The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Getting rid of gaffed cards (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
louisk
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of louisk
After finishing a packet effect, how do you get rid of the gaffed cards ?
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6998 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Put them away. Smile

Not to be sarcastic, but really. I put them away and move on to the next trick. Or put them away and you're done. But I usually like to end my sets with something examinable. So if I'm going to do something with unexaminable gaffs, I do it in the middle of the set.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1365 Posts

Profile of lynnef
Quote:
On 2013-04-29 09:43, Cameron Francis wrote:
Put them away. Smile

Not to be sarcastic, but really. I put them away and move on to the next trick. Or put them away and you're done. But I usually like to end my sets with something examinable. So if I'm going to do something with unexaminable gaffs, I do it in the middle of the set.

A very good answer to a very good question. The advice of using the gaffs in the middle of the set is what caught my eye! I rarely get asked to have cards examined, but if you use regular cards in the beginning, it takes heat and suspicion off of gaffs in the middle! Great advice, thank you Cameron. Lynn
Octarine Prince
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of Octarine Prince
The above is exactly what I read: pre-condition your audience in the beginning that your materials are ordinary, so that there is no strong suspicion that they AREN'T later on in your act.
louisk
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of louisk
Thanks for the great advice !

Are there any suggestions when they demand to check or am I performing the effect wrongly ?
ahattrick
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of ahattrick
Quote:
pre-condition your audience in the beginning that your materials are ordinary, so that there is no strong suspicion that they AREN'T later on in your act.

Usually if you follow this advice ^^^, you should be fine, I am in complete agreement!

There are rare occasions where skeptical/critical people who will watch you with distrust and demand to check constantly

You can always say just tell them no, while not the best approach, it will not reveal anything.

You should be aware of your audience, especially if it is a small one. If you start to get a vibe like this, either end it hopefully before a gimmick-ed trick and walk away, or have a gimmick that can reset immediately on hand (or do a trick that doesn't involve a gimmick). Either way, don't push your luck, you can always find a better audience who will be more willing to watch and enjoy instead of criticize
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6998 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Pacing is important. If they are demanding to see the cards, then you are giving them too much breathing room. Do the trick, let the effect register and then move on before they can say anything.

Also, how are you handling the cards? Normally or suspiciously? Be sure to handle them casually. Like they mean nothing.

Experience will help you a lot. It takes time to get good at these things.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
louisk
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of louisk
Quote:
On 2013-04-30 13:00, Cameron Francis wrote:
Pacing is important. If they are demanding to see the cards, then you are giving them too much breathing room. Do the trick, let the effect register and then move on before they can say anything.

Also, how are you handling the cards? Normally or suspiciously? Be sure to handle them casually. Like they mean nothing.

Experience will help you a lot. It takes time to get good at these things.

Thank you very much for your advice !
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4397 Posts

Profile of Paul
Cameron's advice is spot on. Timing and attitude are all important. Performed in the right manner, one very, very rarely gets asked. And you know what? It's NOT that important if you occassionally are, simply smile and say something humorous as you put the cards away, like:
I'm afraid not, you'd discover I was actually doing a magic trick and magic isn't real.
Sorry, but you might accidentally damage the expensive microchips in the cards.
No, but if you want to learn the trick I give lessons and my rates are reasonable.

You can probably come up with something better. But then you quickly move on to something else.
louisk
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of louisk
Sounds good ! Will try it the next time
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
As a confidence builder, you can try putting them away, as Cameron says, but put them into a switching wallet loaded with matching normal cards. Don't come back to it unless they ask to see the cards. If you find that they very rarely, if ever, ask to see the cards, then maybe you'll be more comfortable getting rid of the special wallet.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
DollarThief
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of DollarThief
While I agree with everything posted above, Tool by David Stone is a gimmick that would let you switch in or out gaffed cards.
dragonash
View Profile
Veteran user
the sticks
363 Posts

Profile of dragonash
I like the late Paul Diamond's method. "You can't look at those -- they're fake."

This works well even for examinable things. It's YOUR performance, not the spectator's. Do it the way you learned it and move on.
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of 0045
Check out Jeff Kaylor's Any Signed Card To Any Spectators Wallet. The Utility device included is ideal for switching out gaffed cards.

I don't normally use gaffs, however with this little devil I am seriously reconsidering what has always been a no go area for me.

Regards

Stevie Tricker
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of Stevie Tricker
Quote:
On 2013-06-04 16:36, 0045 wrote:
Check out Jeff Kaylor's Any Signed Card To Any Spectators Wallet. The Utility device included is ideal for switching out gaffed cards.

I don't normally use gaffs, however with this little devil I am seriously reconsidering what has always been a no go area for me.

Regards

Never say never Smile

I'll 2nd that its a great utility.

I tend to use it to ring in the gaffs then gamblers cop or palm them out when required. ( the climax or routining of the effect usually allows moment where this will not be noticed)
Macphail
View Profile
Regular user
167 Posts

Profile of Macphail
Quote:
On 2013-06-04 16:36, 0045 wrote:

Regards

I totally agree, though a good solid palm can work wonders.
ReviewerMaster
View Profile
Veteran user
307 Posts

Profile of ReviewerMaster
Or shim the card and have it attach with the case..
ZoOpDoG
View Profile
Veteran user
All the cool people have
311 Posts

Profile of ZoOpDoG
Link the tricks in the routine carrying one card from each previous trick into the next trick. As long as at least one card is consistent, people don't mind you dropping some and adding others. Final trick have something they get to keep. Takes all attention off final packet ditch. Example- Alice's Revenge let them keep the blank (write a plug on it saying how awesome you are that they stayed long enough for you to finish the routine! Smile Haunted 2.0 - Is one I like because its easy to control the gaff and any selections they make around any cards carried over from packet and they can keep the signed card. Each person who walks away with something ends that set and everyone is distracted. One person is stoked they got a souvenier and the others are jealous of it and trying to figure out how to be picked to participate next! People will fight over a key chain advertising a local car wash if you toss it into a crowd. Take aways are great distractions.
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2576 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
For those that know about the U.C.C.U. as noted above. If you only need to ditch the cards and not necessarily retrieve them in-performance, you can use the basic method of the utility--WITHOUT THE UTILITY! I've been doing this for a while and it works great. No gimmick needed.
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

Come visit Magic Book Report.com!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
MagicJuggler
View Profile
Inner circle
Anchorage, AK
1161 Posts

Profile of MagicJuggler
I don't use gaffed cards normally, and the few that I use are integrated into packet tricks that I can conveniantly put away at the end of the trick.
Matthew Olsen

www.mattolsenmagic.com

I heard from a friend that anecdotal evidence is actually quite reliable.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Getting rid of gaffed cards (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL