The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Devil's Picturebook (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Giggip
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Giggip
Does anyone have The Devil's Picturebook by Derren Brown? I was thinking about getting it but I want to know a bit more about it. A little help would be appreciated.
Thanks!
"V"
View Profile
New user
UK
53 Posts

Profile of
Hi Giggip,

It's a great video and you can find more info by searching in the first year archives. Since you're posting on the Mentalism forum it's probably worth pointing out that the video concentrates on card effects rather than mentalism, though there are some psychological effects on the tape.

It's not for the beginning card freak (like me), though it is perfect as an inspiration to stick at learning sleights & knuckle busting moves.
david_a_whitehead
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
2122 Posts

Profile of david_a_whitehead
You can find the effects in his book, Pure Effect. I heard the video is excellent. I think Derren Brown is an excellent entertainer. And I'm all about mental magic with cards.
paulduggan
View Profile
Regular user
131 Posts

Profile of paulduggan
I think the video contains a few effects that Pure Effect doesn't.

It's a great video. Worth it just to watch and admire the Three Card Routine. His Card Under Box (partly based on Mullica's) is a fantastic lesson in misdirection. There's a very nice handling for OOTW, and the psychological stuff is superb.

Extreme Mental Effort will leave people stunned, and you'll laugh yourself silly when you see the method (not what you'd expect!).

If you like cards and/or you have any interest in mental magic, you won't regret buying this video.
It was a good battle, and they nearly won.
bigdunk007
View Profile
Regular user
138 Posts

Profile of bigdunk007
Best mentalism effect in here is the one with a one way forcing deck - genius performance.
Dr Omni
View Profile
Regular user
UK
199 Posts

Profile of Dr Omni
The video that contains demonstrations of the tricks in the book "Pure Effect" is in fact "The Derren Brown Lecture", available exclusively from International Magic in London (who produced the video and organised the magic convention where the lecture was delivered in - I think - 1999).

"The DB Lecture" is an introductory account of DB's approach to magic and mentalism. It is the one to get first, and I think it is actually more useful than the book "Pure Effect" because you learn so much from actually seeing and hearing the presentation.

Darren himself produced "The Devil's Picture-book", which contains more advanced - and spectacular - card effects, some of them combined with mentalism. Better to see "Picture-book" video after seeing "The DB Lecture" video.
Hypnotist and mentalist.
Websites: www.corporatemedservices.co.uk
www.doctoromni.com
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
If you're into card magic and some card mentalism, pick this up. Otherwise it's not worth it. I thought it was OK. The Out of this World was cool, but they're not easy sleights at all!
Keith Raygor
View Profile
Special user
Naples, FL
971 Posts

Profile of Keith Raygor
I highly recommend this video. A study of his presentational techniques will advance any viewer. He is a delightful master.
giochi
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of giochi
Where can I get a copy of this video?
thanks Smile
paulduggan
View Profile
Regular user
131 Posts

Profile of paulduggan
As far as I know the only place you can get it is here.
Zeftron
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Zeftron
They used to crop up from time to time on ebay. At the time I was looking he was only selling NTSC tapes, but now it seems that he's restocked the PAL format ones. Pity, I bought in haste and snapped up one of the 'few remaining' NTSC tapes, which I can only watch in black and white. Makes for interesting viewing of the Out of this World effect!

Zef the Impatient.
paulduggan
View Profile
Regular user
131 Posts

Profile of paulduggan
I've seen them go for ridiculous sums on e-bay, too. Why are people convinced that if something's on e-bay it must be a bargain? The number of winning bids that are above the normal retail price is incredible.
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
Try Derren's website. Otherwise for $150 I have a copy. Smile
hmk
View Profile
New user
uk
68 Posts

Profile of hmk
From memory its almost 3 hours long. His card skills are a sight to behold. For most mentalists his 'forcing'
is worth the price of the tape.

Good luck.

hmk
shahin
View Profile
New user
Germany
89 Posts

Profile of shahin
What a great Tape! Three hours full of solid card magic. Great routines, great technique, great presentation---what do want more? "Smoke" is probably the most talked about routine on this tape (also in Pure Effect).

--Shahin
ninjaduffy
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
332 Posts

Profile of ninjaduffy
Buy it.
"V"
View Profile
New user
UK
53 Posts

Profile of
Has anyone heard whether Mr Brown will be releasing a DVD of this? I have the video but would happily buy the DVD version for the extra user friendliness inherent in being able to jump to specific sections.

By the way, if you get to see it, make sure you sit through the credits and beyond.
Jonathan
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma
1223 Posts

Profile of Jonathan
What was the deal with the thing at the end? I caught the David Blaine reference but couldn't understand the first part of it.

Where could I get the lecture tape? I would be interested in that.

Jonathan Grant

P.S. I did laugh out loud at the explanation of the extreme mental effort.
mike stevenson
View Profile
Loyal user
276 Posts

Profile of mike stevenson
The thing at the end was Derren's rather good impression of Guy Hollingworth, and his lecture tape can be brought from internationalmagic.com.

Regards
"V"
View Profile
New user
UK
53 Posts

Profile of
Laughed out loud at "Extreme Mental Effort"? I must admit the complex sleights involved did make my head spin, but the effect was worth it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Devil's Picturebook (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL