The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Double Faced Super Triple Coin... WHAT!!! (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
Secret Mountain Lair in Conifer, Co
1483 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
Ok... so what gives with this Double Faced Super Triple Coin I just purchased... purchased used off the Café, but like new... I can see why it's like new... the set is unusable. The magnets between the "tail" coin and the middle coin are so strong that I can't even begin to slide them apart. I had to jam a fingernail between them (which in turn doesn't do wonders for the edge of the stickers.

Yes... I've read all the threads about using carmex and hand lotion or getting a Wiccan to cast a anti-gravity spell upon the coins, but that's not the point. How can someone sell a product that is engineered to be defective before it even leaves the hands of the manufacturer? What did I get? Some sort of prototype that was still in the development stages?

They DO NOT separate in the manner that Wong displays in the "Exposition" part of his DVD. There is nothing on the DVD that would suggest a "care and feeding" of the coins. I really don't know how anyone purchasing these coins "off the shelf" and not having knowledge or access to forums like the Magic Café would even have a clue as to how to possibly repair this defective product.

I just went and ordered some mouse tape (as suggested in one of the Café threads) in an effort to fix this set and make them moderately usable... although I hear complaints that the mouse tape clouds the look of the chinese coin sides... maybe I'll just use them without going as far as the appearance and disappearance of the chinese coins. Although I'm still concerned that the strength of the magnet in the "tail" and center coin will still defeat a smooth separation even with the mouse tape. Maybe I won't use them at all. We'll see.

Anyone praising this set must have purchased an extremely reengineered version of the set. My suggestion to anyone thinking of purchasing this effect.... get it from an online dealer that gives refunds or credits or find a brick and mortar store where you can try out the set.

My bottom line... this product is a piece of junk.
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
Hmmm. Felt the same way. Added a few Teflon discs then it was "just right."
TH

Occupy Your Dream
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
Secret Mountain Lair in Conifer, Co
1483 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
Quote:
On 2013-04-16 09:03, Atom3339 wrote:
Hmmm. Felt the same way. Added a few Teflon discs then it was "just right."


Ok... can you be a little more detailed? You added teflon disks where... on the chinese coin sides... and then dropped the second phase of the routine (the chinese coin phase) or do you have some sort of transparent teflon disks? Can you spell it out for me?

I can see how these coins can generally be a wonderful set... but out of the package, without modifications, they are dog-do-do.
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1460 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
I had a similar problem w/ Super Triple Coin. Invisible tape took care of it.
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
Secret Mountain Lair in Conifer, Co
1483 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
Ok... I want to make sure we are all talking about the same coin set. First off... I'm referencing a Double Face Super Triple Coin, not a Super Triple Coin. I don't know how you would put "invisible tape" on the Chinese coin side of a Double Face Super Triple Coin without causing the Chinese side to have a very odd look.

And the teflon disk suggestion still seems problematic since the teflon disk is not transparent... unless I'm missing something.

I'm still back to the same problem, and complaint about this coin set.

I would appreciate id "NicholasD" and "Atom3339" would go into a little more detail about the material they are using and the effect that it has on the look of the Chinese coin side of the set?
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3987 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Would it be possible to remove the Chinese sticker, add teflon, and then re-stick the Chinese sticker to the teflon?

I think (!) I have heard that additional Chinese stickers can be had, so if removing a sticker ruins the sticker, an alternate can be used.

Still, a tremendous hassle just to be able to make an item work as advertised.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
Secret Mountain Lair in Conifer, Co
1483 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
Quote:
On 2013-04-16 11:41, Chessmann wrote:
Would it be possible to remove the Chinese sticker, add teflon, and then re-stick the Chinese sticker to the teflon?

I think (!) I have heard that additional Chinese stickers can be had, so if removing a sticker ruins the sticker, an alternate can be used.

Still, a tremendous hassle just to be able to make an item work as advertised.


Do you have one of these? That doesn't make sense. Then the teflon would be UNDER the sticker, and you would still be sliding sticker against sticker, and the strength of the magnet hold would only be decreased only a smidgen. The problem with this set is the magnets are TOO strong and you are sliding paper against paper. Who in heaven's name would think that was a viable product to release to the public?
Waterloophai
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1231 Posts

Profile of Waterloophai
I had exactly the same problem as you with my "spectacular" Eisenhouwer coin.
I put a little (and I mean a VERY little) coat of vaseline on the chinese stickers and now it works like a charm.

http://www.google.be/search?q=vaseline&h......&bih=675
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3987 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On 2013-04-16 12:02, Al Desmond wrote:
Do you have one of these? That doesn't make sense.


No, I do not. I have only seen it discussed. Just trying to help a bit, but learning in the process is ok for me, too. Have had a couple of other Wong sets and have experienced similar issues, but not had a set with stickers.

Quote:
Then the teflon would be UNDER the sticker, and you would still be sliding sticker against sticker, and the strength of the magnet hold would only be decreased only a smidgen.


I see. I thought perhaps a slightly softer surface under the stickers might help (in addition to whatever difference there might have been in magnet stregnth, which I now see is negligible in this case).
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
Secret Mountain Lair in Conifer, Co
1483 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
Quote:
On 2013-04-16 14:13, Waterloophai wrote:
I had exactly the same problem as you with my "spectacular" Eisenhouwer coin.
I put a little (and I mean a VERY little) coat of vaseline on the chinese stickers and now it works like a charm.

http://www.google.be/search?q=vaseline&h......&bih=675


I appreciate your input... but I've seen all the solutions using "lubricants" and I'm really not happy with the idea of having anything gel like (carmex, vaseline etc) on my coins. Any sort of lubricant will eventually pick up dust and other microscopic detritus from your hands, the air and your working surface and will cause a wearing down effect on the stickers.

I've gone over every thread that mentions anything about this coin and I've come to the conclusion that no one has come up with a permanent solution that enables the coins to be usable at any moment, in a manner shown by Wong and his videos.

My lost is hopefully someone elses gain... I hope I've said enough on this thread that will be taken as a warning to anyone thinking of obtaining this coin gaff. It does not work in the manner shown in the numerous video ads and in the most, if you fix the problem with mouse tape or cover the stickers with teflon disks, you will have half the effect that you paid for.

Stay away from Johnny Wong's Double Face Super Triple screw-up (and if Mr. Wong wants to argue the point, he can certainly PM me if he sees these comments). And those who have said how they love the set are either deluding themselves or shilling for Wong. It's hard to admit you've spent a nice chunk of change on a piece of poop.

I admit that I did.
Daniel Clemente
View Profile
Special user
Mount Joy, PA
788 Posts

Profile of Daniel Clemente
Initially when it was new, YES IT WAS HARD to break in...I added a dab...JUST A DAB of some chap stick to the center of the Chinese sticker...thats the black part of the sticker where the hole would be if it was a real chinese coin....I played around with the gaff...I rarely have to apply anything to the coin, and it works...it opens smoothly, it closes smoothly...the stickers just need to break in a bit...the gaff is a GREAT coin gaff...Its probably my most favorite one I use...Just break the stickers in a little bit...it will work...and if you cant make it work with a little bit of chapstick because your being so picky about putting a lubricant on it, then sell it...I am sure someone will buy your coin with no problem...
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5086 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Like it or not, Carmex and Blistex seem to be the only feasible solution. I have a brand new set, not near a month old and I just apply a thin coat before using. Mouse tape will do absolutely nothing for you as it is not transparent. (Unless you found a source I haven't been able to). It has been discussed in several threads on this forum and the lip balm is the general consensus.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).






Smile Smile
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
Secret Mountain Lair in Conifer, Co
1483 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
Quote:
On 2013-04-16 16:40, Trooper11040 wrote:
Initially when it was new, YES IT WAS HARD to break in...I added a dab...JUST A DAB of some chap stick to the center of the Chinese sticker...thats the black part of the sticker where the hole would be if it was a real chinese coin....I played around with the gaff...I rarely have to apply anything to the coin, and it works...it opens smoothly, it closes smoothly...the stickers just need to break in a bit...the gaff is a GREAT coin gaff...Its probably my most favorite one I use...Just break the stickers in a little bit...it will work...and if you cant make it work with a little bit of chapstick because your being so picky about putting a lubricant on it, then sell it...I am sure someone will buy your coin with no problem...


It's a piece of poop and it's so typical of the mass produced crap offered to the magic profession since the internet opened up the possibilities of selling anything to a mass market. The only way to stop it is to hold these manufacturers and dealers feet to the fire and stop accepting this crap.

One shouldn't have to apply anything to the coins. The stickers could have been printed on teflon. The magnets could have been fine tuned like Tango does with his TUC's. There are numerous ways that this coin set could have been made to work the way it was advertised to work. No more than I like to buy software with bugs in it, I don't like props that have bugs in it and I have to find workarounds to make it usable.

Yes I could sell it... but not with a clean conscience... that's my whole point... which I guess was missed.
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
Secret Mountain Lair in Conifer, Co
1483 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
Quote:
On 2013-04-16 16:48, Poof-Daddy wrote:
Like it or not, Carmex and Blistex seem to be the only feasible solution. I have a brand new set, not near a month old and I just apply a thin coat before using. Mouse tape will do absolutely nothing for you as it is not transparent. (Unless you found a source I haven't been able to). It has been discussed in several threads on this forum and the lip balm is the general consensus.


Here...

http://www.amazon.com/CS-Hyde-Optically-......00REI90W

And if you look around... you'll find it wider. The example at the link above is 1" wide, which could be enough if placed across the center of the coin, but you can find wider widths on industrial supply sites. That tool me under a minute to find. Don't thank me.
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
Secret Mountain Lair in Conifer, Co
1483 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
You may want to Google "optically clear teflon tape"
BanzaiMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1593 Posts

Profile of BanzaiMagic
Quote:
On 2013-04-16 15:58, Al Desmond wrote:
I appreciate your input... but I've seen all the solutions using "lubricants" and I'm really not happy with the idea of having anything gel like (carmex, vaseline etc) on my coins. Any sort of lubricant will eventually pick up dust and other microscopic detritus from your hands, the air and your working surface and will cause a wearing down effect on the stickers.

My lost is hopefully someone elses gain... I hope I've said enough on this thread that will be taken as a warning to anyone thinking of obtaining this coin gaff. It does not work in the manner shown in the numerous video ads and in the most, if you fix the problem with mouse tape or cover the stickers with teflon disks, you will have half the effect that you paid for.

It's hard to admit you've spent a nice chunk of change on a piece of poop.

I admit that I did.

One man's poop is another man's Kopi Luwak (http://voices.yahoo.com/why-spend-600-dollars-cat-poop-coffee-starbucks-877217.html).

I tend to agree with you about perishable magic. For that reason, I rarely use flippers because the effect of Florida heat and humidity on rubber bands makes them less than perfectly reliable. That said, if you purchase a Johnny Wong DSSTC knowing the carmex issue in advance - which a simple search on the trick coin trickery thread would tell you - you should have known what you were getting. Also, if you are using carmex, it stands to reason that the stickers will eventually wear. Luckily, Johnny Wong makes inexpensive replacement stickers.

I am satisfied with my Walker DSSTC, but I can see why you are not. However, I see no reason why you could not sell it with a clean conscience, so long as you disclose the issues you have posted.

Your points about possible improvements are well taken. It seems to me that Johnny Wong has a habit of producing ingenious ideas that others take and improve upon - often without attribution.

Alan
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
Secret Mountain Lair in Conifer, Co
1483 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
Quote:
On 2013-04-16 17:21, BanzaiMagic wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-04-16 15:58, Al Desmond wrote:
I appreciate your input... but I've seen all the solutions using "lubricants" and I'm really not happy with the idea of having anything gel like (carmex, vaseline etc) on my coins. Any sort of lubricant will eventually pick up dust and other microscopic detritus from your hands, the air and your working surface and will cause a wearing down effect on the stickers.

My lost is hopefully someone elses gain... I hope I've said enough on this thread that will be taken as a warning to anyone thinking of obtaining this coin gaff. It does not work in the manner shown in the numerous video ads and in the most, if you fix the problem with mouse tape or cover the stickers with teflon disks, you will have half the effect that you paid for.

It's hard to admit you've spent a nice chunk of change on a piece of poop.

I admit that I did.

One man's poop is another man's Kopi Luwak (http://voices.yahoo.com/why-spend-600-dollars-cat-poop-coffee-starbucks-877217.html).

I tend to agree with you about perishable magic. For that reason, I rarely use flippers because the effect of Florida heat and humidity on rubber bands makes them less than perfectly reliable. That said, if you purchase a Johnny Wong DSSTC knowing the carmex issue in advance - which a simple search on the trick coin trickery thread would tell you - you should have known what you were getting. Also, if you are using carmex, it stands to reason that the stickers will eventually wear. Luckily, Johnny Wong makes inexpensive replacement stickers.

I am satisfied with my Walker DSSTC, but I can see why you are not. I see no reason why you could not sell it with a clean conscience, so long as you disclose the issues you have posted.

Your points about possible improvements are well taken. It seems to me that Johnny Wong has a habit of producing ingenious ideas that others take and improve - often without attribution.

Alan


To be honest with you... I was a bit confused with the various terminologies used in describing the various Johnny Wong coin sets. I wasn't absolutely sure (until I purchased the used set) exactly which variations on the themes had the problems. I attempted to ingest the numerous threads on the Café and still turned away confused. I'm not confused anymore.

And now you say "others take and improve." Who are these "others" and what name(s) do they give to their improved product(s)? I love the idea behind these coins, I don't love the execution of the props.
BanzaiMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1593 Posts

Profile of BanzaiMagic
Quote:
On 2013-04-16 17:07, Al Desmond wrote:
It's a piece of poop and it's so typical of the mass produced crap offered to the magic profession since the internet opened up the possibilities of selling anything to a mass market.


I am once again in agreement with your general point about mass produced magic crap and the effect of the internet, but I think perhaps you are wrongly lumping Johnny Wong in with unscrupulous internet sellers. I tend to think of Johnny as in the same category with Eddie Gibson - extremely inventive, but his products (at least those that I have) are not the best quality IMHO - although still very serviceable. Nevertheless, Eddie Gibson's considerable contribution to coin gaffing can not be dismissed. Johnny's contributions have been perhaps less, but give him time.

Regards,

Alan
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
Secret Mountain Lair in Conifer, Co
1483 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
Quote:
On 2013-04-16 17:41, BanzaiMagic wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-04-16 17:07, Al Desmond wrote:
It's a piece of poop and it's so typical of the mass produced crap offered to the magic profession since the internet opened up the possibilities of selling anything to a mass market.


I am once again in agreement with your general point about mass produced magic crap and the effect of the internet, but I think perhaps you are wrongly lumping Johnny Wong in with unscrupulous internet sellers. I tend to think of Johnny as in the same category with Eddie Gibson - extremely inventive, but his products (at least those that I have) are not the best quality IMHO - although still very serviceable. Nevertheless, Eddie Gibson's considerable contribution to coin gaffing can not be dismissed. Johnny's contributions have been perhaps less, but give him time.

Regards,

Alan


I'm not talking about his contribution to gaff ideas... I "dismissed" nothing about his inventiveness. If you read my comment above I even said " I love the idea behind these coins, I don't love the execution of the props." I'm talking about a prop... a product... not his ideas.
BanzaiMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1593 Posts

Profile of BanzaiMagic
Quote:
On 2013-04-16 17:31, Al Desmond wrote:
And now you say "others take and improve." Who are these "others" and what name(s) do they give to their improved product(s)?


Johnny Wong invented the "Split coin" which Kennedy "improved" and released as the "Supercoin". Also, the "Clone Coin" using the same principle was released by Merlins of Wakefield.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Double Faced Super Triple Coin... WHAT!!! (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL