The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Good Manipulation Routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

alextsui
View Profile
Regular user
Malaysia
154 Posts

Profile of alextsui
Here is a video of Wen Han Kao which I think has many of the elements of a good manipulation routine:
http://youtu.be/q74vPxJ_tCo

This is what I can learn from his act-

1. He pauses after every magical effect for the audience to register what has happened.

2. He smiles and acknowledges the audience. Makes eye contact with different parts of the audience.

3. He strikes "applause poses" and the audience knows exactly when to applaud (which they do quite regularly). I notice however that he doesn't stop for applause after every magic moment but after every few magical effects.

4. He takes out and puts down his props without any fumbling, searching around. He doesn't even make position adjustments on the table. He knows exactly where everything should go.

5. He makes the minimum movement necessary to achieve his objectives. No wasted or extra moves (economy of motion).

6. When he moves backwards, he doesn't turn his back to the audience.

Feel free to add your thoughts and observations to this. Thanks.
The Best Magic Effects to Take Your Performance to the Next Level
https://FireBirdMagic.com
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11159 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
His Billiard Ball work is very good. Excellent routine over all. I like the recall to perpetuate the theme(s) without bad redundancy. Example: each phase of his ball routine added something special to the mix.

You are correct in your evaluation. He did most everything the right way. The one thing that I saw that I did not like was what seemed to be a cramped repose of the left hand in the beginning. It continued until the silk production and seemed to be too uncomfortable for what that hand was doing up to that point.

Other than that, I like it a lot!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
dahih beik
View Profile
Special user
palestine
817 Posts

Profile of dahih beik
He needs a stronger finale
a better clothing
other than that .... a master performance .
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8361 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Once again:::Michael and I must have had the same mother!!!

I agree 100% with Michael! A delight to watch!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22861 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Excellent, and I agree that his finale is weak, just in the wrong place.
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
Wonderful! This guy has a ton of talent at what appears to be a pretty young age. AND... a lot of original thinking as well.

I agree that the opening and the closing need work. It was pretty clear that he had something palmed in his left hand at the beginning, and an act this good needs a strong finish.

Dennis "Denny" Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Good Manipulation Routine (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL