We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Coming soon: Card Shark's "Overkill Deck" by Tim Zager (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Pit Boss
View Profile
Special user
540 Posts

Profile of Pit Boss
Keep on the lookout for this in the near future. It's been in the works for a couple of years, and caused quite a stir at last years "Magic in the Rockies" convention.

I am fortunate to have observed the development of this and I am sure it will be of interest to many of you. It's being produced by Card-Shark in their Phoenix design, so the quality is first rate. If you liked "Get Sharky", you'll love this as it's much more versatile with many different effects possible from the single deck.

I'm not aware of a firm release date, but hopefully it's soon.

JD
Tim Zager
View Profile
Loyal user
Kansas City
222 Posts

Profile of Tim Zager
I invited Christian Schenk to this thread to discuss the timeline for release. Anyone want to know what the deck does?
Make sure your customers never lose your information,
with a Digital Business Card.
Robert Sixx
View Profile
Special user
781 Posts

Profile of Robert Sixx
We would love to know the details!

Robert
Catch me on Twitter @RobertSixx or Facebook -- Robert Sixx
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
8339 Posts

Profile of pegasus
I received this PM from Christian beginning of March. I'm sure he won't mind me sharing it. I've been waiting patiently for this to be released.

The effect is called the "Overkill Deck", and we were selling them in Blackpool as well as in Southshields. Funnywise at both conventions we sold out, even if the instructions are still in progress and will be updated with new routines. In the next few weeks we will further work on the deck, before we officially release it.

If you want it now already, it will cost 70 Euro, and will astound you. I did a dealer demo with Charlie Frye(!!!!!!) at the convention over there in a full theatre, he went into the audience and let them peek cards that I would immediately know. We even could find the spectator's card located at a certain position in a deck on the table. The magicians were speaking about that the whole weekend.

The funny part: I never rehearsed that with Charlie, he could immediately work together with me. Simon Aronson - when he saw the deck at the Sessions in January - said: That is our act in one deck, unbelievable!
Tim Zager
View Profile
Loyal user
Kansas City
222 Posts

Profile of Tim Zager
Some of the main effects possible:

- Riffle thru cards until spectator says stop. When they look at card, performer immediately knows the card they are looking at. Free choice. NO sleights. Different card each time.

- Riffle thru cards until spectator says stop. Someone from across the room can name the card. Great for a two person act. You can teach your "assitant" how to do this in literally 90 seconds. (that's how long it took me to teach my 16 yr old son) NO memorization. The deck does ALL the work.

- Performer writes a name and telephone number on a piece of paper and openly displays. A card is selected (as above). The spectator can use their own phone, call and ask for the person written on the sheet of paper...say anything they want. Person called reveals the card.

- When card is selected (as above) the performer immediately knows the position of the card in a Tamariz and Aronson deck. You can combine the reveal with effects you already do with either deck. Again, the deck does all the work. You do not need to know anything about the Tamariz or Aronson deck.

- If you are familiar with the special features of the Phoenix Deck, you'll find those built into the Overkill Deck also.
lucavolpe
View Profile
Inner circle
Italy - London
3161 Posts

Profile of lucavolpe
I want one!
Mark Southworth
View Profile
Veteran user
u.k
353 Posts

Profile of Mark Southworth
^^^^^^

What he said Smile

Sounds great !
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10629 Posts

Profile of saysold1
I'm 100% in - anything that Christian does is always quality.

I own two Get Sharky's and treasure them Smile

So will Cardshark keep the distribution exclusively - or will this go through the usual channels? I'm guessing exclusive
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10629 Posts

Profile of saysold1
It sounds like a combo between a st****d deck and M****d - just sayin.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Pit Boss
View Profile
Special user
540 Posts

Profile of Pit Boss
Quote:
On 2013-04-27 19:21, saysold1 wrote:
It sounds like a combo between a st****d deck and M****d - just sayin.

Tim forgot to mention that this deck can be overhand shuffled by the spectator.
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3405 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Saw Roger Nicot run this at the Winter Carnival of Magic, in Pigeon Forge this March. The name says it all. Simply devastating to the spectators.
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
trueinventor
View Profile
Loyal user
Lynchburg Va
217 Posts

Profile of trueinventor
Hi Mr. Zager, Smile

As with most things from Card Shark, this looks like it is going to be incredible and, as always, if Brett is in, I'm in!

But sir, could you answer these questions?

Question 1: Will this also be able to be shipped from New York as Science Friction is?

Question 2: This question begins with noting that you listed 4 major effects that are possible, at present, with maybe more to follow. Of the four effects listed and described: the 1st effect is..."kinda nice". The 2nd effect is...REALLYY NICE. Both are very good but maybe not quite “I will NEVER forget that miracle I just saw” effects although #2…maybe so.

Now then for Question #2:
Mr. Zager, are you stating that both the 3rd and 4th effects can be performed with FREELY SECLECTED CARDS??

I ask this because in describing both effects you noted, and I quote: "...the card is selected as (above)" which we take to mean: "Riffled through and freely selected as described in the first effect". Is that true?

IF the answer is: "Yes, the card is also freely selected in both the 3rd and 4th effects I described" then I have to ask a final question.

Question 3: ARE you OR Christian related to Rod Serling?...cause this is Twilight Zone stuff you are describing!!...come to think of it:

ARE you OR Christian IN FACT Rod Serling come back from that "Other Dimension" to bend the boundaries of reality in THIS dimension with some kind of “other-dimensional” technology you simply refer to as "The Overkill Deck"?

What you say can be done just can't be done in the normal non-Twilight Zone world. I truly am a Missouri Farm boy from the "SHOW ME" state so...ya gots ta show me. Smile

If I understand the descriptions of effects #3 and #4 the way I think I do then this is one of those inventions that will become as legendary as…well…”Get Sharkey”!

How soon will a trailer be ready to view do you think?

Can't wait for Christian's latest Masterpiece! I, like Brett and so many others, am thrilled with "Get Sharkey" and if this can do so much more...WOW.

Thanks for any help with the questions you can give Mr. Zager. I will close out this posting with a third and final question: Would you mind asking Christian if I can buy stock in Card Shark? Smile
Tim Zager
View Profile
Loyal user
Kansas City
222 Posts

Profile of Tim Zager
Hi trueinventor

Your questions...

Christian will have to address your shipping question. Not sure how his shipping works. As for selecting a card, any selection no matter what effect is used is always a free choice. ANY of 52 cards could be chosen.

NO, not related to Rod Serling, but I think Christian's wife went to school with Rod's niece's step-daughter. Smile

As for a video...that's another question for Christian.

-Tim
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5318 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
I have two Get Sharky decks also - regular and Vaudeville style. Not to mention the Ultimate Brainwave deck, Phoenix Invisible Deck, several Parlour Decks and Double Decks, Moser's Miracle Monte, etc. I'm drooling waiting for the Overkill deck!

Impatiently waiting.....

Jim
trueinventor
View Profile
Loyal user
Lynchburg Va
217 Posts

Profile of trueinventor
Thankyou Tim,

This just sounds so...incredible. I only started being able to learn about magic in the past year or two but it's become my favorite hobby! Although I've only been learning for a short period of time I think I've learned quite a bit at the Café from the very knowledgeable contributors like Saysold, Zombie, Rasmus, Ustaad, and other great magicians.

As with most "beginners", everything looks SOOO exciting at firts but certain moments especially stand out. Looking over the past year or two, one of the most striking moments of magic I can remember is the trailer where Christian performed "Get Sharkey" (which is actually on my desk as I'm typing Smile). I was stunned and had absolutely no clue as to how such an illusion was possible. Now that I understand it's simple brilliance I am still in awe of it. To think that Over Kill is better than THAT? Whoa Buddy!

I don't know where Christian could go after "The Over Kill" Deck with card magic. Well, it's Christian, maybe that was silly to say. Smile

Thankyou for giving all of us the "heads up" on this one Mr. Zager. I am kind of thinking this is most likely going to get a great Zombie and Saysold review and sales will skyrocket even more.
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
3756 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Bought this about 2 months ago direct from Christian . It does exactly what Tim says and more without any sleights and has 100 % reliability . It's a must have for a hobbyist as is a truly amazing self worker . If you love Get Sharkey you will love this more . Perfectly made and very very versatile Smile
trueinventor
View Profile
Loyal user
Lynchburg Va
217 Posts

Profile of trueinventor
Thank you nanaswan for your "seconding" what Mr. Zager has let us know.

So far it seems the only downside is that I DON'T HAVE ONE! Smile

Fellas, I wanted to share this moment with you: Tonight a very hard working family invited me to have dinner with them; their treat, at a brand new restaurant after church. It really touched my heart because they don't have a lot and...I do, but they didn't know that. ("Casual Bum" is my favorite look Smile )

The young mom: Lindsey, let me know that her beautiful little 5 year old son Aden loves magic. I then did a normal "If I am on target tonight I might be able to guess whatever card you pick" (using a one way f****e deck.

Even that simple illusion seemed amazing to them and when they asked: "HOW did you do that?" I began saying: "I don't know, isn't it incredible? I just seem to have this unexplainable psychic ability where cards are concerned"--as I was slowly fanning out the cards at my side "face up" for them to see---which of course made them laugh.

I then did Invisible Deck and Oz's Renegade Triumph and they were just astounded.

BUT THEN came the most wonderful magic trick of all: Little Aden took one of my normal decks and spread them out face down on the dinner table, picked three of them and laid them still face down in front of me, and then looking at me with his bright smile asked this question: "Which card is which?"

I couldn't help but to burst out laughing and replied: "Why Aden...I, I don't know...I know some of the world's greatest magicians and I'm not sure even THEY would know... I think you have posed the most mind-boggling unsolvable question ever asked in the history of magic---I have absolutely no idea "which card is which"-- I don't know if Dr. Einstein himself could ever solve this impossible riddle! Perhaps This one is This one and That one is That one but I have no idea if I'm right."

As the parents and grandparents realized the enigma the little child had created with his presentation and question they began laughing till they cried and little Aden smiled and laughed with us knowing that he had something to do with everyone being so happy.

These folks are so loving and kind. They sincerely love Jesus, and it shows, and so love people but have so very little and yet, with what little they have, they were reaching out to me because they thought I needed it. They deserved that moment of laughter and happiness and it will stay with them, and with me, for life. That moment stemmed from the world of "magic": a world many of us here at the Café love.

God has blessed us with a unique ability or means to, with usually so little cost to ourselves, bring moments of wonder and joy to people at just a moment's notice by simply reaching into our pockets and letting the magic begin.

One of the great, truly world-renowned, Café magicians recently PM'd me and said (my paraphrase): "Alex, I am so saddened that the money part of magic is growing while the memories we create with our "moments of magic" to uplift others and make them smile seems to be less and less important."

I say these things, in part, because Christian and Card Shark have never come across as "mostly about the money". That makes me want to purchase the Over Kill Deck all the more because I, and I think maybe many here at the Café, love the "memories we create" part of magic most of all.

For me personally, I don't know if I will ever smile quite as broadly, when remembering moments of magic from my life, as I now smile when I consider Aden's child-like but brilliantly unsolvable question: "Which card is which?" Smile, but I do know this: it is almost a certainty that "Over Kill" is going to create thousands of moments that will stay with people for life and will end up being viewed by magicians as a great gift from a great creator of illusions: Christian, to us and then through us to others.

Which is why I will order at least two decks: One for me, and one for little Aden that I will entrust to his mom for safekeeping until the little fella is old enough to understand and use the world of wonder that lies within the box of cards Christian is bringing to us.

I've never praised an illusion like this without first having it but...this time you just know...Smile
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3405 Posts

Profile of takeachance
A five year old, you're giving this to a 5 year old, Geeeezzzzz thanks
trueinventor
View Profile
Loyal user
Lynchburg Va
217 Posts

Profile of trueinventor
Hi takeachance,

Yes, I am, with love and with a grateful heart for the memory Aden has gifted me with and the kindness a poor family showed me. I know the gift will thrill him when he is able to handle it...which from what I've seen in the talent level of some very young magicians, could be in just 2 or 3 years.

It is awesome to help people, if you are able, by paying their bills or buying groceries for them and I know God rewards that, but sometimes a different kind of gift is the perfect gift to give.

I've never given a gift of magic that didn't seem to greatly lift someone's heart. I gave Aden a one-way force deck as I was leaving and a "clicker" and it just tickled he and his mom to death. I've given hugely more expensive things to others back when "I had it like that" and it didn't seem to mean nearly as much as the little deck of cards and the clicker did to Aden and his family.

It will be in his mom's safe keeping until he is ready one day. Lindsey, his mom, lost an arm...I didn't ask how... most likely to cancer but she still just radiates kindness. I know the gift of Christian's new magic will be something she treasures as she "safe keeps it" for her son whom she treasures.

Sometimes another persons' actions (in this case mine I guess) can seem...nonsensical if we see them from a distance or only see them through our own circumstances.

I know you didn't know Lindsey's circumstances or her son's and probably have a very kind heart too.

Because I'm close to the situation I know that the gift will be going to where it should be going and, I hope, will be given at just the right time.

Tonight, in taking me out to dinner, Lindsey and Aden and their Mom and Dad gave me the best they could give. Aden so loves magic and I wanted to return the kindness that had been shown to me.

Because of my present circumstances, I think God knew that this family's love shown toward me and their taking me out to dinner was just the perfect thing to lift my heart. I wanted to do the same for them: Christian's new wonder "The Overkill Deck" I think is just the perfect thing. Smile

P.S. I really like your name: "takeachance", it reminds me of ABBA and their great songs. Smile
Alan Rorrison
View Profile
V.I.P.
2477 Posts

Profile of Alan Rorrison
Snagged one at blackpool.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Coming soon: Card Shark's "Overkill Deck" by Tim Zager (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL