The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » BOR for adult audiences? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2918 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
I'm new to doing BOR sales, but obviously as many suggest, I see the potential in having this sort of thing available after a show. I'm doing a dinner theater show right now at a nice restaurant venue. You have to be at least 16 years old to attend, but we are finding that there is rarely anyone under 18-20 showing up.

I've considered the basic things as products to sell such as posters, t-shirts, gift certificates, or even a deck of cards with instructions for a trick. Other than that, I'm not really confident in what to pursue selling, probably because I'm not even sure what all the options are. Does anyone have any ideas on where to start with this sort of addition to a show? Thanks!

David
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3658 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
James Munton has a small force book magic trick, suitable for adults, available to buy the reprint rights to. I would also suggest you perhaps use the t-shirt for an effect, ie. a simple reveal, you could have the card effect where they think of one card from a spread of cards on the front side, and the reveal on the back where their card is not there, or turned over.

Blair
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2918 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Quote:
On 2013-04-17 16:54, Blair Marshall wrote:
James Munton has a small force book magic trick, suitable for adults, available to buy the reprint rights to. I would also suggest you perhaps use the t-shirt for an effect, ie. a simple reveal, you could have the card effect where they think of one card from a spread of cards on the front side, and the reveal on the back where their card is not there, or turned over.

Blair

Thanks for the info Blair! I'm intrigued by the idea of using the shirt within a trick as that makes it something they can do over and over for with friends, starting other conversations relating back to my show (it's all about me after all lol)
dearwiseone
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1143 Posts

Profile of dearwiseone
I second James Munton's book, great results with adult audiences!

Kevin
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2918 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Would that be this one?

http://www.magicsells.com/IBOR.html
dearwiseone
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1143 Posts

Profile of dearwiseone
Yeah Dave, that's it. It's the "Little Book of Quotes." Well worth it, a great trick for adult audiences.
James Munton
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, TX
1199 Posts

Profile of James Munton
Thanks for the nice comments, folks! Let me know if you have any questions - james@jamesmunton.com
misterillusion
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, California
738 Posts

Profile of misterillusion
I am a big fan of BOR sales. I am currently selling my magic book, simple tricks, etc. This, though, sounds really interesting. I really do not do too much of a "pitch" other than mentioning that I have items for sale and what they are. One of the appealing aspects of this is the instructional material. With the book I sell, my name is printed on the book in the "by line". Would I be authorized to do the same on this item? Also, I have noticed that only about 10% of the people attending are actual buyers of my BOR--probably due to my lack of a "pitch". What would be your estimate of per centage of the audience buying this item when presented properly?
Thanks,
--Charlie
May every day be magic!

http://www.misterillusion.com
ufo
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
1185 Posts

Profile of ufo
My experience with BOR is that it may be hard to sell one item but a bundle of items that get 'cheaper' as you buy more (the basis of the Coney Island pitch closer) is very persuasive. A book for $10 is great but two books, a poster and a fortune telling fish for $25 seems like madness to pass up. End result is more dollars as income while the perception is that the bargain factor was huge.
Don't forget some applied psychology looking at this from the potential buyers point of view. Happy Earnings!
"What's your drug?" she asked. "Hope" he said, "The most addicting one of all."
James Munton
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, TX
1199 Posts

Profile of James Munton
Charlie,

Yes, with my book there is a page where you add your marketing info. That is an important feature.

It is hard to say a percentage because the types of events vary so much. For example, when I do a sales meeting, almost everyone in the room buys one. At other kinds of events I may only sell a couple. What I usually try to do is get the booker to bulk buy them for everyone as an add-on sale. I don't do many public shows, so I can't give you a number on that. But if you are 'only' selling to 10% at your shows, that is still a lot of extra income over the course of the year!

Best,
James
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3658 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
It should also be mentioned that because of the market you are selling to (adults) and the type of effect (mentalism) you can ask a far higher price, giving you a greater ROI. It is also a "special" book, and a magic effect that you are selling, so increases the percieved value as well.

It is also easily assembled on your own.

Blair
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » BOR for adult audiences? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL