We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Say what? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8792 Posts

Profile of funsway
Tonight my 92 year old Dad chose not to go to bed at his usual hour, so I clicked though TV channels to find something that caught is attention. I paid little attention to the movie until I notices a repetitive flashing of messages across the screen -- crib notes and bio sketches to tell me what was going on. When did we start having silly footnotes on a movie?

Why should I care that the director was married twice? Why do I have to be informed that a "primer" is the part of a bullet hit by the firing pin?

When did this start? Why is no one concerned over this incredible invasion of my privacy -- the simple joy of watching a movie without being told what I must think?
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
We've been being spoonfed by the national media for decades, so it's not surprising to learn that movie makers have discovered that it works.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I'm guessing you were watching AMC. They typically do that (story notes) for the 7:00 PM CDT showing, and this is usually followed by a repeat showing without all that. It's just a trivia bonus for those who care to learn more of the "behind the scenes" stuff.

DVDs sometime come equipped with versions that include director's commentary as the movie plays. I usually opt out of those versions, but like the "special features" on the menu, will sometimes watch that after seeing the movie in the unblemished format.

Just something extra... take it or leave it... no assault on your intelligence.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
I'm not sure, but I think this was started by VH1 with music videos. They would have an hour of what they called Pop-Up Videos where they would play old music videos with little pop up notes containing trivia about the video, the band, etc. It was very entertaining. I can see why someone would do the same for old movies. Especially if it was an old movie I was familiar with, I would find the extra trivia entertaining.

I think you're just being an old fuddy duddy funsway! Smile
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Pop-Up Video was great. Movies with commentary by Joe Bob Briggs are great, too.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
8792 Posts

Profile of funsway
Actually, I would be happy if they displayed what program you were watching at the moment instead of previews of coming attractions.

I remember when ads were limited to 30 seconds on the hour/half and 15 seconds on the break. Now the 2 minute ad every ten minutes isn't enough -- they need pop ups.

I wouldn't even turn the thing on except for Dad who never watched TV before he became senile. Goes to show.

At least the off button is the big red one on the remote.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
I agree with rockwall. If I've seen the film before, I like to watch it again with the story notes and trivia. Some of it is inane but a good deal is very interesting. I think it would be better, though, if AMC showed the film without the story notes first, followed by the notes version.

The AMC website also has really good trivia quizzes related to most of the movies that they air.

But I also agree with funsway about annoying coming attractions being shown at the bottom of the screen at the same time that the movie is being shown. (I assume that they do this because so many people use TIVO and other devices to skip commercials.) My other peeve is how they speed up the end credits so you can't read them and then go into a split screen so they can start the next film or show at the same time the first one is finishing. (Thereby eliminating a bathroom break just because they want to discourage viewers from changing the channel.)
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5707 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
What?
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On 2013-04-24 06:36, mastermindreader wrote:
I agree with rockwall.

I just wanted to repeat this quote. Smile
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-04-24 11:55, rockwall wrote:
Quote:
I agree with rockwall.

Feel free!!

I'm sure that if we were just discussing show business, performance, magic, mentalism, music, films, beautiful women, and just about anything other than politics, we'd probably be in agreement most of the time- Or at least not in fervent disagreement.

If you agree with any or all of the above, please say so. That way I'll have something to repeat as well. Smile
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2013-04-23 23:41, Michael Baker wrote:
I'm guessing you were watching AMC. They typically do that (story notes) for the 7:00 PM CDT showing, and this is usually followed by a repeat showing without all that. It's just a trivia bonus for those who care to learn more of the "behind the scenes" stuff.

DVDs sometime come equipped with versions that include director's commentary as the movie plays. I usually opt out of those versions, but like the "special features" on the menu, will sometimes watch that after seeing the movie in the unblemished format.

Just something extra... take it or leave it... no assault on your intelligence.

Unfortunately, you cannot turn it off.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

AMC repeatedly shows the same films, most of the time without the notes. And, as has been noted, they almost always show the regular version immediately after the premier of the story notes edition. So while it's technically true that you can't turn it off, you DO have a choice - you can just decide to watch the version you prefer and/or set your DVR accordingly.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2013-04-24 12:48, mastermindreader wrote:
AMC repeatedly shows the same films, most of the time without the notes. And, as has been noted, they almost always show the regular version immediately after the premier of the story notes edition. So while it's technically true that you can't turn it off, you DO have a choice - you can just decide to watch the version you prefer and/or set your DVR accordingly.

Assumes facts not in evidence.
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
I hate it when I see some little person walking across the screen, then stops and waves at me. I give them the finger and switch channels.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2732 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I agree that I hate the animated commercials at the bottom of the screen. Sometimes they mess up what's going on in the show on the bottom of the screen.

http://www.amctv.com/schedule

Here's the stuff about "story notes"

http://www.amctv.com/movie-event/story-notes

"The Devil's Own" is on tonight in story notes form.

http://movies.amctv.com/movie/1997/The+Devil%27s+Own

This is the schedule for the film. You see in fact that it's on other nights without the story notes treatment.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-04-24 14:19, irossall wrote:
I hate it when I see some little person walking across the screen, then stops and waves at me. I give them the finger and switch channels.
Iven Smile

Woah! The other day I saw the same little dude walking across the bottom of the screen. I waved at him to go away and he gave ME the finger!

So I told him to buzz off and went back to my bong.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On 2013-04-24 12:20, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-04-24 11:55, rockwall wrote:
Quote:
I agree with rockwall.

Feel free!!

I'm sure that if we were just discussing show business, performance, magic, mentalism, music, films, beautiful women, and just about anything other than politics, we'd probably be in agreement most of the time- Or at least not in fervent disagreement.

If you agree with any or all of the above, please say so. That way I'll have something to repeat as well. Smile

I agree with Bob! Smile
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Thank you!
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
8792 Posts

Profile of funsway
Thanks for all of the input. I realize my mistake is in not wanting to view a movie many times just to see what I missed the first time. I find the thought that most folks seem to enjoy watching the same movie over and over very unsettling.

The only thing worse is making over a fine old movie just to have a popular star on the list. I dinner guest announced he never watched a BW movie because he knows it is out of touch with anything of value today.

But, the appraisal above is correct -- I am just an old fart who doesn't go to a movie theater any more because the volume is so loud to be painful.

Hey Bob -- ever try using subtitles during a Mentalism Performance -- maybe a cute chick carrying a sign like at a wrestling match?

mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

No, but I have used voice-over commentary and subtitles on performance DVDs for instructional purposes in order to provide analysis to those who are interested in understanding the art form.

Those who are interested in studying the art and craft of film-making OFTEN watch films over and over. The first time for the simple enjoyment, subsequent times to pay attention to the techniques the film maker used to effectively present his work- the use of lighting, editing, score, pacing, etc.

Do you know, for example, that Orson Welles, prior to creating Citizen Kane, reportedly learned everything he knew about the CRAFT of film-making simply by watching John Ford's "Stagecoach" dozens of times?

As a writer, have you ever read certain works repeatedly in order to better understand the techniques of the author? Same thing.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Say what? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.29 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL