We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Kickstarter funding for movies (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2653 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
We saw it with Veronica Mars, and now Zach Braff is on track to succeed with his project (he's brought in $800,000 before lunch time on the west coast.)
http://www.deadline.com/2013/04/zach-bra......as-here/

I'm curious what people think about this new trend. Some say it's great, more power to the artists. Others believe that anyone donating is being taken advantage of since they won't see any of the proceeds, even though they're helping to fund it (apparently there are some legal reasons this wouldn't work, though I haven't thoroughly looked into that.) Any thoughts or opinions? I'm especially interested to hear what folks think since this is my industry.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
trey
View Profile
Loyal user
288 Posts

Profile of trey
Since Zach Braff was making $350,000.00 an episode for Scrubs. I think he can afford to pay for his own movie... Just my two cents..
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5707 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
He should share the profits if any. Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4900 Posts

Profile of landmark
I think it's a great idea. Even nicer if he can share the profits, but people know what they're getting into. Better than having a bunch of suits dictate the content.
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2653 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Quote:
On 2013-04-26 08:32, landmark wrote:
I think it's a great idea. Even nicer if he can share the profits, but people know what they're getting into. Better than having a bunch of suits dictate the content.

That's how I feel about it too.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3198 Posts

Profile of seadog93
I don't know anything about Veronica Mars, but from what I've seen of kickstarter I think it's great!

The contributors get gifts in return for their donation AND they get to watch the movie (or whatever) when it's made. AWESOME.
I've considered donating to comicbookgirl19 because I like the idea of getting more shows with better quality and more fun stuff.
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3198 Posts

Profile of seadog93
EDIT:
I hadn't actually read the article when I posted the above. Now that I have read it,
...I feel the same way.

If the the movie is a smash hit then that means all the investors got to help a great movie happen that otherwise wouldn't; additionally they get tchotchkes and bragging rights!
Who's being taken advantage of?
To be honest, I only read 3/4 I the article because I thought the arguments were silly. I too think it's cool that some low budget movies ended up makin tons of money, but that doesn't mean that a great movie should be denied a great budget for good quality production. (I'm saying this without knowing anything about Veronica Mars, but obviously the investors think it will be a great movie).
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Kickstarter funding for movies (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL