The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Double Faced Super Triple Coin... WHAT!!! (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
Gipstein
View Profile
New user
Connecticut
76 Posts

Profile of Gipstein
I have the Wong JFK half dollar double face set. It IS hard to slide apart. I put on a bit of chapstick and a bit of talc and it makes it very smooth. For a while anyway. Repeated applications to the paper stickers have had no ill effect. The edges of the stickers did quickly fray, so I trimmed them off and applied a touch of gold leaf from a pen. The Wongs are not so well made but the effects you can do are great. I recently got the dollar size from Roy Keupers. Not paper decals on the back so it is not the double-faced version (though you can get the stickers from Zazzle for cheap if you want). It is very smooth because it is teflon sliding on teflon. I think the problem with the Wong set is that it is paper against paper. I like them both and can do some nice routines. I had Keuppers make me a magnetic Chinese coin and use that as a single transformation of the the whole dollar. I have Morgars magnetic pocket holdouts in both rear pants pockets and boy can you do some great stuff with the Super Coins, a single magnetic and these pocket magnets. You only need to drop your arm naturally to your side for an instant to ditch or retrieve a coin so the variations are truly endless. Love 'em.
Magic is where dreams become reality and reality becomes a dream.
Calvin Tong
View Profile
Special user
718 Posts

Profile of Calvin Tong
There are quite a few threads on this. try the clear plastic sheets used to apply on smart phones. They are inexpensive, thicker than mouse tape, and and very slippery. they have never let me down on STC. I don't have the DFSTC so if someone tries it on the Chinese coin side, let me know who it goes. and yes, the lesser the frictional surface, the easier the slide. :o)
Cal Tong
President Emeritus
IBM Ring 216 Silicon Valley
khuzhai
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of khuzhai
The screen protecter works superb! plus one for the tip!!
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2325 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
Not sure which ones your talking about.
But I have used some of their stickers
on my stc set.They work and look good also.
Todd
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2325 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
The top two selections mentioned stc. So I figured they were used by magicians before.
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
Since mine came with Chinese stickers.
I switch to a English penny and some other
foreign coin sticker.And left one as the Chinese
sticker it came with.So all three coins would be different.
Todd
metaplayer
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of metaplayer
Quote:
On Apr 16, 2013, Al Desmond wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-04-16 18:04, BanzaiMagic wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-04-16 17:45, Al Desmond wrote:
I "dismissed" nothing about his inventiveness. If you read my comment above I even said " I love the idea behind these coins, I don't love the execution of the props." I'm talking about a prop... a product... not his ideas.

I never wrote that you dismissed anything. In fact, I agree with you to an extent. I would say that most of my Johnny Wong gaffs are merely serviceable, not outstandingly made. I just choose to support the guy, knowing that perhaps the next great thing is going to come from his very inventive "little grey cells".

Well... I guess I have added to the canon of "how to possibly fix Johnny Wong's Double Face Super Triple Coin and make the prop usable." I've order the optically clear teflon tape I found above. If that doesn't work, I may go with the mouse tape on the sticker side and forgo using the Chinese coin side in a routine or I can simply put these away and go on.

...my STC was difficult also BUT the transparent teflon tape worked very well.
Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
924 Posts

Profile of Magician Shaun
I recently got one of these from Johnny Wong in Eisenhower and am awaiting the shipment of a Morgan Silver Dollar Version. I have found a few things that I would like to share. First, tail and head side can be difficult to separate. If your fingers contact both coins in the center and put any pressure that is not 'side to side' they will stick together even tighter. Some have suggested lubricant or tape. I suggest practice. Use a light touch. Let the skin of your finger and thumb contact the coin and 'stick' to the face and tail. Try to do so without pressing the two halves together. Also try to press a little off center. I have found that with minimal practice, maybe a couple of hours, I can easily perform the Ponta the Smith DFSTC routine. I use no lubricant or any teflon tape. The coins is exactly how it was shipped to me.

I would be happy to discuss the technique with anyone who wants to work on it.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Jul 13, 2015, Magician Shaun wrote:
Some have suggested lubricant or tape. I suggest practice. Use a light touch. Let the skin of your finger and thumb contact the coin and 'stick' to the face and tail. Try to do so without pressing the two halves together. Also try to press a little off center. I have found that with minimal practice, maybe a couple of hours, I can easily perform the Ponta the Smith DFSTC routine. I use no lubricant or any teflon tape. The coins is exactly how it was shipped to me.

I agree that in some cases practice alone may suffice and you should spend an adequate amount of time working with the coins to determine if that is indeed the case.
But keep in mind that there could be other factors in play as well.

It's possible that some coins manufactured are simply more difficult to separate for various reasons.
Also, a big factor is the dryness of your fingers which can vary greatly from person to person.

I have very dry hands and I worked with the coin I received a LOT and I assure you that no amount of practice or technique was going to allow me to separate the coins smoothly and easily, and I do feel they had been "broken in" by any reasonable standard.
The Teflon tape made a HUGE difference and made using the coins possible.

Plus, you are already using a gimmick so other than the additional expense what does it matter if one wishes to use Teflon tape?
It's not like you are substituting a gimmick for something that can be done with sleight of hand alone, you are merely enhancing an existing gaff.
You cannot see or feel the tape and it adds no significant weight or thickness, plus it lasts virtually forever. There is an added benefit that it does protect the stickers and allows them to last longer, although granted that they should last a long time regardless.

Not to mention also that although I bought the Teflon tape originally for use with the DFSTC, I have since found several other very helpful uses for it in addition to applying it to other gaffs.

But again, I do agree that you should work with it enough prior to using the tape if you wish to save the extra cost.
Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
924 Posts

Profile of Magician Shaun
I honestly think that any type of clear substance that you can put over the sticker to increase the distance between the 2 magnets would fix most of the issues that people have. The equation for the forces that 2 magnets exert shows that a very small distance has a very large effect on the strength. As such, putting 2 stickers on each "chinese" face could very well put enough distance between the 2 magnets with no need for the mouse tape. And I agree that there is no reason not to use anything that makes it easier for you to perform the effects and make them more surefire.

Depending on the manufacturing tolerances at Johnny Wong's manufacturer, it is possible for there to be a wildly varying amount of force needed to separate the two coins based solely on the distance between the 2 magnets.

Could someone with a "strong" DFSTC set try putting an extra sticker on each sticker face of the coin and see if that helps any. I would be very interested to know if it works in the real world.
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3433 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
It's not a question of increasing the distance to negate the force, it's that the stickers develop minute abrasions (scratches) that then act like sandpaper to inhibit the movement of the gimmicks. So, even if you double up on them you will still have the same problem. You either need to replace the stickers regularly, apply clear Teflon tape (although I'm at a loss to find it in 1.5 in.) or apply some of the remedies such as Carmex, spray starch or any other Voodoo potion you can find that works.

And that's more than I wanted to say on this subject!

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Jul 16, 2015, Stanyon wrote:
apply clear Teflon tape (although I'm at a loss to find it in 1.5 in.)
Cheers! Smile

Stanyon,
I got it here:

http://catalog.cshyde.com/item/all-categories-tapes-with-adhesive-ptfe-tapes/fep-optically-clear-ptfe-tape/fep-tape-23-fep-1-5-5?

$35 plus shipping for 5 yds, which should last you a very long time.
I'm still on my first roll and I've used it for all kinds of things, some not even magic related.

Best,
Bill
Pierre Emmanuel
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of Pierre Emmanuel
Hi,

I do not know what happens to your Wong set, but after a while the magnet lost its strength, so now the coins hardly stay together, and worst.. they do not want to align anymore.
Is there a way to re-magnetize them ?
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4246 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Hello, Pierre~

I have been able to re-magnetize magnets in the past by putting a weakened magnet against a much larger, stronger magnet and leaving it like that for a few hours or overnight. If you try this, you might want to try leaving them together for only a few seconds, then a minute..., etc... to (hopefully!) prevent the coin's magnet from gaining too much strength, but I have to say, that was not a problem at all when I re-magnetized some magnets.

Be sure to put some kind of material between the coin and larger magnet that can help you pull the coin off the magnet, or you may not be able to get the coin off very easily!

Good luck!
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
ficklestheclown
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of ficklestheclown
Im not sure if its the same with them all, but I had this problem and could not figure it out... UNTIL I noticed that there was a flaw on the FRONT coin that I got... This flaw was now on the coin in the middle, not the front coin. Sure enough I swapped the two coins and it works perfectly.

I'm not sure if anyone can confirm, but on my set I believe the magnetics are slightly different with all three coins, and they should go in the optimal order for them all to separate clean. If you reverse the two coins that look EXACTLY the same, you start getting the sticking issue.

I reversed them back to the way they came, and never have an issue with sticking. I had the EXACT same issue of them being inseparable and then damaging the edge of the sticker to get them apart, but only when they were out of order which is NOT obvious at all since two look exactly the same.

To be clear... Basically the order when received was

Coin 1
Coin 2
Coin 3

Two of these coins (1 and 2) look exactly the same. If you end up with the order incorrect like

Coin 2
Coin 1
Coin 3

It is impossible to "see" this unless you have imperfections on one of them. But this incorrect order will result in Coin 1 and Coin 3 sticking together to the point they cant be separated easy.

There is definitely a very noticeable difference in the way they work together even though they look the same. I am using the Eisenhower Dollar set. When following the routine, the order never gets into this "bad" order, so I think its a matter of working around this, and appreciating it for what it is. The fact they are different allows you to do some moves like Ponta The Smith does here at :28 seconds. You may not be able to do that smooth change without one magnet being slightly stronger etc. to help insure the change occurs with a simple slide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdUu_Jx0-V8
Gipstein
View Profile
New user
Connecticut
76 Posts

Profile of Gipstein
Just to jump in on the topic of smoothness and the separation of these coins.: I have the triple split coin using old Morgans, a set made by Roy Keupers. A wonderful set. I added 3 poker chip stickers I got at Dazzle (made for these coins)on the bak to extend the possibilities of the routine. Also good so that if I happen to drop one, it might land poker-chip side up and I can recover by saying it seems to have changed and go from there. If it was teflon, it just looks like a gaffed coin. I then added a small square of Scotch magic tape to the center of the Dazzle stickers. The coins slide as effortlessly as they did when they were just teflon. They have been that way a year with no problems. They never stick or get hung up, and the tape is not visible( especially of the coins are moving just a bit). I had terrible problems with my Wong JFK set sticking. I tried a mix of talcum powder and chap stick on them. Made them smooth and slide without getting bound, but eventually wore off. Tried a tiny bit of tape (at Paul Richard's suggestion) and they are now smooth and I have no problems with them separating. I prefer the Morgans for their size and shine. I ditch the final coin either in my shirt or coat breast pocket or at the back of my pants using a Joe Morger magnetic holdout. I can use the holdout, as well, to have a magnetic but otherwise regular Morgan to ring in/out or a Chinese magnetic coin to ring in/out. Combine all these options, the routines are truly endless with this set. In other coin work, I am now trying to master the non-gaffed "Winged Silver"version of Ponta the Smith. A challenge, but I am getting there.
Magic is where dreams become reality and reality becomes a dream.
Uncle Joe
View Profile
Regular user
Japan
194 Posts

Profile of Uncle Joe
Wow severe quality control issues
and for the price one should not expect substandard items.
No excuses.
TWOCAN
View Profile
Special user
PORT RICHEY FL
876 Posts

Profile of TWOCAN
Use it as a fridge magnet 👍🏼
Profits over people are a common thing . Be uncommon and be the best .
stevie c
View Profile
Veteran user
333 Posts

Profile of stevie c
Quote:
On Mar 1, 2021, TWOCAN wrote:
Use it as a fridge magnet 👍🏼

😀😀😀😀
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Double Faced Super Triple Coin... WHAT!!! (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL