The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Kill the poor to balance budget (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16031 Posts

Profile of tommy
The majority of long term homeless people are found in the large cities of Sydney, Melbourne, Perth and Brisbane. It is estimated that on any given night approximately 105,000 people will be homeless. It wouldn't take long to cull them to start with. Feed them to the alligators perhaps.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Do they have alligators in Australia, or just crocodiles?
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Bob,

Only crocodiles - the saltwater are, with the Nile River crocs, the most dangerous in the world, and our freshwater crocs - amongst the harmless.

I performed with crocs for a decade and was surprised when we obtained some gators how placid and harmless they were by comparison.

Rockwall,

It is a very different thing to agree to contribute to social programs to help the needy - at a distance - than to actually deal with social problems close at hand on an every day basis. I don't know if the expression is used over there but here it is quite common - NIMBY (Not In My Back Yard). There is also probably some suspicion surrounding homeless people in that unemployment benefit, paid by the government, is available to all unemployed people here, for the duration of their unemployment - and the only way to lose it would be to not participate in the programs designed to help people back into the workforce. Australia also has low unemployment.

Tommy,

It will soon be winter here and the crocs which have a low metabolism and don't eat much at the best of times, will be eating very little at all. We will need to find another solution as Aussie predators are not big eaters, with the exception of Ms Rinehart.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Thanks Destiny. I was pretty sure there were no indigenous alligators there so I wasn't too worried about them eating the poor folk. But if the crocs won't do it either, what about big snakes or sharks? You've got plenty of them, right?

:eek:

And, yes, NIMBY is a common acronym and attitude here as well.
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
We have 5 of the 10 most poisonous snakes in the world including the top 2 but while there is an occasional snake bite fatality, our snakes don't eat people. Our Amethystine Python can grow to 8.5 metres (about 9 yards) but it's not a very bulky snake and doesn't eat people. Sharks kill a couple of people a year and dingos about 1 every 30 years. We have a bird, the cassowary, which attacks and kills people but the last fatality was about 90 years ago, so not much hope there.

The best option might be for the government to stop funding healthy lifestyle promotion so that we increase the death rate from diabetes and lung cancer.

Gina Rinehart's dad did his best with his promotion of asbestos. He had an asbestos mine and NIL safety precautions for the workers. He apparently used to spread what he claimed was asbestos on his breakfast cereal and eat it to allay any fears Australians had about the product.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16031 Posts

Profile of tommy
We live and learn! Well except if we are poor for then we teach and die.
Never smile at a crocodile.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
I have never yet known a crocodile that took exception to a friendly smile, but nor does it win their affection.

They are indifferent to human facial expression.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4922 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
Well except if we are poor for then we teach and die.

More like, if you teach, then you'll be poor and die Smile
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16031 Posts

Profile of tommy
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20052606

Hmmm

Maybe the poor should hold a crocodile for a minute.

They have but need of courage.

Tommy
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4922 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2013-04-24 10:10, Destiny wrote:
I have never yet known a crocodile that took exception to a friendly smile, but nor does it win their affection.

Okay, I'll bite since the crocs didn't--what the heck were you doing with crocodiles for a decade?
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2732 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2013-04-24 10:10, Destiny wrote:

This is not the original, but it IS hilarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QplULRL_omY
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Kune
View Profile
Veteran user
308 Posts

Profile of Kune
Quote:
On 2013-04-22 21:48, Vlad_77 wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-04-22 18:06, Stevie Tricker wrote:
Vaguely reminiscent of political contributions from Vlad the Impaler.

Even though they are liberal party. WOW that's truly some free thinking, unfortunately a very poor example of it.

Hi Steve,

Respectfully submitted, but, I think you need to read up on Prince Vlad III Basarab. He was NOT in favor of killing the poor. In fact, Prince Vlad killed the boyars (nobles) who were stealing FROM the poor and who were a threat to his rule. Yes his methods were cruel, but, many of his contemporaries and some rulers even a century or two later were far far worse - does Russia's Ivan the Terrible ring a bell?

Prince Vlad III is considered by many Romanians as a hero.

A better analogy would have been Jonathan Swift's satirical piece titled "A Modest Proposal." Bear in mind that this was a satirical piece aimed at the excesses of royalty. Swift proposed that infants should be sold as food. Give it a read sometime.

Back to Vlad III for a moment: compared to many of his contemporaries, he was actually a very forward thinking monarch in many ways. Under his two reigns, the peasants actually flourished. At the time, Islam was sweeping into Europe. The Byzantine Empire fell to the Ottoman Turks in 1453. What is now known as Romania was one of the strongholds against the onslaught - and it was violent - of Islam into Christian Europe.

Namaste,

The "other" Vlad Smile

Vlad the Impaler was in favor of killing everyone - often as painfully as possible.

"Having come to view destitution as a scourge on his domain, Tepes invited his poverty-stricken subjects to dine with him. At the end of the dinner, he had the dining room locked, and his guards set fire to it, killing those inside"
http://history.howstuffworks.com/history......ula1.htm

"Even during his lifetime, Vlad III Țepeș became famous as a tyrant taking sadistic pleasure in torturing and killing.[23] He is shown in crypto-portraits made during his lifetime in the role of cruel rulers or executioners. After Vlad's death, his cruel deeds were reported with macabre gusto in popular pamphlets in Germany, reprinted from the 1480s until the 1560s, and to a lesser extent in Tsarist Russia.
Vlad the Impaler as Aegeas, the Roman proconsul in Patras, crucifying Saint Andrew. Approximately 1470–1480, Belvedere Galleries, Vienna.[citation needed]

Estimates of the number of his victims range from 40,000 to 100,000, comparable to the cumulative number of executions over four centuries of European witchhunts.[24] According to the German stories the number of victims he had killed was at least 80,000. In addition to the 80,000 victims mentioned he also had whole villages and fortresses destroyed and burned to the ground.[25]"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vlad_the_Im......_cruelty

He also killed the nobles, entirely for personal reasons. To my knowledge, he never had anything against power or wealth, so long as it didn't disadvantage him.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3381 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
I'm not sure that wikipedia.org and howstuffworks.com are very dependable sources. Especially when they are quoting Russian and German anti-Romanian propaganda, and are asking for citations even for what is there.
scottds80
View Profile
Special user
Victoria, Australia
730 Posts

Profile of scottds80
Crocs are only found up way north, and to transport hundreds of thousands of people across the nation against their will would be a challenge.
"Great Scott the Magician", Gippsland
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
There is an option I'd forgotten as a Northern Australian.

The Tasmanian carnivorous penguin eats enormous amounts of meat.

I often see fundraisers in shopping centres raising funds to buy enough meat to keep them from extinction. One of them is always dressed up as a penguin. In the early years of white settlement, people tried to kill out the penguins, horrified that they ate the bodies of shipwrecked sailors. Now we're trying to save them.

Tasmania is close to the big population centres of Australia so we could both dispose of the poor and save the penguin.

(I was about to say 'killing two birds with one stone' but that would be confusing and contradictory.)

Landmark, I worked from the late 80's till the late 90's in a wildlife park performing with native animals.
Stevie Tricker
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of Stevie Tricker
Thanks for the input Kune,

Past experience has taught me that history tends to be written from a skewed view in favour of the whims of whoever was in power after the event that was worth writing about.

If I get the time to look into it I'll view all available information and see what resonates.

On a lighter note a sketch from "That Mitchell and Webb Look" a British comedy from 7 years ago.
A politician and his aids discussing running the "kill all the poor" scenario through the computer to see how the figures work out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owI7DOeO_yg

For non EU audiences Lidl is a budget supermarket here in the UK and I gather around certain parts of Europe also?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Kill the poor to balance budget (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.3 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL