The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Texas Waco Explosion (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Looks like a very bad accident has happened.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22195495
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Strange timing.

Tomorrow is the twentieth anniversary of the end of the siege in Waco.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
That thought crossed my mind too, but I suspect and hope, it was an accident.

That said, the article above indicates, "The West Fertilizer plant is right on the edge of town, only a few hundred metres from houses, a school and nursing home."

How could the authorities let that happen? Clearly a fertilizer plant is going to be at risk for accidents. How do you build it near a school? Where I live, you're not even allowed to have a bar next to a school, never mind a dangerous chemical plant.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Perhaps the factory was there first.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2013-04-18 09:46, Woland wrote:

Either way, this demonstrates that Texas is clearly pro-business.

Either the fertilizer plant owners were given permission to build near residential areas, or property developers were given permission to build homes next to a de facto bomb plant. Well done, Texas!
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Does this mean we will hunt down and bring to justice all capitalists--or at least put them on no-fly lists?
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
If only you were the dictator of the world, balducci, then everything would be perfect, wouldn't it?
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2013-04-18 10:56, Woland wrote:
If only you were the dictator of the world, balducci, then everything would be perfect, wouldn't it?

Wow, where does that come from?!?

Okay, Woland, so which is it you support? Building homes and schools right beside dangerous chemical plants, or vice versa?
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Of course everyone but yiu is an idiot.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
One factory happens to be built in a location that you find undesirable, and this is your pretext for an attack on Texas in general, and on being "pro-business." As if "Texas" built that factory and those homes.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Woland, you know that Texas has conservatives and centrists [/irony] can't stand those types.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Hi Lobo,

I regret making a sarcastic remark. All this criticism of the Republic of Texas must be getting to me.

The explosion at the BASF plant at Oppau in the Palatinate in 1921 was much worse. Although ammonium nitrate was known to be somewhat explosive, nobody apparently appreciated how explosive it was. A packed mass of solidified ammonium nitrate - about 5,000 tons - was ignited when pickaxes and small charges of dynamite were being used to break it up for removal. 500 were killed.
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4632 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
I agree with Balducci - but I wouldn't condemn a "pro-business" approach, there's nothing inherently wrong with that.

What is shocking, is that "business" (for that, read "money")....is commonly put above the interests of the general population, of the environment, and of common sense, all over the World. Money, it seems, is more important than anything else.

But, a fascinating thing, is to consider "what is money"?

The bits of paper and metal discs we're familiar with, mean absolutely nothing to any living creature, apart from Human Beings. They are inert, produce nothing, and merely represent something. What exactly, can that be?

Money is, in fact, to all intents and purposes, a representation of Human Energy. Money is exchanged for the efforts and time of Humans, in almost every circumstance.

It's ironic, then, that "Human Energy" is placed above the interests of Human Beings.

Potty
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2013-04-18 13:54, Woland wrote:
Hi Lobo,

I regret making a sarcastic remark. All this criticism of the Republic of Texas must be getting to me.

The explosion at the BASF plant at Oppau in the Palatinate in 1921 was much worse. Although ammonium nitrate was known to be somewhat explosive, nobody apparently appreciated how explosive it was. A packed mass of solidified ammonium nitrate - about 5,000 tons - was ignited when pickaxes and small charges of dynamite were being used to break it up for removal. 500 were killed.

Well I'm certainly glad Texas learned from that experience. Or didn't.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Our condolences to America, to the people of Texas and all those families who have had their people killed and injured in this tragedy. I feared far more people had been killed and injured. They who helped save so many from all of that which looked so very bad to me, whoever they are, must have done a magnificent job.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2013-04-18 13:54, Woland wrote:

You don't have to go that far back. The Texas City explosion in 1947 of a tanker filled with ammonium nitrate leveled much of the town killing 581 and injuring over 5000. It is considered the worst industrial accident in American History.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Hi Payne,

Thanks for that history! I mentioned the Oppau explosion because it was the first big ammonium nitrate explosion, I think. The engineers and workers at the BASF plant thought they were operating within safe limits. This is what the BASF website says about it:

Quote:
On September 21, 1921, the new Oppau site is rocked by a huge explosion that claims more than 500 lives and causes considerable damage to the site and neighboring community. The accident occurs during blasts carried out to loosen ammonium nitrate sulfate fertilizer stored in a warehouse.

At the memorial service, Carl Bosch says: "The disaster was caused neither by carelessness nor human failure. Unknown natural factors that we are still unable to explain today have made a mockery of all our efforts.

The very substance intended to provide food and life to millions of our countrymen and which we have produced and supplied for years has suddenly become a cruel enemy for reasons we are as yet unable to fathom. It has reduced our site to rubble.

But what is that compared to the victims whose lives this disaster has claimed. We stand here today helpless and powerless, and whatever we can do to comfort their grieving families and the injured is nothing compared to what they have lost."
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2013-04-18 12:18, Woland wrote:
One factory happens to be built in a location that you find undesirable, and this is your pretext for an attack on Texas in general, and on being "pro-business." As if "Texas" built that factory and those homes.

Texas has cultivated a background of "cowboy retoric" making certain the country understood that they knew what was best and that they didn't need any "leftist" rules or regulations.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On 2013-04-18 10:09, balducci wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-04-18 09:46, Woland wrote:

Either way, this demonstrates that Texas is clearly pro-business.

Either the fertilizer plant owners were given permission to build near residential areas, or property developers were given permission to build homes next to a de facto bomb plant. Well done, Texas!

Hmmm, doesn't seem that just Texas builds potentially dangerous things near civilization. Well done, pretty much the entire East Coast!

http://www.psr.org/resources/evacuation-......odImYAKw
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Oh yes we get it already. The world would be so much safer if we just had more government control of all aspects of our lives. No explosions or fires would ever happen and the world would be the perfect temperature if only liberals were in charge of everything. Things would be just like the utopia called Chicago where everyone gets along and nobody ever even raises their voice much less kills anyone. Certainly the gun pandemic is stemmed at the city limits.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Texas Waco Explosion (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL