The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » The Great Cannoli (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

NocturnalMagic
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of NocturnalMagic
Doing my first show of the quarter tomorrow. Going to be a mixed group of age and parents in a small room setting. Thinking my set list wii be something like this.

Opener - Wonder Bubble - Explain how when I was a kid I thought that the bubble wand was magic, since I could make things appear and disappear.
Mismade Flags - 3 kids, ask for fearless to handle the blue flag.
Coloring books - I use them with 2 kids that I use to do some voice effects, and end with a mouth coil.
Square Circle - Basic routine
Closer - Dove Pan - ask for the 2 x best artist in the room to come up and draw me a lollipop and gum. Blowpops for all.

Even though I studied cards forever, I do not forsee adding them into a kids show. What do you alll think?
magicjoe
View Profile
Special user
759 Posts

Profile of magicjoe
If this is going to be your first show in some time then I do not believe you have enough routines. I say this because you might be rushed and not having timing down. A simple silk vanish could be good with some fun lines and a gimmicked wand. Card tricks can be ok if when you get there and find some older kids and the card effect can play for a large crowd.
Hope some of this helps.
Joe
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I agree it looks like you have about a 20 minute show to me.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2126 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
Theres TONS more stuff you could put in here, or if your going for short, fine, or mabye your patter fills in the rest. I agree 100% with you on not using the cards. The only card effects which are good for kids under 9 are the electric deck and a fountain effect.
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8695 Posts

Profile of harris
I agree that you have studied cards forever.

Bubbles are fun..glad to see you are using a flag in your program.

For a while I tried adding playing the National Anthem (USA) on my ukulele.
Though some grandparents loved the Jimmy Hendrix bit, it dragged for the kids, so I took it out.

I also agree that I can use some cards...with lots of schtick...with some kid shows.

Harris ..still 2 old to know everything
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1197 Posts

Profile of danfreed
Think outside the box on some of those routines. For example, I do a mismade flag thing, but I only use the regular flag silk, I don't use the other ones that came with the trick - I have a whole bit with the Kandu Comedy Karton that switches over to a change bag and when I produce the flag, the first 2 times I use goofy props instead of the mismade flags, and it's much funnier than when I tried it the way you are "supposed" to do it. Oh, and you can do card stuff for kids, depending on the ages and type of card tricks you do. Search the forum here because there has been many posts on that subject. Cardtoon 1 and 2 works great for kids around 6 and up.
randyburtis
View Profile
Inner circle
1257 Posts

Profile of randyburtis
How long is the show supposed to be? IF you have entertaining moments in these tricks, I would respectfully disagree with Al that there is only 20 minutes of stuff here

opener- could easily run 4 plus minutes
mismade flags, my version runs 8-9 minutes easily
coloring book is a good 5 minutes
Square circle- depends what you do with it, I have similar prop and I get 8-9 minutes out of it and it is a closer for me
Dove pan- with bits of business I imagine this could run 5 or more minutes

so I see 30 plus minutes...

If you like card stuff try to get some flash cards, Creative Magic produced some great ones, they re visual,easy to remember and allows you to do effects that with regular cards just don't work
Randy Burtis
Calgary's Kid Show Magician
www.calgarymagician.com
www.Facebook.com/calgarymagician
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » The Great Cannoli (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL