The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Do you really want to busk? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Nick W
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of Nick W
It sounds poetic: travelling around the country, if your lucky, the world. performing for thousands of people. making some cash. gaining chops. people kinda know you...maybe. meeting gaggles of women (or men, whatever your into), showing them around, charming them with your ability to rough it. being happy you can do a show from a small case. sound fun? well, it is. but heres the truth: if your looking at busking as a means to make a living. stop. get a noose and hang yourself first. you'll thank me in the next life. people wont really respect you. even if you have a rocking circle show and make $300 a show. your still just gonna be a hustler. if you are in a relationship, you will break up. if your needing money for payments, might as well sell it all now. if you wanna get good on the streets you will suffer dearly for it. you will stay broke for at least 5 years before you see any kind of mild success. and after 5 years, if you make it that far, you will have hatred for society. you will see the bad in people. maybe sometimes the people will make you feel allright, but only for a minute. and if you want respect from your peers, forget it. magicians respect a good street performer. but they rarely think much about them. they will only think "this guy works for less". or they will say "yeah I respect how he does it out there in the streets, its rough". and that's all the props your gonna get from a magician. many well known magicians were taught by street magicians, becuase a buskers up front style works. but that's it. do you see many street magicians on covers of magazines? I can think of only one. when was the last time you saw a group of buskers at a convention? admit it, its rare. if you want my real opinion, stay off the streets. its rough. your heart might possibly grow with anger for your fellow man.
street performers really give their heart out to the people. but in return they get looked down on, expected to work for less and get the change from the bottom of their pocket. stay off the streets unless your willing to have your soul crushed for 5 years, or 1000 shows, whichever comes first.
gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1101 Posts

Profile of gallagher
Hey Nick, I wish you hadn´t had written this,., right now.
I was just getting ready to go to bed.
wuuu, how can I sleep with THIS running round my brain!?!

At first, I thought, "Quick, something funny,..something poetic,.. defend the `Art´".
or, "****!,.. Nick´s having a hard phase,... needs some help."

Then it hit me, "***, a lot of what he said IS true."

Nö. Nö. Nö!
IT AIN´T SO!

,it doesn´t have to be so.
Different values have to be associated.
The `life´, the form,.... the Art; must be viewed differently.
It can´t be practiced, as a business.
It´s a process. All involving.
A commitment,... not two Dvd´s and a hat full of cash.
Slow?, Long?? YES., but that´s the way I want to live.
Slow. And Long.
Honest. Open. Down,.... and Up.
Work,... but Honest.
( Honour is derived from Honest, or?)

I walk away from EVERY Show, with a wide chest,... and head up.
Every Show.
Acknowledge the smiles.

The Streets are the greatest Stage the world has to offer.
The last chance for `the Losers´,
....the biggest challenge for ´the Winners´.

....and, the Streets don´t have to be `dead ends´.
They can take you,... they will inevitably take you somewhere.

Yes, I want to Busk.

I probably still won´t be able to sleep,
but "thanks" anyway Nick.
And forget the noose.,.... you´ll never believe what´s going to happen tomorrow!

give it easy,
gallagher.
Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
922 Posts

Profile of Magician Shaun
I agree, and I don't. If you want to be a professional magician and you don't have Fism winning Chops, or hell maybe even if you do, your odds of getting there like Lance Burton, Penn and Teller, David Blaine, Criss Angel, David Copperfield, are like what 6:numberOfMagiciansInWorld? But if you want to make a living, show people that you are a good entertainer, and have days where you make more money per hour than most advanced professionals then the streets can get you there.

Is it going to be easy? HELL NO, just like Nick said it's tough. But the streets can take a dedicated performer and even if he has average Chops, it can mold him/her into a STAR. In five years on the Streets you can learn more than most magicians/performers learn in a lifetime! If you use that knowledge wisely you can create a good life for yourself performing magic. You can get bookings, restaurants, parties, events, and when you aren't booked you can always go home to the Streets and work.

I think that for the performer that really wants to make it, the Street can prepare you for any type of performing. A good street magician can thrive in any type of venue. I don't think that is true for a magician that started in any other way. The streets prepare you like nothing else could. It's hard, but WOW is it rewarding!
Stperformer
View Profile
Loyal user
289 Posts

Profile of Stperformer
Nick......IMHO, you are right on!!!
Nick W
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of Nick W
This just came to me: if you want to start out in busking, and have an addictive personality, GO AWAY! you will have fresh cash in your pocket and if your an alcoholic, its gonna catch up. It will start with a drink before a show. and your gonna get loose lipped and people will enjoy how you can be quippy and funny. then your gonna do two drinks. next thing you know your gonna be on the **** for every saturday evening show.

however, if you use the streets as a venue for getting good, fast...it will be so. just don't get caught up in the lifestyle you think your seeing.
mike bonfield
View Profile
Regular user
182 Posts

Profile of mike bonfield
Hi.Nick W have you worked as a magician busker ?
magic123
View Profile
Loyal user
273 Posts

Profile of magic123
The bGreat thing about formums is that every one can have an opinion, BUT does not necessarly have it right .

Most established stage performers ( D, Blane is Not One ) could Not hold an Audiance on the streets.

Yet Most establishes Buskers ( yet again D. Blain is not one either ) Can & will hold an audiances attention, Nick unless you have

Auctialy " Busked" , then all you are offering is an opinion.

People do things for many Different reasons.

magic 123
Nick W
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of Nick W
Mike b:have I worked as a "magician busker?"............... yes I have and do.

magic 123: I assure you what I offer is very far from opinion.
tboehnlein
View Profile
Inner circle
ohio
1783 Posts

Profile of tboehnlein
Since Nick will not toot his own horn I will let a video say a thousand words6:40 in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBHiwr6DDNM
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5362 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Nick W
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of Nick W
This post is not about me. its about something very real and potentially hazarderous to your health.....busking!
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Nick is a great busker, one of the most unique and original acts I've ever seen.

And he is speaking the truth ... total dead on honesty here ... I've always said that no matter how great you are, to them you are still just a guy standing on the sidewalk.

-JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
Bobby Maverick
View Profile
Loyal user
252 Posts

Profile of Bobby Maverick
This is the same thing that I try to get across to fellas wanting to quit their jobs and hit the road. They are in love with an idea that it's some romantic notion of life and they're gonna be happy happy happy. It's hard to understand for some but unless you already had a successful attitude and work ethic, and had your stuff together you wont do to well out here.
The truth is this...if you are having issues at home, and at work, and have to quit a job and leave your "life" behind to find "happiness" on the road, or on a street corner then the real problem is going to go along for the ride.

It's you.

You are the reason for where you are in life. Nobody else gets that blame.

I have seen so many fall, that it makes me sad.The really sad thing is they never get back up. They fall to alcohol, drugs, indecision, self-pity, lack of work ethic, and so many other things. I believe they do this because they built something up in their heads as to what it was gonna be, and then they get kicked in the junk and it tears them apart. Perception is reality, and they first perceive based on fantasy, then they are met with reality. The key here is that you get back up. Falling sucks, but you need it. It will remind you not to make the same mistakes again, and you will become a bit stronger. Unfortunately, many never get back up.
mike bonfield
View Profile
Regular user
182 Posts

Profile of mike bonfield
To Nick W yes you are Class
Mike in U.k
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8361 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hey Bobby M! 'Youse said it real good!"

I have very limited busking experience. Most of my life was doing school assemblies (Kindergarten thru High Schools, and some colleges, too. I started in a sideshow in the '40s. (I was in mid teens) --And, along the way, I've done everything needed to put money in the 'grouch bag'! (I even got some sawdust in my shoes, when I clowned in a mud show)

While managing a phone room for the old KRAMIEN show, in California, I tried my hand at busking (San Francisco) and did OK. I proved to myself that I could do it.

Being a 'one trick pony' aint enough! Nobody pays to see a one ball juggler!

Building an edge is quite similar to doing a bally in front of a side show. (I managed a GIRL TO GORILLA show, years ago, and at the end of the season, the "BR" was heavy with Bennies. "Make 'em stop, make 'em stay, make 'em pay" --only with a carnie bally, it's: "Grab 'em, nail 'em, and turn 'em. Whatever the argot, I remember Heba Haba Al's similar-and briefer-GTFM!

I preferred working schools (school assemblies is a lot like "busking indoors"! --Only real difference is that you don't have to 'hat'!, and the audience is seated! LOL

Over the years, a lot of amateurs and part time pro's have asked me about doing schools. Many of them were like those you describe. The few that weren't like 'them', listened to what I said, and have gone on to be successful full timers.

A lot of young guys (and a few older ones) dream of running away and joining the circus! When they join on, they find more elephant crap and and sweat, than glory and gold!

Hope to run into you on the road somewhere. You 'come on' like a real pro!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
This makes me glad I'm just a summer weekend warrior going for the fun and few bucks. I never thought I could make a living at this and I'm not trying to.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Nick W
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of Nick W
Your smart Ed! people ask me who my favorite street performer is and I say "anyone who goes out and tries". doesn't matter how experienced or not, this gig is so *** hard anyone who gives an effort is a hero in my book. and that's coming from the heart.
G.Gilbert
View Profile
Elite user
baltimore
495 Posts

Profile of G.Gilbert
I am a performer. Not a street performer, yeah, the street is my main venue.. But everyone should aspire to be more.. I hope to "make it" one day, even though I'm already living my dream of performing full-time ... Nobody should aspire to be a BUSKER
silvercup
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of silvercup
No one should even start to think about telling someone else what they should or shouldn't aspire to do.
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Quote:
On 2013-04-27 10:58, silvercup wrote:
No one should even start to think about telling someone else what they should or shouldn't aspire to do.

Silvercup, what these guys are doing is letting kids know the truth. So many kids see one of us and think it is an "easy way to make money." WRONG! Igor. It is a lot of hard bust your butt work. Some, like Kozmo & Bobby Maverick, make it look easy. It ain't. Nobody is telling anyone what to aspire to, just letting them know that looks and reality are worlds apart.
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Do you really want to busk? (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL