The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Average coins vs. gimmicked (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24111 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Who would wow the audience the most, a coin expert using average coins for twenty minutes, or a coin expert using gimmick coins for twenty minutes?
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
That is an interesting question.

I would have to say an "expert" with gimmicked coins. Gimmicked coins in the hands of an expert allow for cleaner, more magical effects. This is speaking as a knowledgeable magician.

On the other hand, unless they were being compared side by side, I doubt an audience would know they received a "less magical" performance from an "expert."

I know I just wowed a group of individuals using only coins, perhaps a few extra (wink wink) and presentational skills. It was only 12 minutes though.

Kirk
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5418 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
I'm a street worker....i would say gimmicked...BUT....

as a street worker.....its in my opinion better to use ungimmicked....say a shell....drop it and its a problem...they dent.....not good....and I drop coins from time to time...when I get tired....or its hot and my hands are sweaty....get the idea...

koz
GaryW
View Profile
Veteran user
HSMagic
317 Posts

Profile of GaryW
The audience shouldn't know the difference. They should be equally wow'd by either. It's all in the performance! Smile

Smile
Gary Ailes
Hot Shot Magic
www.hotshotmagic.com
Full Effect
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
257 Posts

Profile of Full Effect
Im with Gary W

Lay people wont know the difference... No matter what you use shell, C/S, ungimmicked coins, extra coin, etc...
It will all look the same to them no matter what..
The method shouldnt matter to the spectators
"Running water never becomes stale, so keep flowing" - Immortal Dragon Bruce Lee
leefoley3
View Profile
Elite user
Texas
402 Posts

Profile of leefoley3
Another agreement with GaryW.

I like the option to have the coins examined in the beginning of a routine, especially if I'm using coins that people aren't familiar with: English pennys, chinese coins, different halves (except Kennedys, virtually everyone has seen one). I usually use halves, but I do use silver dollars also. I'm amazed how many people either have not seen one or have not seen a newer one. Smile
In December of '06 I was diagnosed with a very rare cancer, Dermatofibrosarcoma Protuberans. One in a million people worldwide are diagnosed with this type of cancer annually. Sarcomas account for 1% of all cancers. Knowledge is power!
whitelephant
View Profile
New user
Jerusalem
97 Posts

Profile of whitelephant
I'm a little ashamed to admit that my coin handling skills are a little slow in my devolpment-but besides for inability to do a smooth flourish, the people who watch me never know the difference. Subsequently my Scoth and Soda always float into my half dollar effects as my skills improve
drink water...
Mediocre the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
Rich Hurley
1060 Posts

Profile of Mediocre the Great
I get great reactions with my non gimmicked coin effects... I agree with Koz... when I perform in "street conditions" such as walk around and impromptu standing situations, I prefer not to mess with a shell or other gaff. For some reason I only seem to drop my shell coins when I'm performing over a concrete floor.

On the other hand, in my sit down close up act I do use a shell and get more magical and stunning visual effects. I also have the time to build up to increasingly more amazing moments. Over time, I've come to learn to properly handle my gaffed coins without damage... and I'm a lot better about not dropping them or accidently lodging the wrong coin inside another... (knock on wood)

In other words, there's a time and a place for everything... use the right tool for the right job, just like any other craftsman. A good coin worker is skilled at using both.
Mediocrity is greatly under rated!
--------------------------------------------

Rich Hurley aka Mediocre The Great!
www.RichHurleyMagic.com
Reed McClintock
View Profile
V.I.P.
772 Posts

Profile of Reed McClintock
I find this to be a very interesting question. I would have to say either if performing for a group of magicians. I would say neither if performing in the real world. I know a little bit about coin magic, and I know a little about entertainment. When I knew nothing about entertainment I would do twenty minutes of coin magic and think to myself why are they yawning these are awesome tricks. Then I varied up the material a little bit and then they weren’t yawning they were watching. I added some jokes and some personality with tricks that were different in texture they started to clap. When I started to relate to them they started telling people about me. Now I have a ton of work.
So at the end of the day and expert knows better, and a person that does not do such great coin magic should practice the same coin trick longer than twenty minutes at home before he can blow somebody away with a coin trick that looks like Real Coin Magic.
These are just some passing thoughts, for what its worth.
Cheers
Reed
Smile
"Stuff is anything, but magic is everything"

Reed McClintock 2003

Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5418 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Reed, you are a pro.....you do magic for a living....like me....and we both understand that the magic is more important to us than it is the audience...they don't want to be fooled....they want to be entertained.....make them laugh....

koz
Conus
View Profile
Special user
653 Posts

Profile of Conus
Twenty minutes concentrated on a single type of material (e.g., coins or cards) is too long for an audience ... unless you are doc eason.
Mediocre the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
Rich Hurley
1060 Posts

Profile of Mediocre the Great
Great points from Reed… I don't do 20 minutes of pure coins myself... only a mega star with coins could pull that off... even though coins are my personal favorite I find audiences like variety.

And the question about "gaff coins or regular" is moot in light of the importance of presentation, personality and the psychology of deception. Any trick no matter how simple can be a miracle with practice and clever presentation.
Mediocrity is greatly under rated!
--------------------------------------------

Rich Hurley aka Mediocre The Great!
www.RichHurleyMagic.com
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
Funny, I have seen entire acts built around JUST card tricks(if you can believe it) that are very entertaining and achieve a standing ovation. (That is a hint.)

So I am going to have to disagree that it is not possible to fully entertain people with coin tricks. As all the pros know, it is the performance, not the props that make it entertaining.

I will agree that most can't do this, but I feel that is because they haven't grasped the main concept behind coin magic. It is all coins across! Most routines, are just moving coins from here to there, you hands,their hands, under cards through tables. Watch the next guy you see perform and see if I am right.

A twenty minute show is only 4 five minute tricks/routines, or 5 four minutes or 6 three minute tricks etc.

One other point, most guys doing the tough stuff, look like it. Too much struggling to get through the trick. It should look relaxed and effortless.

Here's your assignment, first what tricks will you do, how long will they last, and then what order will they be?

I am going to do the same assignment myself.

Kirk Grodske
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Average coins vs. gimmicked (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL