The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Do you really want to busk? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8361 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Well, I don't think that I can quite accept that broad statement, Silvercup!

A person named Adolf Hitler once had a propaganda minister named Goebbels.

May I suggest you check the history books.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Watch it Dick, this "silvercup" who is ashamed to use his name seems like an immature nut case.
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1209 Posts

Profile of imgic
Possible to stay on topic folks?
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8361 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
When someone (in this case--Silvercup--)makes a totally ridiculous statement such as: "...No one has ever been influenced by another's words.", I feel obligated to point out the fallacy.I could have given more examples to refute that statement, but contented myself with just one.

Based on Silvercup's statements in another forum, I am strongly inclined to believe that Paddy is correct.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
silvercup
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of silvercup
Quote:
On 2013-05-12 07:10, Dick Oslund wrote:
When someone (in this case--Silvercup--)makes a totally ridiculous statement such as: "...No one has ever been influenced by another's words.", I feel obligated to point out the fallacy.I could have given more examples to refute that statement, but contented myself with just one.

Based on Silvercup's statements in another forum, I am strongly inclined to believe that Paddy is correct.

Orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr,
You could assume that I am not so weak of mind to believe what I wrote and in fact did not make a ridiculous statement but rather, wait for it, used sarcasm to illustrate how weak the position of the statement quoted above it was.
You guys have to be faster on the draw than this I have to believe to be working out and about the general public. The only possible explanation would be a predetermined dislike of me and we all know here at Café that wouldn't be a possibility.

Hey Paddy, why are you so sure my name isn't Silvercup? Because you never heard of anyone named Silvercup and that means it can't happen? One more thing, is it possible for you to reference any post I make without attempting to insult me?
tboehnlein
View Profile
Inner circle
ohio
1783 Posts

Profile of tboehnlein
Like I said before "troll"
silvercup
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of silvercup
Quote:
On 2013-05-13 12:01, tboehnlein wrote:
Like I said before "troll"

Yet another attempt at insult? How do you define troll again?
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
To answer your last question first NO! Sarcasm is indicated by expressions and tone of voice. Obviously, everything on a forum is WRITTEN, ergo no one can be sarcastic on a forum. Ergo you were not being sarcastic, you may have tried to be but you FAILED. Failure is unacceptable in communication. You fit the definition of a troll to a tee. i.e. one who posts things just to see them and doesn't care if they fit into the conversation being butted into or not. Also one who writes things just to aggravate. That's YOU. Plus being a coward that hides behind a pseudoname.

tboehnlein
View Profile
Inner circle
ohio
1783 Posts

Profile of tboehnlein
"troll (pron.: /ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is someone who posts inflammatory,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as a forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion"
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1209 Posts

Profile of imgic
And another good thread swirling down the toilet...
silvercup
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of silvercup
Quote:
On 2013-05-13 13:55, tboehnlein wrote:
"troll (pron.: /ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is someone who posts inflammatory,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as a forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion"

Take a look back and you will see my initial post responded to a post:
Quote:
On 2013-04-27 10:58, silvercup wrote:
No one should even start to think about telling someone else what they should or shouldn't aspire to do.

Then Paddy decided to respond with a Kozmo & Bobby Maverick commercial as he is known to do and then here we are. I'm trolling how again?

If you don't like what I post that's cool. Got a different take? Post it.
Tossing insults of various kinds does nothing.
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Interesting I have been on this board since 2002, Tom, (tboehnlein) since 2004 and we are called wrong by a child who has spent the vast amount to time (note this is sarcasm) since Jan 22 of THIS YEAR. A whole 3+ months! {sarcasm ended}

silvercup
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of silvercup
Quote:
On 2013-05-13 17:43, Paddy wrote:
Interesting I have been on this board since 2002, Tom, (tboehnlein) since 2004 and we are called wrong by a child who has spent the vast amount to time (note this is sarcasm) since Jan 22 of THIS YEAR. A whole 3+ months! {sarcasm ended}

Paddy are you O.K.?
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1209 Posts

Profile of imgic
This thread started as heartfelt expression of a talented performer and has denegrated into grade school name calling. Y'all should be ashamed of yourselves.
Eric Evans
View Profile
Special user
Rio Grande
662 Posts

Profile of Eric Evans
I would like to simply reiterate what Nick W. posted at the top of this thread. All except for the hanging part, that's a bit much. The last sentence or two is right on.

Thanks, and back to the discussion at hand.
silvercup
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of silvercup
Agree with what Nick posted because I have found it to be true.
Even being in agreement with him, still stand by my statement,
"No one should even start to think about telling someone else what they should or shouldn't aspire to do."
One would think that the idea of freedom expressed by that statement wouldn't be so inflammatory to buskers.
While busking isn't a bed of roses, what in life is?

I have much less money than others but also much less stress. The clock doesn't rule my existence. D.S.T. comes and goes and all it means is the game comes on an hour later or earlier. The birds still wake me up about the same time and I hit the hay when I'm out of gas. Would most choose this life, no.
Rush hour traffic? Not my concern. I don't even drive. Like Nick does/did I ride a bike. O.K. it's a shorty but I'm afraid of heights. Would most choose this life, no.
I choose to live outside because I like it, so making the rent/bills pressure is not there. Staying dry when it rains pressure is there, but I choose a climate where a little rain won't kill me. If the city wouldn't get it's panties in a wad about a tee pee I'd get some land and erect one. Would most choose this life, no.
I could go on and on, the point is people choose different things for different reasons. Doesn't make anyone right or wrong Paddy, it makes them people.

Not telling anyone that busking is the high life, nor do I encourage anyone to do as I do, then again wouldn't tell someone not to. Busking is perfect for some and the worst possible for others, like any other way of life.
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1170 Posts

Profile of thomasR
I've never actually busked in the traditional definition but I've worked in the entertainment industry professionally for almost 10 years as a producer, lighting designer, concert promoter,
And yes, magician! Just last weekend I did street magic for a large festival... But I was paid by the festival so it's not really busking.

I think Nick's original post is crazy negative. Is there some truth? Absolutely! But performing on the streets is an amazing opportunity to learn what works and what doesn't.
I love the fact that I walked out on the street with cards, coins, and ropes in my pocket and could entertain about 50 people every 10 minutes. I wasn't using any hat lines, cause I was being paid to be there, and people were just giving me money at the end anyways. I mean... That's pretty cool in my book.
I'm sure if I relied solely on busking I may have a different view, but as a side gig... It's pretty fun and invaluable learning opportunity.
bluemagic
View Profile
Loyal user
271 Posts

Profile of bluemagic
How dose busked improve your magic?I like the idea pack small and play big,where you can play any where.So it better to get pay, than asking people for money.For some it better to get pay because you need to break that wall between the people and you,that ahard thing to learn.Thats just my point of view.but I could be wrong.Im just throwing this thoughts out.
Yehoshua
View Profile
Regular user
Turnersville, NJ
159 Posts

Profile of Yehoshua
To busk, or not to busk? That is indeed the question!

It depends heavily on your M.O., as already stated above! If you're out to get rich quick, you'll have better monetary gains flippin' burgers, to start! BUT, if indeed you seek to better your skills, to improve your show and wit, and make a few dollars, then this might be for you!

In regards to the above post, I believe a solid guaranteed paycheck is better than busking for cash. That doesn't mean you can't make more busking, it's just meant to imply that if I have bills to pay, and I KNOW $300 is coming my way, that's more relief to me than HOPING I make enough today busking.

Busking is absolutely incredibly tough! That's why it's so effective in toughening you up! If it were easy, you'd have no reason to grow! I DO think every performer should attempt busking a few times for that reason alone!

As for the financial aspect...I once went busking and left only enough cash in my wallet to get one way...into the city to busk. My friend thought this would motivate me to make more and work harder so I could pay my way home. I didn't WANT the cash then, I NEEDED it. Sadly, I made two dollars that day...That was my first time busking, and man oh man was it humbling. Good thing I was able to gather together some change to get home! Busking involves SO much MORE than the magic you do! It's about character, it's about location, it's about keeping on the move, constantly looking for better and better spots! It's about how you're dressed, the way you speak, the things you say, the way you present your props, the tricks you do. The weather, the sports schedule, time of day...SO MANY FACTORS! To think one can just "make money" is delusional. BUT, one can make an honest living, if one understands that there is more to it than just showing up and making cash! I think that is one of the points the OP was touching on. Also, I think OP was having a bad day. Here OP, have a cookie, smile! Smile
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
Yehoshua wrote, directly above, "Busking involves SO much MORE than the magic you do! It's about character, it's about location, it's about keeping on the move, constantly looking for better and better spots! It's about how you're dressed, the way you speak, the things you say, the way you present your props, the tricks you do. The weather, the sports schedule, time of day...SO MANY FACTORS!"
I've been busking part-time for so long, I've become adjusted to the number of variables that go towards busking. My main consideration is the weather at present in NZ winter time. Weather forecasts are usually pessimistic. Yesterday was a good day for weather. Not so good because of the lack of people out and about. Ah, well, I enjoyed myself and still love busking.
The presentation makes the magic.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Do you really want to busk? (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.74 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL