The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Prediction recommendation (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Swest
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Swest
Hi all

I have searched the forum but couldn't quite find exactly what I was looking for, which is as follows:

I am a performer of close up magic, but would like to do a mentalism effect for some coworkers. I would like to do an impossible prediction. In essence a prediction of a scientific result. Ideally something of the form of a prediction which can be sealed but in view at all times. I would like to know what you would recommend in terms of the cleanest/easiest way/product for achieving this, as I am relatively unfamiliar with mentalism techniques. I am not looking for revelation of methods, but perhaps a pointer as to what I should look into/consider. I work with a very clever (and cynical) bunch of people so you may bear that in mind!

Thanks in advance
Chris Stolz
View Profile
Inner circle
Mississauga, Ontario
1958 Posts

Profile of Chris Stolz
What's your budget?
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10618 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Great question!
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2630 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
When performing for a group of skeptics, whether informally or on stage, your best best is to build from plausible demonstrations to more impossible ones.

If they are truly cynical then even the most deceptive effects will not convince them of anything. Start with something simple yet plausible then build from there.

It is often said that prediction effects are among the most difficult to present convincingly. It is a sentiment with which I fully agree.

My best advice to you is to have a real think about what you are trying to convey. Are you telling them that you can genuinely peer into the future? As stated before, that's a real tough sell for even experienced mentalists. Figure out what you want others to ultimately believe about your abilities and only then decide on specific effects.
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

B2B Magazine Test!

Best impromptu progressive Ace Assembly ever!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
Swest
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Swest
Thanks for the replies.

Firstly, budget, I'd say I'd probably be willing to spend up to $150 perhaps on something if it's worth the money and not a 'one time' thing.

Steven - agree totally with you're reasoning about building up. Example of the old 'too perfect' principle. They are familiar with my close up magic, and are properly fooled by that, so the suspension of belief already has a leg up from that I guess.

I wouldn't say I was genuinely trying to convince them of some kind of clairvoyant ability. I try and live by Paul Harris' ethos of instilling a 'moment of astonishment'. For people who are usually very logical and cynical, when you get that reaction, it seems to be amplified as they are so unused to something that can't be subject to reason. I guess this is why I am looking for the 'cleanest' version - something they can't see a way out of. I feel that if it is clean enough, it is then up to me to present it so as to do it justice. I also think that the subject of the prediction is such that it has a slight 'mysticism' about it which will help the effect. I don't think I particularly want to convince them of something about my abilities, more that there is something truly unusual happening.
Ulises Galeano
View Profile
Regular user
Indiana
132 Posts

Profile of Ulises Galeano
Impossible Envelope- Paul Stockman
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10618 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
What is the point of doing mentalism if you don't want to project abilities?
Unknown7777
View Profile
Regular user
176 Posts

Profile of Unknown7777
Mindpro I thinks he's going for a more mental magic type thing
Mike Ince
View Profile
Inner circle
2041 Posts

Profile of Mike Ince
PM'd
The secret of deception is in making the truth seem ridiculous.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10618 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On 2013-04-19 22:44, Unknown7777 wrote:
Mindpro I thinks he's going for a more mental magic type thing

That's what it seemed. More like a magician doing a mental-based effect.
Mike Ince
View Profile
Inner circle
2041 Posts

Profile of Mike Ince
There was a simple Ted Lesley headline prediction published in a set of 2003 lecture notes that can be presented as either mental magic (as Mr. Lesley did) or as mentalism. The Glass Box is very similar. There are so many answers we could say, "Just start buying books and stuff and you'll soon find something you like." So many good methods to choose from.

Nothing wrong with mental magic, only be prepared for people asking, "how did he do that? Did he switch envelopes?", etc. Compare that with people asking, "does that guy have some sort of precognitive ability? I wonder how often he's right?"

If the crowd has already seen you do four-ace tricks and sandwich effects you're probably not going to get the latter reaction. If you're perceived as a trickster you're going to get a weaker reaction than if folks wonder if you're really doing it. Steven Keyl's post above is worth re-reading. Precognition is a hard ability to sell. What if instead you make them believe you can control the outcome? Better yet, what if you really can control it? I only do two prediction effects, and in both cases I really do cause the outcome to happen under "test conditions". My favorite way to predict an outcome is to make it happen. Of course, when performing for certain crowds (local magicians for example) they won't believe even if you actually make a real prediction. Case in point: I predict a close run-in with a snake in the next 48 hours. When it comes true I'll be accused of trickery. And of planting the snake.

Too much mentalism talk. I just hit my limit. Going to watch a movie and live Friday night life. When I hit my equilibrium I'll return. Gotta' find that Drambuie...
The secret of deception is in making the truth seem ridiculous.
mickym
View Profile
Loyal user
236 Posts

Profile of mickym
I would try the "Invisible Deck" (much below the mentioned budget) and/or MD of Promystic (which might be beyond the mentioned budget).
You can build a very nice routine with either one.
Good luck.
Swest
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Swest
Thanks for the suggestions all.

Mickym: I have an ID, and know exactly what MD is, but neither fit the bill here. I specifically want to predict a particular scientific quantity, it would be much too contrived to derive that from a deck of cards or die.

Mike: Thanks for PMs. My worry with the glass box is that it requires significant audience management. Whilst I'm not averse to it, it's just an extra risk factor.

Ulises: That looks very clean, and, given the price, certainly looks worth a look!

Mindpro: The reasons I don't want to project some kind of clairvoyant ability are thus: 1. In general it doesn't wash with a 'headline prediction' type effect - "why not predict the lottery?". 2. The audience is familiar with me doing close up magic. 3. The audience isn't the type to buy the idea of 'real' clairvoyance.
dusty
View Profile
Veteran user
352 Posts

Profile of dusty
Swest,
"I specifically want to predict a particular scientific quantity," that statement tends to infer that they don't think you could do such a thing. This leads me to suggest two options. You force the outcome or you switch in the solution once it has been arrived at. I am guessing if your group are science-savvy then they will know if you forced them to arrive at a solution you already knew, so switching in a hitherto unknown formula or result will blow them away.

I am leaning towards suggesting a crystal casket style switch or if you can enrol the assistance of a confederate then a last minute add-on or add-in is the answer.
PM me for a better description.
Regards,

Dusty

aka Max Gordon.
"Always give 100%, Unless you're a blood donor!"

Exclusive publications available from:

www.solutions.yolasite.com
Swest
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Swest
Thanks dusty. I agree with you, and yes there is no way that I could predict (not accurately). Forcing the outcome is not an option unfortunately, and would be in rather bad taste, as I would then have to reveal it was forced and tell them the 'real' answer. I would like to restrict my investigation to something not using a stooge, at least to begin with, so will look into a crystal casket.
Atlas
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Atlas
Swest,

I have sent you a PM.

Best,

Atlas
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Brian brushwood is making an effort to expose the ID so watch out. He may soon destroy a great effect that he didn't create !!! Masked Magician wanna be !!!
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Atlas
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Atlas
Since the topic has been raised, I thought I'd share a video of a recent performance that employed a prediction.

I often perform at a smaller local venue as it allows me to test and perfect material before rolling it out elsewhere. The MC at the place is so thoughtful and considerate to everyone that I thought I'd create a moment specifically for him.

He was shaking after the show and doesn't want to see me again:

http://youtu.be/DDtYMbBzrT4

Best,

Atlas
david12345
View Profile
Special user
714 Posts

Profile of david12345
Atlas, that was beautiful!
Ulises Galeano
View Profile
Regular user
Indiana
132 Posts

Profile of Ulises Galeano
I agree as well, Atlas man that was such a great effect.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Prediction recommendation (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL