The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » 13 steps to Corinda (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

bigdunk007
View Profile
Regular user
138 Posts

Profile of bigdunk007
What would you guys say is the best couple of effects in this book?
david_a_whitehead
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
2122 Posts

Profile of david_a_whitehead
Pg 314 before your very eyes...I like card tricks and this one stood out to me as being impromptu and utterly baffling to the layman when presented well. Of course there are tons of other classics in there too but that one is my favorite.
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2674 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
It's not the effects, it's the techniques.
Learn to pencil read. That's a proper mind reading effect.
Cornelius
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
213 Posts

Profile of Cornelius
I don't use any of the effects in this book, although they are good ones. Like Bev says, it's the techniques, not the effects. It's not the effects but the presentation.
Steve Hoffman
View Profile
Regular user
143 Posts

Profile of Steve Hoffman
13 Steps to Mentalism is densely packed with hundreds of effects, techniques, and other material about mentalism.

It is in fact an entire TREATISE on mentalism.

It's not the kind of book one purchases or glances at to find one or two tricks.

Steve Hoffman
Harris0n
View Profile
Loyal user
leeds uk
290 Posts

Profile of Harris0n
"There are times when the truth is necessary and times when myth-making is necessary." Nick Cave
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5406 Posts

Profile of Lord Of The Horses
Quote:
On 2003-11-27 20:09, Steve Hoffman wrote:
13 Steps to Mentalism is densely packed with hundreds of effects, techniques, and other material about mentalism.

It is in fact an entire TREATISE on mentalism.

It's not the kind of book one purchases or glances at to find one or two tricks.

Steve Hoffman

And the effects given are NOT even in most cases the best applications of the principles to which they refer.

They are just good and practical examples of the application of one or more principles explained in a given step. Period.
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
giochi
View Profile
Special user
502 Posts

Profile of giochi
I find something new in it nearly everytime I look at it. Its one of those books you can pick up and reread after a few months and find a great effect. On of my new favorites is to ask the spectator to think of any 3 digit number. You pull out a sealed envelope that is taped shut, the spectator tears it open, inside is another sealed envelope which they can tear open. Inside of that is a postcard (they can pull it out) with the thought of number written on it.
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
Performing MENTALISM is NOT performing magic. It is NOT about "effects" - something you would learn if you were to read Corinda thoroughly instead of skimming it for tricks. The same goes for skimming Cassidy, Busch and most other hard-core mentalism books instead of reading it.
PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
Anabelle
View Profile
Special user
951 Posts

Profile of Anabelle
What Paul wrote is so true!

Anabelle Smile
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2674 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
Magician - Someone who buys an impression device so he can see what the spectator has written and then make it appear out of a hat.

Mental Magician - Someone who buys an impression device so he can see what the spectator has written and then tell him what it is.

Mentalist - Someone who thinks that having to look at the impression left by the spectator is Plan B.
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
I truely agree with the three latter opponents!
Bev really pinpointed it!
So did Paul. I did not have any other books than Corinda and Annemann when I first started to looking in to mentalism many years ago. I guess it took 5 or 6 years indepth studying them, before I moved on.

My opinion is, that if someone is really serious about mentalism, they would never skim for tricks. For me, the effects mentioned in these books are exemples of the philosophy and psychology of mentalism only.

I see the same in Richard Busch's books, and know that I don't need any other books for years, after I got his.

Sven

Sven
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » 13 steps to Corinda (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL