find.I perform regularly
but also love collecting too.And learning the history of it all.
But when purchasing a effect review it good before buying it because
they make it sound so wonderful but when you get it.Well its not what
you expected so it goes in the drawer.
Todd
The Amazing Pog
View Profile
Veteran user
372 Posts

Yes: addicts Smile I was a bibliophile even before the magic ... now it's even worse! Smile At least it's a fairly harmless vice ...
Jim Sparx
View Profile
Inner circle
Far Out, Texas
1144 Posts

Profile of Jim Sparx
My addictions are circular, they go with planetary tides. I throw myself into one or more at certain times of the year, collecting magic catalogs is more or less year round.
I paint, (acrylics)usually during the Spring until Fall when it starts to get too cold to be in my barn.
Teaching is a Fall and Winter thing, as well as revising the book I teach from.
Now I am into street photography and am writing a photo journalism book about the barrio during my youthful gangster years, and the main street to Juarez, Mexico from El Paso, South El Paso street. I belong to two writers workshops that meet weekly.
I also belong other forums besides this one, metaphysical, music and ranching (animals).
I also conduct dream workshops during the summer and I occasionally do astrological charts. Now I have to go feed my donkeys and get ready to see the doctor this afternoon.
When I get back I'll jab some more needles in my Dick Oslund doll...he, he....
The Amazing Pog
View Profile
Veteran user
372 Posts

That's a full life you've got there Spartacus! Smile
Jim Sparx
View Profile
Inner circle
Far Out, Texas
1144 Posts

Profile of Jim Sparx
I am 75 and will die soon. Make the most out of life while you can. No use to sit and mope about what could've been. Adios.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Does the desire to collect outrun our ability to perform? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL