The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Ambitious Card versus Layman? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Jiceh
View Profile
Special user
France
742 Posts

Profile of Jiceh
What is the kind ot explanation that a layman tell you during a Ambitious Card Routine?

Of course they don't always try to find an explanation but sometimes they do. As far as I m concerned :

A few years ago, I used to do pinky counts in order to take a break under the top 2 cards and then make my DL. They never see my DL but one time, a woman said me "I don't known how you do it but there is something strange. Sometimes, the card seems to jump at the back corner ...". It was just the result of my pinky count at the time.

And you, what is the kind ot explanation that a layman tell you during a Ambitious Card Routine?
Bulla
View Profile
Special user
Honolulu, HI
674 Posts

Profile of Bulla
My ambitious card routine is only 3 phases long and the presentation is engaging enough that spectators don't focus on how the trick is done but rather relax and let themselves experience the magic.
Ado
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1033 Posts

Profile of Ado
I say that a freshly signed card comes to the top of the deck when one riffles the deck, as a result of the card being ambitious, no matter how you try to put the card in the deck, even face up.

And I don't do pinky counts, only push-off doubles, so I don't have your issue...

P!
Jiceh
View Profile
Special user
France
742 Posts

Profile of Jiceh
May be can I rewrite my question : What is the kind ot explanation that a layman give you during an Ambitious Card Routine the few times it happened to you?

The rest of the post was just an example.
foolsnobody
View Profile
Special user
Buffalo, NY
843 Posts

Profile of foolsnobody
I like David O. Bendix's rhyming patter for the Ambitious Card. It can be found in the Hierophant. Or is it Heirophant? Example: "Look! Hippity-hop, it comes to the top!" Or something like that. That's just one line. It's even more brilliant and moving than I've suggested...
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2013-04-29 14:58, Jiceh wrote:
What is the kind ot explanation that a layman tell you during a Ambitious Card Routine?

Of course they don't always try to find an explanation but sometimes they do. As far as I m concerned :

A few years ago, I used to do pinky counts in order to take a break under the top 2 cards and then make my DL. They never see my DL but one time, a woman said me "I don't known how you do it but there is something strange. Sometimes, the card seems to jump at the back corner ...". It was just the result of my pinky count at the time.

And you, what is the kind ot explanation that a layman tell you during a Ambitious Card Routine?

Have you read Dai Vernon's routine from The Stars Of Magic?
Jiceh
View Profile
Special user
France
742 Posts

Profile of Jiceh
Zombie
Yes I read Dai Vernon's routine from The Stars of Magic a few years ago (maybe 10).
Leonil
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of Leonil
My students I do my tricks for at school sometimes think Im palming, which forced me to turn my hand before revealing, and often they think Im taking the bottom card and "some how rolling it to the top" The best explanation my kids have used is that there is a hole in the middle of all the cards. To me, when I first learnt the AR, it seemed so simple and I always believed magic to be so complicated, I refused to believe people would fall for it and that my skills had to be amazingly good to pull it off... no, not really - so pleased that it was the first trick I learnt.
ahattrick
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of ahattrick
Many times I have been accused of using a fake deck, that there are doubles of the card, and once that I was born on Mars
Bandaloop
View Profile
Regular user
Dodging attacks for the past
195 Posts

Profile of Bandaloop
Duplicates of the same card are usually the most common explanation that laymen come up with. That's why it helps to have the card signed -- it eliminates that possible explanation.
Jiceh
View Profile
Special user
France
742 Posts

Profile of Jiceh
- a hole in all the card : curious
- duplicate : It's strange but it has never happened to me as far as I can remember
- Born on Mars : Amazing
billmarq
View Profile
Special user
State near Arizona
570 Posts

Profile of billmarq
My wife thinks I use magnets. I haven't figured out how that would even work.
Honi soit quit mal y pense.
Gary T.
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of Gary T.
I only do a couple phases and keep changing it up with each phase so much so that it doesn't get questioned often because it doesn't look the same repetitively, however, I have gotten "how many (insert card) do you have in that deck?" but usually they're kidding, they've all seen the deck and if they're not kidding for the last phase I have them sign the card so that kills that. I've never gotten "born on mars" but I've been told I have "some sort of f***'d up powers"
Billy-one
View Profile
Inner circle
IOWA
1028 Posts

Profile of Billy-one
Mine have said, "oh...I get it now, your flipping over two cards", ugh.

Billy

it happens
Jiceh
View Profile
Special user
France
742 Posts

Profile of Jiceh
One time someone told me : you put it back on top while we not look at your hand.
Montana76
View Profile
Inner circle
I hope I one day reach
1177 Posts

Profile of Montana76
"That routine was too long. I really liked card to mouth better."
Zack_Johnston
View Profile
Special user
California
656 Posts

Profile of Zack_Johnston
"I think you are using strings." That was from an adult.

From a young child (7): "I figured it out! Whenever you snap, the card jumps to the top!"

:)

Zack
Montana76
View Profile
Inner circle
I hope I one day reach
1177 Posts

Profile of Montana76
Quote:
On 2013-04-29 17:19, Bulla wrote:
My ambitious card routine is only 3 phases long and the presentation is engaging enough that spectators don't focus on how the trick is done but rather relax and let themselves experience the magic.

Would you like to share what effects you have chosen?
Bulla
View Profile
Special user
Honolulu, HI
674 Posts

Profile of Bulla
Quote:
On 2013-08-04 01:53, Montana76 wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-04-29 17:19, Bulla wrote:

Would you like to share what effects you have chosen?

I'll send you a PM so as not to expose anything here in the public forum.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
I don't do a full pack Ambitious Card routine. I won't go into the reasons here as they are not germane to the thread. I perform Larry Jennings's Ambitious Classic (or its variant) found in The Classic Magic of Larry Jennings. A lot more happens in this beautifully constructed routine than a card rising to the top 1,000,000 times. If, like me, you don't like full pack AC, give the Jennings routine a try. Smile

Namaste,
Vlad
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Ambitious Card versus Layman? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL