The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Essentials DVDs - Opinion (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

The Amazing Pog
View Profile
Veteran user
372 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Pog
Hi Folks,

What do people think of the various Essentials DVDs for the ID/St*****r etc. I think they're hosted by Daryl, who is a great teacher. I notice that they're at a very decent price, but in a way that worries me. Anyone got them? Any good for a beginner?
'One of the safest ways to make a good performance is to have tricks which work so easily, that mechanics can be forgotten and every attention devoted to presentation' - Corinda
whiteoakcanyon
View Profile
Special user
899 Posts

Profile of whiteoakcanyon
A very good choice for new magicians. Daryl is a great instructor and teaches both the fundamental elements as well as strong effects. This is a very good way to learn about Sponge Balls and so on. I really like the clear instruction coupled with effects that are real practical tricks that will get strong reactions. A great buy, don't let the price deter you, it is filled with great ideas.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Anything that Daryl has produced, written, whatever, IS worth three times the asking price. His teaching style is superb and the man is recognized as one of magic's best performers. You simply cannot go wrong with Daryl.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
They've been great, mostly.

The card dvds, LOVED the Linking Rings DVD.

Disappointed in the Cups and Balls DVD, though. The entire DVD was very much oriented to a beginner, so in that respect, it takes a much different approach to the other DVDs in the series that I have seen. In those, there stuff for beginning and experienced magicians. There was no history of the effect in this DVD (one of my favorite aspects of these EOS DVDs); the routine was about as simple as a C&B routine can get. He made reference a few times to a 2nd DVD on the Cups and Balls where more advanced things would be undertaken, so it appears that he is using 2 DVDs to cover the C&B ground.

For what it is, it is a very good DVD. I bought it not realizing it was as entry-level as it was.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Magic-Scott
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Profile of Magic-Scott
Daryl is a wonderful teacher. To answer your question, I believe the Essentials DVDs are great for beginners....
The Amazing Pog
View Profile
Veteran user
372 Posts

Sounds like a big thumbs up. Thanks guys Smile
'One of the safest ways to make a good performance is to have tricks which work so easily, that mechanics can be forgotten and every attention devoted to presentation' - Corinda
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
I have a few of them and they're all excellent. Daryl is one of magic's best teachers. The production values are top notch. I was amazed at how long these DVDs are considering the price. They're the best bargain in magic.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of videoman
For the price you can't go wrong.
Highly recommended!
The Amazing Pog
View Profile
Veteran user
372 Posts

Are any of them better than the others, or are all about the same quality?
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
They're all of a high quality. Some may be more appropriate than others for you.

Since many of the titles have been posted on, you shouldn't have trouble finding information. Just do a search.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
The Amazing Pog
View Profile
Veteran user
372 Posts

Can anyone compare these Essentials DVDs with the Handpicked Astonishments downloads? Are they the same sort of thing, or a different animal? Which is 'better' and for whom?
ablanathanalba
View Profile
Loyal user
Can't really boast with only
289 Posts

Profile of ablanathanalba
I've got the ID DVD and it was my first exposure to Daryl; I think he's great. I learned a couple of handlings I didn't know and they came with a nice history lesson about the effect. I definitely plan to check out some of his other stuff. I hadn't heard about Handpicked Astonishments, looking forward to hearing more about that one.
fyi2
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of fyi2
Pog, asks a great question, looks like hand picked astonishments and EOS hit the the same core areas, has anyone tried both?

Tony
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
Between those two projects, only one currently overlaps, that being the invisible deck.
– Karl Germain
The Amazing Pog
View Profile
Veteran user
372 Posts

Of the two on the ID how do they differ?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Essentials DVDs - Opinion (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL