The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Beginner's POV: Street Magic by Paul Zenon (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

The Amazing Pog
View Profile
Veteran user
372 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Pog
Note: I am a beginner magician, this review is written from that perspective.

Title: Street Magic
Author: Paul Zenon
Published: Carlton Books, 2005
Page count: 192

The Bottom Line: This is a great book for the serious beginner. It's given me more bang for my buck than any other starting magic book I own. Some say it's too good.

Review: This is a real treat of a book. Paul Zenon was at the forefront of the UK street magic scene and is a solid performer, so this is written by a man who knows his trade, and his expertise comes through on every glossy, full-colour page. His writing style is great: easy-to-read, clear, a dash of humour and lots of quality tips and hints. Indeed, it's these hints and tips regarding performance that make the book so useful for the beginner - this isn't just a catalogue of easy to do tricks, this is solid material where moves, tricks, routines, patter and tips are all integrated.

Is it easy to follow? Yes. The tricks are explained well and there are plenty of large colour photographs. It could have benefitted from some diagrams, or clearer captions for some photos, but there is little difficulty most of the time (some tricks you'll need to re-read a couple of times, though).

But is the material any good? Oh yes. This is A-grade stuff. And that is where it gets a little controversial. Some thought that Zenon had gone too far with this book - this stuff isn't just your normal bunch of self-workers. This is the real deal. Zenon give practical sleights, worker routines and tips professional gimmicks: TT? Check. Sw*mi? Check. Cigarette through coin? Check. Marked cards? Check. And the list goes on ... And the routines and effects are top-grade material too: Ambitious Card; 3 card Monte; Out-of-this-World; the shell game; spoon bending; pulse stopping, to name a few. There's enough here to build a solid worker repetoire. As to whether this borders on exposure I cannot say; but for the serious beginner who sticks to the code and is willing to practice this is gold dust.

Why is it good particularly for the beginner? Because of the focus. Beginners (like me) cut their teeth performing close-up magic for small audiences. We don't often do stage shows and the like. And this book doesn't waste any space with illusions, stage effects or filler tricks. Everything here is useful for the beginner - you really can do every effect here.

Is it difficult? Varies. there's some very simple stuff here, as you would expect from a book targeting novices. But it doesn't stop with that. It has harder sleights and routines too - but even these have been stripped down, simplified, and made accessible to the beginner who's willing to put in the hours. Some effects you'll be doing almost straight away, others will take a few solid weeks/months of practice. But I consider this a plus: you'll still be referencing this book a year after you buy it. Trust me.

Expensive? No. And this is the most amazing thing; it's dirt cheap. I bought my copy second hand off Amazon for under a tenner (about $15). Criminal!

Out-of-ten: 9/10 This is one of the three or four key resources I'd recommend for the serious beginner. I personally have found it more useful (so far) than Wilson's course, or Hay's Amatuer Magician's Handbook, or Ogden's Idiot's Guide to Magic, or any of the Fulve's Self-Workers series. Buy it.
'One of the safest ways to make a good performance is to have tricks which work so easily, that mechanics can be forgotten and every attention devoted to presentation' - Corinda
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Beginner's POV: Street Magic by Paul Zenon (1 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL