We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Frank Gorshin on how James Cagney became . . . well . . . James Cagney (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Yes. The big hump and fin on the creature's back was covering a scuba tank.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2732 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2013-04-23 21:56, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-04-23 04:54, ed rhodes wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-04-22 21:22, mastermindreader wrote:
Sometimes people forget that Cagney was also a fine song and dance man. Watch his portrayal of George M. Cohan in "Yankee Doodle Dandy. Simply fantastic.

He also re-did it in "The Seven Little Foys" with Bob Hope.

Another excellent, but mostly forgotten film. A shame because Eddie Foy was a top vaudevillian who deserves to be remembered. His son, Eddie Foy Jr. (who started as one of the "Seven Little Foys") became a famous character actor.

And, particularly interesting since you mentioned that Cagney reprised his role in "The Seven Little Foys," Eddie Foy Jr. portrayed his father, Eddie Foy, in "Yankee Doodle Dandy."

There was a series of Peanut specials that dealt with various historical elements. Most of them, frankly, bored me. But one had Linus giving a speech about popular music in America. When he got to George M. Cohen, Snoopy came out and danced to "I'm A Yankee Doodle Dandy." I swear they used Cagney's choreography to trace over for the animation! It was actually impressive.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3987 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On 2013-04-24 05:30, Woland wrote:
Hi Bob1Dog, I think you're thinking of "The Creature from the Black Lagoon," one of the best Revell models that I built (I had Frankenstein's monster, Dracula, the Creature, and the Mummy, I think.)

I bought all the re-releases a few years ago. You can still get them all - even glo-in-the-dark versions, and they are coming out with new ones! I recently got an all-glo "Forgotten Prisoner..." model.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Thanks, Chessmann, they look great!
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
Hi Bob1Dog, I think you're thinking of "The Creature from the Black Lagoon," one of the best Revell models that I built (I had Frankenstein's monster, Dracula, the Creature, and the Mummy, I think.)

Yup, Woland, I sure am.... thanks for the memory! Smile
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Quote:
One of his best performances, in my opinion.

Returning to our moutons, as it were, unless I am mistaken, Mr. Cagney was always very proud of his terpsichorean abilities and his talent as a singer.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3374 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Quote:
On 2013-04-23 21:56, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-04-23 04:54, ed rhodes wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-04-22 21:22, mastermindreader wrote:
Sometimes people forget that Cagney was also a fine song and dance man. Watch his portrayal of George M. Cohan in "Yankee Doodle Dandy. Simply fantastic.

He also re-did it in "The Seven Little Foys" with Bob Hope.

Another excellent, but mostly forgotten film. A shame because Eddie Foy was a top vaudevillian who deserves to be remembered. His son, Eddie Foy Jr. (who started as one of the "Seven Little Foys") became a famous character actor.

And, particularly interesting since you mentioned that Cagney reprised his role in "The Seven Little Foys," Eddie Foy Jr. portrayed his father, Eddie Foy, in "Yankee Doodle Dandy."

Eddie Foy told a story about sitting in a Café in Tombstone, Arizona with Wyatt Earp and Bat Masterson. He said a shot rang out in the street, and he turned toward the window; when he turned back, the other two men had vanished. He looked down and they were both flat on their backs on the floor under the table, with their guns drawn and held up in front of their faces. When the shot was heard, they kicked their chairs out and hit the floor. They were going to do their looking from there...

He said, "I learned something about gunmen today."
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2732 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2013-04-25 10:03, Chessmann wrote:
Quote:

I bought all the re-releases a few years ago. You can still get them all - even glo-in-the-dark versions, and they are coming out with new ones! I recently got an all-glo "Forgotten Prisoner..." model.

A link, please. Many years ago, I appeared in a play entitled; "An Evening of Terror." The play was four one act productions based on; Dracula, Frankenstein, The Phantom of the Opera and The Hunchback of Notre Dame. While preparing for this play, I found glow in the dark versions of each of these characters at Woolworths. I bought them, assembled them at home, put them in a box and took them to the theater. A bizarre thing that happened was that I was sitting on the subway train with this open box with four glow in the dark figures inside of it, out of sight. If you've been on the NYC Subway, you'll remember that from time to time, they hit spots where the lights go out. This happened and when the lights came back on, EVERYONE in the train was staring at me. It hadn't dawned on my that when the lights went out, I was sitting there with a box that was glowing!

Anyway, we put the models up in the dressing room and everyone oooed and ahhed and we went on to do the production that night. Between scenes in Frankenstein, there was a black out. The director later said; "Thanks for warning me about the models glowing. I almost had a heart attack!"

When the production shut down, each of the "monsters" got their model.
Ain't life unkind?"
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Ed, nice story. I rode the NYC subway trains to Bed Stuy for two years, 1965-67 while attending a NYC community college annex in an old coffin factory on Flushing Avenue. 179th St in Jamaica, Queens, E or F to Queens Plaza then the GG to Brooklyn. I remember those blackouts quite well.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Quote:
When the shot was heard, they kicked their chairs out and hit the floor. They were going to do their looking from there...

He said, "I learned something about gunmen today."

What do you think he learned?
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2732 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
They don't aim as well as they think they do?
Ain't life unkind?"
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Hi Ed,

I would guess that professional gunmen know exactly how well they aim, although they might not want others to know it. At least, living professional gunmen.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Wyatt Earp certainly did something right. When he died of old age, he had never suffered as much as a bullet scratch to his body. The Clantons, and innumerable others, weren't so lucky.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
What amazes me about Wyatt Earp, Bob, is that although he lived in Los Angeles and survived into the era of the great silent films, and in fact I think he worked as an adviser for several films, he was never filmed himself. Of course he was probably too old by then. He spent more of his years as a gold miner, I think, than as a lawman or "gunfighter," and as some of our members here are aficionados of the "sweet science," they may know that he refereed the Fitzsimmons-Sharkey fight, too. He also had a faro concession in Tombstone, but I do not know if he actually played, or if he could do a faro shuffle.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Frank Gorshin on how James Cagney became . . . well . . . James Cagney (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL