The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » A "fix" for Double Faced Super Triple Coin (Teflon Tape seekers please read) (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
Secret Mountain Lair in Conifer, Co
1454 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
So... I wanted to open a new thread on this so we can get right to the meat of the this, without anyone having to wade through 2 pages of complaints/opinions. I'm reporting back on my test of using "optically clear Teflon tape" on the Double Faced Super Triple Coin to compensated for the "stickiness" of the stickers and the strength of the magnets.

Here is the product "CS Hyde Optically Clear PTFE FEP Tape With Silicone Adhesive, 1 inch x 5 yards" and here is the link http://www.amazon.com/CS-Hyde-Optically-......00REI90W

I placed a strip of this on one of the stickers where you have both stickers rubbing against each other (did that make sense?). The "pieces" I'm talking about is the middle and tail coin, sticker sides. It works wonderfully. It gives the 2nd (middle coin) and third (tail coin) a rather nice smooth glide. So... on to some observations about placing this tape on the coin...

1) Careful... don't get you fingers on the sticky side of the tape, at least on any of the area that you are going to place over the sticker... those fingerprints will show up, impressed into the silicone adhesive... you want to use a long enough strip that you can handle it by the ends, and the middle of the tape never touches your fingers or another surface.

2) Careful... when you cut off a strip of this tape, it tends to curl a bit at the edges... you must keep it taut before you place it on the sticker... otherwise it can curl onto itself and you wind up with a curled up, stuck to itself strip of tape.

3) Lay your coin on a wooden cutting board... sticker side up.

4) Place the tape across the middle of the coin... overlapping the edges... don't pull too tight on the ends of the tape... it stretches a bit and will tend to "retract" after it's on the sticker and then trimmed. You want to keep the strip of tape pulled flat out between your fingertips... but not stretching it.

5) Use a finger to squeeze out any bubbles near the edges. If you have any bubbles in the middle, or any creases in the tape, you'll have to take it off and start again.

6) Turn the coin over and using an Exacto blade, on the wooden cutting board, trim the excess tape around the edge of the coin.

7) This is optically clear tape. It solves the problem you have with mouse tape (which is translucent, not clear) or Teflon stickers, which have their own transparency problems.

8) It is extremely thin... adding no perceptible thickness to the coin set.

Now... I haven't road tested this in the sense of how long it will last, will it yellow, will it stay put... but preliminary tests for the last two hours appear promising.

I hope this helps. This tape may be usable in other situations that call for Teflon tape... or possibly a substitute for Teflon stickers. But those experiments are for the future... right now I am very happy with my Double Faced Super Triple Coin.
Magic is great
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of Magic is great
Very good to know! Thanks for taking the time to do a write up & also for the link to the optically clear tape - I think I will be able to use it for a few things Smile
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
1454 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
I just realized one thing I didn't make clear in the above narrative... I only put the strip of take on the "tail" coin, on the sticker side. No need to put any on the "middle" coin, sticker side. And the face coin (front coin) slides fine the way it is... metal against sticker.
BanzaiMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1578 Posts

Profile of BanzaiMagic
Thanks Al.
Daniel Clemente
View Profile
Special user
Mount Joy, PA
791 Posts

Profile of Daniel Clemente
Good info...thanks for being the test subject for this. I'll be purchasing
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1704 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
What is an effect that can be done with this gaff?
BanzaiMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1578 Posts

Profile of BanzaiMagic
Hi Ray,

Here is Ponta performing a couple of effects:

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Doub......M=NVPFVR

Alan
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5294 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Thanks Al! It was very much appreciated.

Jim
Daniel Clemente
View Profile
Special user
Mount Joy, PA
791 Posts

I just ordered the tape...I look forward to receiving it
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1704 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Alan, thanks. I just watched the Johnny Wong demonstration, and boy was that confusing. The Ponta stuff looked great.
ralphs007
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of ralphs007
Thanks Alan,that was nice!
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him".
James D. Miles
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1704 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Does anyone know what size coin Ponta is using? Looks like an Eisenhower dollar.
jconstantine
View Profile
Special user
Long Island New York
566 Posts

Profile of jconstantine
Eisenhower
Misdirect yourself regularly before you attempt to misdirect others!!! Smile Smile Smile
jconstantine
View Profile
Special user
Long Island New York
566 Posts

Profile of jconstantine
Eisenhower
Misdirect yourself regularly before you attempt to misdirect others!!! Smile Smile Smile
Daniel Clemente
View Profile
Special user
Mount Joy, PA
791 Posts

Got my tape today (quite quick from Amazon..only waited 2 days!) I tried it and its working smooth as BUTTER!!! this is a GREAT fix to the problem we all have been having!!!!!
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
1454 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
Quote:
On 2013-04-22 15:27, Trooper11040 wrote:
Got my tape today (quite quick from Amazon..only waited 2 days!) I tried it and its working smooth as BUTTER!!! this is a GREAT fix to the problem we all have been having!!!!!

I'm glad my little discovery was helpful. You owe me 40 dollars Smile
jconstantine
View Profile
Special user
Long Island New York
566 Posts

Profile of jconstantine
I ordered some as well, and as Trooper says it does work great. I just wish I could get a wider strip as I want to use this on my morgan DFSTC and also cover the whole coin on the half dollar size. There is a very small section that doesn't get taped with the 1 inch width. I know it really doesn't matter. Probably just my OCD kicking in. SO if anybody can fint this same tape in 2 inch width, please post a link.
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
1454 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
Quote:
On 2013-04-22 16:25, jconstantine wrote:
I ordered some as well, and as Trooper says it does work great. I just wish I could get a wider strip as I want to use this on my morgan DFSTC and also cover the whole coin on the half dollar size. There is a very small section that doesn't get taped with the 1 inch width. I know it really doesn't matter. Probably just my OCD kicking in. SO if anybody can fint this same tape in 2 inch width, please post a link.

I haven't found it wider, but I have the one inch strip on my Eisenhower DFSTC and it works fine, and you really can't see it.
jconstantine
View Profile
Special user
Long Island New York
566 Posts

Profile of jconstantine
Quote:
On 2013-04-22 16:51, Al Desmond wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-04-22 16:25, jconstantine wrote:

I haven't found it wider, but I have the one inch strip on my Eisenhower DFSTC and it works fine, and you really can't see it.

I'm sure it's fine but it's me. I will know the whole surface isn't completely covered. Like I said it's wonky ocd!
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5294 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
I'm curious; why place the tape only on the sticker side of one coin? I know that you start out with the Tails coin matched with one of the Heads coins, but in some routines I perform with the DF-STC, the Tails coin must match up with both of the Heads coins. I'm going to put tape on all three sticker sides.

Also, has anyone had to remove this tape yet? Does it damage the underlying sticker?

Thanks!

Jim
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » A "fix" for Double Faced Super Triple Coin (Teflon Tape seekers please read) (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL