The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Dennis Loomis (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
ackerly
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of ackerly
Dennis was full of knowledge and always had a story to tell. He always called me, 'my friend". It was interesting reading about him in Spellbound book on Doug Henning. We had many sessions together with friends here in the Bay Area and worked several gigs too. After one gig, he told me to get rid of my Kevin James bowling ball. He said that no one did it like Don Alan - and Don had a reason for producing it. He went into great detail about Don's routine. Needless to say, I did not get rid of my Kevin James bowling ball. And every time I do it, I think of Dennis and our conversation.
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2875 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
I really enjoyed meeting Dennis in the 70ties in Ann Arbor, wonderfully nice to me as a college kid who obviously had no where near the knowledge he had. Just so very pleasant, I will always remember that. I really enjoyed his writing about Colon in the M-U-M, I remember his Abbott's Get-Together performances well. So very sad to hear.
David Eichler
View Profile
Grammar Host
Durham, ME
1728 Posts

Profile of David Eichler
So hard to believe...RIP Dennis.
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3725 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
I just saw this...so sad to hear this. Dennis and I communicated a few times about some things a few years ago. I hate when the good people pass.

Steve
DonKnox
View Profile
New user
Oceanside, CA
33 Posts

Profile of DonKnox
If anyone feels they might want to write an obituary for Dennis, Richard Kaufman is asking for a volunteer for a 250 word one at the Genii Forum and a photograph. It would seem nice for a personal friend to do so.

Don
Amyxdove
View Profile
Regular user
Andy Amyx
143 Posts

Profile of Amyxdove
Smile he was such a nice man
Andy Amyx

www.andyamyx.com
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
4745 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
Dennis was a great guy who had experience in performing pretty much any kind of magic, be it close-up, stage, Illusions and even escapes for that matter.

Many people are not aware that as a young man he traveled all over the United States performing a full size illusion show.

A great guy who will certainly be missed by many.

R.I.P. Dennis.
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Very sad, and shocked, to hear of Dennis's passing. May he rest in peace.

Bob Cassidy
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2875 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
Mike Maturen helpfully posted that Rick Fisher of FAB Magic in Colon has made available a video of Dennis performing at Michigan Magic Day. See:

http://www.youtube.com/embed/Ho91jSDAHjY?rel=0
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3228 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
He was a great guy, always willing to share his knowledge. Sad to hear of this tragic news.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17197 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Tragic news! Dennis was such a great guy and magician. Sure going to miss him.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17083 Posts

Profile of joseph
So sad..I liked reading his posts...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I was talking to him just a few weeks ago about rope magic. Dennis was a class act who taught me to do the snap knot. I will never forget him RIP Dennis.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
When Dennis decided to stop writing his articles for M.U.M. I was very disappointed, but I knew he deserved a break. Still, I missed reading them. I hope someone can still do the compilation project as a book someday.

It's still hard to believe he's gone. Has the cause of death been determined yet?

R.I.P. my friend.

:(
Mister Mystery
Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1428 Posts

Profile of Gerry Walkowski
I really enjoyed his articles in MUM. At least many of us SAM members were lucky enough to read these.

Gerry
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
So sad to hear of Dennis' passing.
He took the time to mentor many of
us not only here, but in life.

He will be severely missed by those
who were lucky enough to break bread
with him.

@Magic Bus
Many thanks for posting the video

R.I.P. Brother Loomis, please say,
"Hi" to Doug Henning for us.
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
Matt Adams
View Profile
Special user
Harvest, AL
827 Posts

Profile of Matt Adams
Man...just read in MAGIC (June issue) that Dennis took his own life. It doesn't say anything more about that...but that's a shock for sure. He will be missed.

Instagram: @mattadamsministries

Facebook: www.facebook.com/mattadamsministries
leftytheclown
View Profile
Loyal user
Illinois
255 Posts

Profile of leftytheclown
You meet friends when you least expect it. I had purchased Dennis’ Cups and Balls Routine, but never dreamed I would meet him. After my book was published, I received a phone from Dennis and he wanted to make a DVD of the book. How could I refuse? I flew out to California and Dennis, Joe Oliverio and I spent three days making a DVD. Although the DVD was only moderately successful, a friendship was born. Dennis and I corresponded via e-mail and telephone calls, but I never made it back out to California to visit.

Dennis was generous to a fault. He gave freely of his time, magic effects, and advice. He recommended a magic product I make to a magic dealer. I still receive orders for these items. I also purchased several tricks from him and when I had trouble understanding how to perform them, he graciously tutored me over the phone. He sent me silks, props, and videos to boost my career.

Dennis and I shared a passion for the Aronson Stack and memorized deck effects. He let me make a contribution to the Memorized Deck section on his web site. He said he didn’t do a lot of sleight-of-hand magic, but he was far better than I. I learned the Kelly Card Control from him. His Micro-Chop cup routine was and is an outstanding effect.

Dennis was professional magician, a musician, juggler, carpenter, cabinet maker and more. He also had a kind and gentle soul. I never heard Dennis say a derogatory word about anyone, even at a personal cost. As one magician said of Dennis, his mistress was magic and his love for that mistress was unfailing.

Magic has lost a good man. I will miss him.
Lefty (aka) Sterling Dare
Author: Money Menagerie
Book and DVD
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Dennis Loomis (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL