The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Do you really want to busk? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

Profile of jimmy talksalot
As usual nick is right.

if your new to the busking world and don't know who he is.

nick has traveled the world.

his show is the best.

he is gifted.

I wrote an article about him if you want to know more about him.

http://sidewalkperformerswhoswho.blogspo......q=nickey
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Someday you may learn how to treat people that know what they are talking about. Until then, please shut up
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
Gary T.
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of Gary T.
Do I really want to busk? *** STRAIGHT!

do I really want to abandon all other possible incomes and try to live off what I can make busking? probably not, I've not nearly got the skill

I've only really been out a few times, no city within daily driving distance with enough foot traffic to make it worth it. I set up at festivals and the like, it's fun, I love to perform, if I can stay in one place for 8 hours and have a constant supply of new crowds coming to me and walking away with smiles on their faces, then I can assure you I'm gonna have fun, add in the few extra bux in my pocket and well, I'm not sure I could find a better way to spend my time.
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1199 Posts

Profile of imgic
I've always thought that a person should do what they love. That's why I don't perform full time. I like magic, it's a fun hobby for me...but it's too much "work" for me if I were to do it full time. I actually do love my full time corporate job...I'm excited to get up every morning to go to work.

If you love it...then you go through the sh!t it takes to get to where you want to go...or better, it doesn't feel like sh!t...just part of the journey. Every job has it's ups and downs...

I too admire anyone willing to go out and try. But really admire those who push past the pain and get to the point they can busk full time. Those are the ones who love what they're doing.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
frankvomit
View Profile
Elite user
485 Posts

Profile of frankvomit
I found this a very interesting thread to read. as someone who has busked and toured (more playing music) the world can be really cruel to entertainers that's just reality I'm in a band that just now are able to get 200 people to come to our shows, you know how long that took? 5 years. performing on the streets if you're lucky to find a spot that's has good traffic and nobody has beaten you to it you can do pretty good but you're always going to have good days and bad days. and then there's also having to deal other kinds of street people that are either scaring your traffic away or worse than that hitting up people before they get to you. I had one guy try to steal my guitar before. so be ready for times when you might have to get physical. that said would I still play the streets now? I don't think I'd choose to. right now I'd go out for fun because I know I don't have to stay there. If I had to I know I could go out there and survive. I've seen so many crazy things in my life that there's not a lot that could surprise me. my advise to people that want to try it and are going to any way just be ready to climb out if you fall into a whole I've seen some pretty strong people get kicked down and stay down if you can understand that have a stable head on your shoulders then go for it.
The Great Zoobini
View Profile
Elite user
Boulder, Colorado
443 Posts

Profile of The Great Zoobini
I've seen countless people try it once....and only once. That evidently was enough.
Meet you in Busker Alley Smile
Nick W
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of Nick W
To be perfectly honest, I aspired to be a busker. as the poetic lifestyle lured me in. I loved all of the aspects of travel and new places and food and people and gaining experience. theres absolutely nothing about busking to be ashamed about. its a funny coin to flip because if you rock shows people will love you (ego comes in), but if you don't rock shows (as you will do when starting out) you will eat dirt for a few years (err, more than that). and the more dirt you eat the more you will appriciate fresh air. I still eat dirt and I love it. as it shows me what not to do. I love busking and always will. I just don't use the word "busking" to describe what I do. It's too one dimensional.

and by the way, if you do eat dirt, you might as well lick the ground while your down there and make a gag out of it. then hat em. that way you can say you got paid for licking the ground.

ps: I'm not joking
Nick W
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of Nick W
On second thought don't lick the ground....
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1199 Posts

Profile of imgic
Nick. Thanks for clarifying not to lick the dirt. Leet me ask you...you aspired to be a busker. You've found it not as romantic as you had imagined. But in the end, you say you love it...so you're happy doing it. In retrospect, would you changeanything? Would you not aspire to busk? A different line of work? Or a different route to busking?
tomterm8
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Profile of tomterm8
I've tried to respond to this thread a couple of times, but it turns out that every time I do it sounds melodramatic.

But, when you busk you do so on the street. You clearly make money and all the local drug dealers, addicts, and hopeless see you doing it and know that it is all in cash. And those people are on the streets and some of them are predators.

Busking is dangerous. Not always, but sometimes.
Nick W
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of Nick W
"Let me ask you...you aspired to be a busker. You've found it not as romantic as you had imagined. But in the end, you say you love it...so you're happy doing it. In retrospect, would you changeanything? Would you not aspire to busk? A different line of work? Or a different route to busking?"

I don't take my decisions to entertain in the streets back at all. It has been one of the best decisions in my life. A street performer at heart, essentially is an oppertunist. so I have more ways than one to improve and I'm always looking for moments to improve. I just wanted to say how I felt in that moment at the time of writing. Usually when I have an urge to make a post I wait a few days. after that I usually don't want to make that post. but about this thread I felt compelled to write so I did.

busking dangerous? sure it can be, but the real threats arent the people on the streets. its the people who believe they are in position of authority. cops and the like. in fact, street people usually are quite real. souls on a rough moment in their journey. I'm a firm beleiver that street work is a great way to accumilate merit. people need more moments of joy in their lives. Gallager wrote about that in another recent post so go read it. for me the real magic is not the show, rather its the effect the show has on those who watch it.
silvercup
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of silvercup
Quote:
for me the real magic is not the show, rather its the effect the show has on those who watch it.

:applause:
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1199 Posts

Profile of imgic
Nick. I find your posts inspirational and applaud your fortitude. Please keep sharing your thoughts and adventures. You have a greater impact on a lot of us out here than you realize.
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Quote:
On 2013-05-01 14:33, tomterm8 wrote:
I've tried to respond to this thread a couple of times, but it turns out that every time I do it sounds melodramatic.

But, when you busk you do so on the street. You clearly make money and all the local drug dealers, addicts, and hopeless see you doing it and know that it is all in cash. And those people are on the streets and some of them are predators.

Well in 15 years that has never happened to me. ON E you don't busk where there is no money and if the druggies and homeless are around, there is NO MONEY. There is a guy on performs.net who claims he was assulted but that's a very rare occurance.
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2013-05-01 14:33, tomterm8 wrote:

Crime happens everywhere. That is why it is important to be aware of your surroundings. Kosmo also received a warning by learning the hard way. If you feel uncomfortable you might want to bring a friend or relative with you until your confidence builds up. Always put the money you made in your front pants pocket. If there is a store nearby, go inside to a hidden area. Take the money out of your pants (leave only 10 singles) and put it in a different hidden spot somewhere on your body. If someone tries to rob you, just reach in your front pants pocket and hand them the 10 singles.
Rolf Reiner
View Profile
Loyal user
Mallorca - Spain
228 Posts

Profile of Rolf Reiner
My brother is in that video too. The way he handles these issues is by performing a duo act. It´s a lot easier when you are not alone.
Same goes for stage shows.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2013-04-27 10:58, silvercup wrote:
No one should even start to think about telling someone else what they should or shouldn't aspire to do.

Someone who has the calling would never listen as they follow their own path in life. Someone that would listen....was never going to do it in the first place.
Nick W
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of Nick W
I wouldnt start trouble with anyone. and criminals should certainly beware if they are doing crime in places where they allow concealed carry. I'm just sayn'...
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1199 Posts

Profile of imgic
Quote:
On 2013-05-03 07:22, Paddy wrote:
ON E you don't busk where there is no money and if the druggies and homeless are around, there is NO MONEY.

In my travels, where there's money and lively street life, there are homeless, druggies and the sort. Pearl St on Boulder, State St in Madison, The Beale in Memphis, broadway in Nashville, River St in Savannah...all good busking all with challenges of panhandlers and others.
silvercup
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of silvercup
Quote:
On 2013-05-10 22:12, Zombie Magic wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-04-27 10:58, silvercup wrote:
No one should even start to think about telling someone else what they should or shouldn't aspire to do.

Someone who has the calling would never listen as they follow their own path in life. Someone that would listen....was never going to do it in the first place.

You are correct. No one has ever been influenced by another's words.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Do you really want to busk? (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.28 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL