The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Alert for Boston performers (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

RandomEffects
View Profile
Veteran user
Boston, MA
323 Posts

Profile of RandomEffects
For those of you who are not aware, the boston MBTA (the subway authority) has recently banned all buskers from its area unless they now meet its exacting criteria.

Now while there are rules governing buskers, this new legislation is backed up by a 9/11 commision who feel they are a threat to security. Now I am normally a moderate person in politics but this act has outraged me.

As an American citizen I have no problems with the laws governing the safety of my or any other country, but I find it surprisingly curious that this legislation pops up 2 years after the fact. I am disgusted that anyone would try to use this atrocity upon my country as a reason to ban performers from a public area that has always been open to them.

you can read more about this at:
http://www.weeklydig.com/dig/content/5234.aspx

While I do not even perform in this area, I have seen other Magicians and a lot of other performer's working here This smacks of cenorship at its worst, cloaked in a veil of "Protecting us against terrorism". That and now the MBTA can shut down anyone they want under the guise of national security, regardless of whether or not you have a permit.

I would probaly not be so insulted if this had not been brought about as a 9/11 act.

Sorry, but as a city that was the birthplace of American Freedom, I needed to get this off my chest, and frankly warn others that if this law/act/whatever passes this may be coming to your city soon as well.

Mat Random

For those who are also disgusted by this you may feel free to sign a petition against it at:

http://www.petitiononline.com/Tmusic/petition.html

Thanks for everyones help,

Mat Random
procyonrising
View Profile
Special user
New York
698 Posts

Profile of procyonrising
Hey Random,

Originally from NYC, I was surprised to see how much better the street performers were in Boston. It's a shame the T cracks down on buskers and not those annoying "change" guys.
tboehnlein
View Profile
Inner circle
ohio
1787 Posts

Profile of tboehnlein
I am neither agreeing with nor criticing the regulations, but many have said that freedom comes with a price & to what extent we wish to protect that freedom we will also pay a price. It does sound foolish to believe that an instrument or simple amplification would hinder a warning signal, but prior to 911 I think many would have been ubale to believe that 3 jets could have been hijacked using nothing more than box cutters & take out the WTC, pentagon & 1000's of lives.
bigchuck
View Profile
Veteran user
Nothing clever has ever been said in my
400 Posts

Profile of bigchuck
If freedom's price is basic freedom itself then what are we really buying ? and who is selling it ?
"The computer can't tell you the emotional story. It can give you the exact
mathematical design, but what's missing is the eyebrows. - Frank Zappa"
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Have there been any developments concerning these regulations?
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
RandomEffects
View Profile
Veteran user
Boston, MA
323 Posts

Profile of RandomEffects
Soon after the regulation was brought to public light many people both in and out of the city fought them from enacting it. It seems that this was not so much a threat to the public as it was a way for 1 particular members of the city goverment to get rid of people he did not care for. After the whole issue was made more public it quickly vanished.
wayno
View Profile
Veteran user
Canada
323 Posts

Profile of wayno
Heh. Good job on that brilliant idea.
Wayne Stevenson
The SpookClub
http://www.spookclub.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Alert for Boston performers (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL