The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Texas Waco Explosion (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2013-04-19 13:14, rockwall wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-04-18 10:09, balducci wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-04-18 09:46, Woland wrote:

Perhaps the factory was there first.

Either way, this demonstrates that Texas is clearly pro-business.

Either the fertilizer plant owners were given permission to build near residential areas, or property developers were given permission to build homes next to a de facto bomb plant. Well done, Texas!

Hmmm, doesn't seem that just Texas builds potentially dangerous things near civilization. Well done, pretty much the entire East Coast!

http://www.psr.org/resources/evacuation-......odImYAKw

Precisely. That's why many of us in those zones can't wait to shut them down. Fukushima was bad enough thanks.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Danny, you're sounding like it has to be all or nothing. Do you think a fertilizer plant should be allowed to be built next door to your house? Or should any chemical company have that right?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Isn't everything all or nothing with the holier than thou group? You guys know so much better. So much smarter than everyone. Just tax more just grow government and give you more control and the works will be a perfect place.

Just give up a few common sense things to you at central planning and things will be better.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2013-04-19 21:55, Dannydoyle wrote:
Isn't everything all or nothing with the holier than thou group?

You misspelled "groups."
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2013-04-19 21:55, Dannydoyle wrote:
Isn't everything all or nothing with the holier than thou group? You guys know so much better. So much smarter than everyone. Just tax more just grow government and give you more control and the works will be a perfect place.

Just give up a few common sense things to you at central planning and things will be better.

Danny, do you think a fertilizer plant should be allowed to be built next door to your house? Or should any chemical company have that right?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I am perfectly happy with zoning requirements.

Are you happy with the amount of power the government has or do you think they need even more?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
Quote:
On 2013-04-20 05:03, Dannydoyle wrote:
Are you happy with the amount of power the government has or do you think they need even more?

Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2013-04-20 05:03, Dannydoyle wrote:
I am perfectly happy with zoning requirements.

But aren't zoning requirements part of the whole "government telling us what to do?"
And, while we're on the subject, what were the zoning regulations that allowed either a fertilizer company to build near a residence,
OR if the company was there first,
what were the zoning regulations that allowed residential building near a fertilizer plant?

And would you be OK living in a neighborhood that had regulations that allowed this?
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
How far near?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious

In alll the bickering here please do not forget that there were victims
and we should pray for them and not sight of their suffering.
Blessed Be!
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Ed who said they must live there?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
The same people who said diners had to eat at restaurants where people smoke.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Oh THOSE people.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
It seems to me that some of the arguments that take place here have little to do with facts and a lot more to do with arguing for arguments sake and taking pot shots at each other for personal reasons or just for the heck of it.

Zoning laws are hardly an example of the mythical monolithic governmental control that some are constantly obsessed with. They are passed by LOCAL governments- those that are as close as we get to direct government by the people. That said, it's hardly unusual for business interests to exercise considerable influence over local governments.

Yes, it is extremely short sighted and dumb for a fertilizer plant to exist next to a nursing home, a school, and a residential area. But in cases like this there are often financially interested parties who argue convincingly that it's a great idea for people to be able to live near the place where many of them work, while downplaying and even intentionally obfuscating the potential dangers.

And thus it will always be- some will learn by their mistakes, some won't, and others will simply take the route that is most profitable without regard to the consequences.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2013-04-20 17:13, mastermindreader wrote:
It seems to me that some of the arguments that take place here have little to do with facts and a lot more to do with arguing for arguments sake and taking pot shots at each other for personal reasons or just for the heck of it.

Hi, sir! You must be new here.

Quote:
Zoning laws are hardly an example of the mythical monolithic governmental control that some are constantly obsessed with. They are passed by LOCAL governments- those that are as close as we get to direct government by the people. That said, it's hardly unusual for business interests to exercise considerable influence over local governments.

Yes, it is extremely short sighted and dumb for a fertilizer plant to exist next to a nursing home, a school, and a residential area. But in cases like this there are often financially interested parties who argue convincingly that it's a great idea for people to be able to live near the place where many of them work, while downplaying and even intentionally obfuscating the potential dangers.

And thus it will always be- some will learn by their mistakes, some won't, and others will simply take the route that is most profitable without regard to the consequences.

Well-put. Strongly agree.

rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
I think most of the complaints started because of the attempted implication that this was a uniquely Texan problem. But I agree, reasonable zoning restrictions are not a bad thing.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-04-20 17:29, rockwall wrote:
I think most of the complaints started because of the attempted implication that this was a uniquely Texan problem. But I agree, reasonable zoning restrictions are not a bad thing.

Yet again we agree on something. When it comes to local government, I imagine that things are run pretty much the same way everywhere.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Man, it's a veritable luv fest! I agree too!
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

There's a good comedy sketch in here somewhere-

(I realize this would be in terrible taste considering the tragedy in Texas. But am thinking here of the absurdity of the whole situation.)

Setting: County Zoning Board meeting

Topic: Allowing a zoning exception so that a fertilizer plant can be erected in a residential area

Proponent: Just think of the advantages. Folks can walk to work.

Opponent: But what if it blows up?

Proponent: They'll still save a fortune in gas and, besides, we can build a new hospital there too.

(Am trying to work in a line that points out that fertilizer plants are, by definition, a place where sh!t happens anyway.)
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Well I loomed it up. That is how things are supposed to be. Much more local control. I agree.

But when local problems happen many want to jump to federal solutions. Now we have a disagreement.

I am a fan of zoning laws. Never said I wasn't. But a large problem is the one Bob mentioned. It can not be legislated away I am afraid.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Texas Waco Explosion (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL