The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Thanks for the arguments! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
In this forum, I mean.

It is true that many old arguments continue in new clothing for years--the economy, gun control, and anthropogenic climate change come to mind. Several people have commented recently that no one's opinion seems to change and have suggested that this makes the discussions pointless.

In my case, I learn a lot from these discussions. I have visited sites, read books, read academic and government articles that I never would have seen were it not for these discussions.

I suspect that NOTS discussions will not change my deep, fundamental beliefs. But the details have changed considerably, and I have strengthened my understanding of others.

For this, I thank all the NOTS-heads who play this rough sport with me.

:stout:

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Smile Smile
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Agree wholeheartedly.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
For some reason, I *love* these conversations in person, but dislike engaging in them online.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
I agree, Magnus.
David Marcus
View Profile
New user
3,375.97 miles outside of Paris, France.
81 Posts

Profile of David Marcus
Quote:
On 2013-05-01 09:07, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
I learn a lot from these discussions. I have visited sites, read books, read academic and government articles that I never would have seen were it not for these discussions.

As do I. And I appreciate those that have caused me to do that, and those that can keep things civil. I don't care for the way some threads (and some threaders) turn to hostility and disrepect when someone disagrees, but I'm learning to block those out.

I'd also say that I have come to respect a few guys that I at first annoyed me to no end. But after stepping back and taking the personal impressions away, I've found them to be quite thought provoking in their posts.

My thanks for that as well.
“Next to music, beer was best.” - Carson McCullers
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Hello John,

I hope you don't think I was arguing that everyone should stop. It's really just a personal choice for myself. There are a few who comment on these threads, notably you and Woland, who are able to stay above the fray and not get personal. I commend you for that. I'm afraid I don't have the strength and have certainly contributed as much as many to the pettiness and mean-spirited posts that tend to occur during these discussions that many have such strong feelings about. For ME, the negativity is no longer worth it and I'll be the first to admit that the political discussions will be just a bit nicer with me avoiding them. I will however probably continue to follow the discussions, at least for the time being unless I feel the pull to respond become to strong.

Mike
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2013-05-01 15:45, rockwall wrote:
Hello John,

I hope you don't think I was arguing that everyone should stop. It's really just a personal choice for myself. There are a few who comment on these threads, notably you and Woland, who are able to stay above the fray and not get personal. I commend you for that. I'm afraid I don't have the strength and have certainly contributed as much as many to the pettiness and mean-spirited posts that tend to occur during these discussions that many have such strong feelings about. For ME, the negativity is no longer worth it and I'll be the first to admit that the political discussions will be just a bit nicer with me avoiding them. I will however probably continue to follow the discussions, at least for the time being unless I feel the pull to respond become to strong.

Mike

No I didn't Mike, but thanks for the note. I have found that occasionally I have been upset by discussions here; and that is definitely a sign that it's time to take a break. Enjoy your break; I've taken a few myself. Perhaps you, like Marlin, will discover that you are happier abstaining completely. Which is very cool.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
I disagree with everyting for the sake for ARGUING!

Smile

GREAT THREAD BTW...
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Confronting different points of view is very good for sharpening your thinking and keeping you humble.
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
188 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
On 2013-05-01 11:02, Chessmann wrote:
For some reason, I *love* these conversations in person, but dislike engaging in them online.

Interesting. I think I might be the opposite. I find that the online forum allows you to step back, digest what you've read, perhaps do some research, and then respond in a more thoughtful and deliberate manner than in an "off the cuff" personal situation. To me that's more rewarding than a situation in which you'll likely be cut off mid-sentence, be ignored, or get a pie in the face.

Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Thanks for the arguments! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL