The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Coming soon: Card Shark's "Overkill Deck" by Tim Zager (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3727 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
What's it like Alan? Any good mate?
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3375 Posts

Profile of takeachance
"P.S. I really like your name: "takeachance", it reminds me of ABBA and their great songs"

Never thought of ABBA. It's the name we gave our dog we got from the pound.
Card-Shark
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1738 Posts

Profile of Card-Shark
Ok, so here I am, joining the thread. Just woke up in Batavia, where I had a blast at the FFFF Convention.
This Overkilll Deck from Tim will be awesome. It combines ideas of 100 years of Magic, all by themselves very strong. In combination: the Overkill.

Whenever I demonstrate it, it gives me so much joy to play with it, not that I would be able to first blow the magician's mind on the other side of the table when I demonstrate the features of it. The final part of the demonstration is that I let them riffle through the deck themselves. The surprise on their faces and the comments that all would be changed into censored words here are just priceless.

The best way to describe it to all who have Get Sharky: while Get Sharky is a (very strong) one trick pony, the Overkill Deck is the Swiss Army Knife of decks. And seemingly, like that knife, the deck hides all the tools on the inside.

I am not sure how a demo video should look like, which effect you want to see. There is so much in it. Get Sharky does one effect, but that in the cleanest (im)possible way. this can be demonstrated. but with the Overkill: Every strong effect that uses the coding could be done with a regular deck, sleight of hand (to peek the card) and the passion to learn all the coding for a second sight act.
Simon Aronson's quote when he saw it demonstrated: "This is our act in one deck!"

Unfortunately I did not film the presentation on stage with Charlie Frye earlier this year. We just did this "impromptu" that he went into the audience and I found the cards the spectators looked at. It really was strong with no effort. Charlie's quote: "I always wanted to do a second sight act with my wife, but I feared a divorce with the coding Sherry would have to learn. I love the Overkill Deck."

While we are in the preparation for a release, the instructions are still in development. The instructions are already great but I could imagine that more routine ideas could be given. On the other hand maybe you, the future owners of it, can also share their ideas with all of us and I will add them to the instructions.

As you might know all instructions we put out since last year or so, are also available online incl. translations in other languages. That way I can not only add another language when it is available, but also I can update the english one as well from time to time. Talking about languages: We also prepare an international version where you can write your own coding into it. For all the lazy magicians out there: we also offer to custom print their language into the deck. So far we developed the codings for German, Spanish, Italian and French (that will be completed in a few days).
That also brought me to the idea to custom print a version for all the fellows out there performing on stage without glasses who cannot read the marking on a deck (anymore). So I have custom printed a peek version without the coding that uses the whole space available for the marking. These markings are HUGE. Funny stuff.

I will soon start a pre-release available for all our newsletter subscribers and customers. So if you want to be one of the first, sign in for our newsletter.

The Person Who Says It cannot Be Done Should Not Interrupt The Person Doing It!
Chinese Proverb
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10616 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Wow...

Thanks Christian and PLEASE send me a pre-release notice - I should be on your list for gosh sakes lol!

Also best regards to Trueinventor - looks like you are now posting quite a but here - you should be up to 1000+ posts in no time at this pace... and your thoughts on the "magic" of magic, those special moments of astonishment... are wonderful to read and a reminder of why many of us enjoy our craft & hobby so much. It also makes me feel good that some of my posts have helped others here at the Café.

Also, Get Sharky may be a one trick pony as Christian says but I agree that it is the #1 horse in my gaffed deck stable. It is a unique and beautifully made product that never fails to blow spectators away, and make me look much more talented then I really am.

Good luck with this new "Swiss Army knife."

When you call it that it sounds to me like this deck includes (guessing) a st**c, Sven, St****r, ma***d, R&S perhaps, and other ideas combined into one. I was curious how this compares to Max Krause's M.U.D. Deck which also has a Swiss Army concept? Anyone have both? http://maxsmagicshop.com/products-page/c......c-decks/
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3426 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Had a chance to see Christian demo and blow people away with this deck yesterday in the Dealers room at MAWNY. Like Christian says it is based on some classic ideas but beautifully made and very versatile. I also picked up one of his parlour size invisible decks. The "touch" on these is beautiful, very easy to work (not SF).

John
BatsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1052 Posts

Profile of BatsMagic
Quote:
On 2013-04-29 00:29, trueinventor wrote:

The young mom: Lindsey, let me know that her beautiful little 5 year old son Aden loves magic. I then did a normal "If I am on target tonight I might be able to guess whatever card you pick" (using a one way f****e deck.

Which is why I will order at least two decks: One for me, and one for little Aden that I will entrust to his mom for safekeeping until the little fella is old enough to understand and use the world of wonder that lies within the box of cards Christian is bringing to us.

I do believe that you must be over 21 years old to own this deck.

Why don't you get him some things like the old "Penny and Dime" trick to use now? Real cheap and easy to do! There are plenty of things like that for a young child to use. You could take all of the money you would spend on this and get 8 or 10 things for him now, instead of later!

Why make him wait 16 years before he does this trick?

:bat:
Alan Rorrison
View Profile
V.I.P.
2477 Posts

Profile of Alan Rorrison
I like it... It may not be for everyone but I like it.
Card-Shark
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1738 Posts

Profile of Card-Shark
Quote:
On 2013-04-29 10:57, BatsMagic wrote:
Quote:

The young mom: Lindsey, let me know that her beautiful little 5 year old son Aden loves magic. I then did a normal "If I am on target tonight I might be able to guess whatever card you pick" (using a one way f****e deck.

Which is why I will order at least two decks: One for me, and one for little Aden that I will entrust to his mom for safekeeping until the little fella is old enough to understand and use the world of wonder that lies within the box of cards Christian is bringing to us.

I do believe that you must be over 21 years old to own this deck.

Why don't you get him some things like the old "Penny and Dime" trick to use now? Real cheap and easy to do! There are plenty of things like that for a young child to use. You could take all of the money you would spend on this and get 8 or 10 things for him now, instead of later!

Why make him wait 16 years before he does this trick?

:bat:

I would be happy to consider something else for this boy. This is advanced stuff, it is as if you sit a guy at driving school in the seat of a Ferrari. This will not teach him how to amaze others and forward the pleasure in Magic that we all received from our ancestors.

Chinese Proverb
trueinventor
View Profile
Loyal user
Lynchburg Va
217 Posts

Profile of trueinventor
Hey, Hi bats! Smile

Well, I understand your thinking and yes, I should do give those too. really good suggestion.

Part of my reasons though for also wanting Aden's mom to be able to hold "Overkill" for him is it will be a reminder for them that God knows their heartaches and responds to those with an oasis of kindness once in awhile to keep spirits up. That deck being kept in it's "one day I'm gonna have that" place will be a rainbow waiting to be seen that Aden knows is on the horizon.

It's similar to a dad pointing to a restored '67 Mustang in the barn and telling his little boy: "Sam, one day that will be yours".

To your point though, Dad should be giving Sam a few tricylces and bicycles along the way. Smile

In similar fashion, I had ordered Rasmus' wonderful "Haunted Deck" and when it came from Hungary, with all the neat stamps, and when I saw the beautiful DVD case and seal I just couldn't bring myself to open it. It was too pretty for me to break open: I would much rather my son Matt be able to do that one day if and when the Lord will allow me to reunite with my son. Matt loved magic. And so Rasmus' "Haunted Deck" waits for him and somehow gives me comfort when I look at it from time to time holding on to the hope that I will see him again one day and be able to make him smile like I once did with unexpected treasures.

AND then, there is this to consider: Nearby in Ho Ho Kus there is a somewhat famous restaurant: "Matthews" where the owners tell the story of an incredibly talented little 5 year old "magician" whose Dad would bring him in on Saturday, dressed in a tux, and who would capture the hearts of the customers as he went table to table with his pretty advanced illusions.

From what I understand the young fella was doing impossible things very early on with magic and eventually performed, and performs, at some of the major theatres in New York. He still comes to Matthews and I'm not sure I should give his name without his permission...but...
bats, kids can sometimes be mind-blowing in how quickly they can master things.

I am a very unskilled magician, am so slow to learn illusions, and I just have this feeling that Aden, at the very least, will be on pace with my learning curve. Smile

Ok bats, I know what you're thinking..."Alex, I'm not convinced, in fact, you shouldn't have a deck either until you're over 21!" OOOhhh gosh, I wish I wasn't so far over 21. Smile
trueinventor
View Profile
Loyal user
Lynchburg Va
217 Posts

Profile of trueinventor
Oh--Hi Christian,

just saw your post. Sure, thank you. Anything you think would be "hands on" at the moment for a child Aden's age I will place an order for.

Ummmm....ok, now I'm pushing the limit, but could you possibly autograph it for Aden? Smile

your friend,
Alex
trueinventor
View Profile
Loyal user
Lynchburg Va
217 Posts

Profile of trueinventor
Takeachance --what a great name for a rescued dog! Dad always brought ours home from the pound and I still remember those “christening of the puppy with his name” moments being so fun. You chose a perfect name!—is it ok if I borrow it if I ever am able to have another puppy?

Saysold1 –thank you for your kind note. I feel honored to be in the company of the men and women who ‘ve joined Steve’s Café. It’s true that I pay special attention to your thoughts because most anyone reading them, and seeing your posted photo, can sense you have a lot of kindness, honor, and integrity and a love for life and people and your reviews can be trusted. You are just such a genuine down-to-earth person.

Christian and Tim—Wow, Wow, wow, and…..WOW! Smile

Magnus—your quote: “Shut up and take my money!” has had me laughing and smiling all morning.Smile

Things that happen here out of the clear blue like your quote are one of the many reasons the Café is such a great place to spend time.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5316 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
I don’t need no stinkin' demo, Christian. Just take the money and give me the deck!!

Thanks!

Jim

PS to Brett: I have Max,s MUD deck but, sniff sniff... no Overkill Deck to compare it with. Smile
(BTW, MUD deck - great idea though mine came with a lot of defects: misprints, or actually off-center prints, markings came off within three or four practices, R&S didn't hold well - had to re-apply my own. Created more work for me than I needed. It's in a drawer somewhere, I think.)
trueinventor
View Profile
Loyal user
Lynchburg Va
217 Posts

Profile of trueinventor
Hi J-Mac,

Your statement has let me finish out today with laughter Smile...Magnus got it going and now your: "I don’t need no stinkin' demo, Christian. Just take the money and give me the deck!! Thanks! Jim"

has got me smiling again til my face hurts. I'll still be smiling tonight!

It reminded me of Muhammed Ali saying (my paraphrase): "I ain't worried 'bout no Joe Fraz-yah, jus bring on the fight an stop all that talking 'bout Joe Fraz-yah" Smile

I'm usually such a "wordy" person but now I am re-thinking that...I kinda like you're and Magnus' way of saying things a whole lot!--Just say it short and sweet and Don't leave no confusion about where you stand. Smile

Oh my gosh...it's not my nature any more but I think I might take a cue from you and Magnus and just say, if Christian replys to me in any way: "Just shut up and give me the Deck!"---I'm sorry Christian...didn't mean it...Smile

Thank you J-Mac for being you old boy!
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4151 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Quote:
Thank you nanaswan for your "seconding" what Mr. Zager has let us know.

So far it seems the only downside is that I DON'T HAVE ONE! Smile

Fellas, I wanted to share this moment with you: Tonight a very hard working family invited me to have dinner with them; their treat, at a brand new restaurant after church. It really touched my heart because they don't have a lot and...I do, but they didn't know that. ("Casual Bum" is my favorite look Smile )

Even that simple illusion seemed amazing to them and when they asked: "HOW did you do that?" I began saying: "I don't know, isn't it incredible? I just seem to have this unexplainable psychic ability where cards are concerned"--as I was slowly fanning out the cards at my side "face up" for them to see---which of course made them laugh.

I then did Invisible Deck and Oz's Renegade Triumph and they were just astounded.

BUT THEN came the most wonderful magic trick of all: Little Aden took one of my normal decks and spread them out face down on the dinner table, picked three of them and laid them still face down in front of me, and then looking at me with his bright smile asked this question: "Which card is which?"

I couldn't help but to burst out laughing and replied: "Why Aden...I, I don't know...I know some of the world's greatest magicians and I'm not sure even THEY would know... I think you have posed the most mind-boggling unsolvable question ever asked in the history of magic---I have absolutely no idea "which card is which"-- I don't know if Dr. Einstein himself could ever solve this impossible riddle! Perhaps This one is This one and That one is That one but I have no idea if I'm right."

As the parents and grandparents realized the enigma the little child had created with his presentation and question they began laughing till they cried and little Aden smiled and laughed with us knowing that he had something to do with everyone being so happy.

These folks are so loving and kind. They sincerely love Jesus, and it shows, and so love people but have so very little and yet, with what little they have, they were reaching out to me because they thought I needed it. They deserved that moment of laughter and happiness and it will stay with them, and with me, for life. That moment stemmed from the world of "magic": a world many of us here at the Café love.

God has blessed us with a unique ability or means to, with usually so little cost to ourselves, bring moments of wonder and joy to people at just a moment's notice by simply reaching into our pockets and letting the magic begin.

One of the great, truly world-renowned, Café magicians recently PM'd me and said (my paraphrase): "Alex, I am so saddened that the money part of magic is growing while the memories we create with our "moments of magic" to uplift others and make them smile seems to be less and less important."

I say these things, in part, because Christian and Card Shark have never come across as "mostly about the money". That makes me want to purchase the Over Kill Deck all the more because I, and I think maybe many here at the Café, love the "memories we create" part of magic most of all.

For me personally, I don't know if I will ever smile quite as broadly, when remembering moments of magic from my life, as I now smile when I consider Aden's child-like but brilliantly unsolvable question: "Which card is which?" Smile, but I do know this: it is almost a certainty that "Over Kill" is going to create thousands of moments that will stay with people for life and will end up being viewed by magicians as a great gift from a great creator of illusions: Christian, to us and then through us to others.

I've never praised an illusion like this without first having it but...this time you just know...Smile

Well I gotta say what a wonderful story and I just love your passion for our art a big thumbs up from me in making the lad happy reminds me of how I enjoyed teaching my nephew who is about 8 now ,don't see him anymore though he realy surprised me how quick he learn't,might have to get this for my self, all the best

Shane
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10616 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Jim-

I had a M.U.D. Deck before it came out and it wasn't quite my cup of tea - although I really respect Max. I tried a pre-release that Max made at his place in Phoenix.

Based on what John (Talbot) says... I now KNOW that this is something I definitely want.

Also, this sounds like it may be a distant relative of Sharky but with a much wider range of possibilities. Very cool.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Tim Zager
View Profile
Loyal user
Kansas City
222 Posts

Profile of Tim Zager
I have a handful of "hand-made" prototypes of the Overkill Deck that I have been making over the last couple years...not sure what to do with them now that they're being manufactured by Card Shark.

I'll give one away. If you're interested, PM me and I'll draw a random name this Wed, May 1 at 6:00pm CST. Send a PM! I will only draw a name from people who PMd. It's free. The only catch is you agree to come back and report on it here...and you let me announce your name as winner in this thread.
Make sure your customers never lose your information,
with a Digital Business Card.
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3426 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
You are right Brett there is some relation. Get Sharky which we both love is a very cool self contained effect, Overkill is a tool and will require some thought on how and when to best use it. Incorporating this in a two person act (formally or informally) might be the ultimate application for this. Loved watching Christian and his booth partner jazz with this, they were having fun and it showed.

John
trueinventor
View Profile
Loyal user
Lynchburg Va
217 Posts

Profile of trueinventor
Shane (Firestarter),

Thank you so very much for your warm and kind comment. I am so glad you have those great memories of your nephew in your heart and that he too has them. Smile All of this puts me in mind of the video "The Magic Box" that Mr. Brooks gave us a "heads up" on.

Guys, as a collector and inventor I wanted to comment on Mr. Zager's so very kind offer of the random draw: "Shut up and give me the Deck!"--- I'm so sorry...I am truly just kidding Smile...flashback to earlier comments...Smile

Actually, what I really wanted to say was that, as a collector and inventor I've learned that there can be HUGE value in a prototype.

Especially one Hand-Made by the creator. A Ford Model T, 100th off the assembly line is valuable but not nearly so much as a working hand-made prototype by Henry Ford would be. Another example would be the Wright Brothers' "First Flight" aircraft vs a modern "one of many" Cessna's today. Cessna--Good Prize! First Ever Flying machine---WOW! REALLLYYYY GOOD Prize!

Whoever wins that drawing will have a treasure of a lifetime!

Thank you Mr. Zager for your heart.
trueinventor
View Profile
Loyal user
Lynchburg Va
217 Posts

Profile of trueinventor
P.S.

Mr. Zager, if you see...oh maybe...15 or 20 PM's to you entering the drawing under different Café names but all of them, oddly enough, from MY I.P. address...

please pay no attention to the anamoly. Smile
Card-Shark
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1738 Posts

Profile of Card-Shark
Just landed in Germany, coming back from the FFFF. What a great time I had with all the Masterminds and Pro Close Up Magicians.

I brainstormed with my friend and Card-Shark USA Roger Nicot how to best film a demo. I think it will be great. Just have to see where and when to film it as I will not be in the USA for the next two months aproximately. And I bet you don't want to wait that long.

Chinese Proverb
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Coming soon: Card Shark's "Overkill Deck" by Tim Zager (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.28 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL