The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » One way to get stage shows. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20586 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2013-05-02 14:48, Mormo Zine wrote:
Are you looking to get stage shows? This can be tough because there are not many opportunities out there. You can book a local theatre and do a couple of shows over a weekend but then what? With the cost of gas what it is it can be hard to take your show on the road.

One solution is to become a concert promoter! This way you can become a magic emcee, do your full stage act in between bands or do walk around close up in between sets. By charging an admission fee at the door or working out a deal with the venue for a cut of drinks you can pay the bands and yourself.

The first thing you want to do is find a bar or club that can have live performances. If you require a stage you will want to look for this. Approach the owner or person in charge and tell them you want to book a music and magic night. Starting off you may want to pick an off night during the week. The owner should be happy for a chance to get more customers on a slow night. Pick a date and comfirm your stipulations. Do you get a cut of the alcohol sales, do you provide your own doorman?

Next find a couple of bands to play. Every city has it's own weekly events paper. Start going to some shows and introduce yourself to the bands. Buy them a drink or perform a few tricks. Tell them about your exciting new show coming up and invite them to play. Ask them to recommend bands. Exchange numbers and get them to confirm that they can play the gig. Remember that not every show has to be Woodstock, two or three bands will be plenty!

Now you need to promote your show so people will show up. Design a poster that has the bands names, your name, venue address, time, 21+ or all ages, date and a cool picture that will entice your audience. Put these up at the venue and all over town, any place that has board you pin one to or a window you can tape one up. Use a staple hammer and put them on telephone poles as well. Get it listed in the paper and spread the word online on Facebook and anywhere else. The cool thing is the bands will help you promote and bring many of their friends as well.

The night of the show, remember to entertain your audience but your number one job is to sell drinks. It's cheesy but go ahead and tell them to tip their bartender. If your bands get paid and you get paid you could turn this into a monthly or even weekly gig!

This was his first post. Read it AND ONLY IT and tell me he is not trying to come off as an authority and a big time concert promoter.

He does not promote concerts. He promotes bar bands. Tony you need to grow up. I am sick of you guys with the everyone is great and every idea has merit nonsense.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2944 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Quote:
On 2013-05-07 22:15, charliecheckers wrote:
Yes I agree with Mindpro on the point that there was an alterior motive in the original post. In addition, I think it is a mistake to read too much into the physical presentation of a person when deciding how professional they are. Mormo is creating a personna and if it works for him, great. I think it would be a mistake for him to show up at such an event dressed much differently. I would be interested in view points on how Mormo might successfully pursue this type of niche market (not that Mormo himself is asking).

I do agree with you that he is playing a part with the makeup. Nothing wrong with that.

I didn't mention his makeup meaning that it was a bad thing, just trying to point out that he doesn't fit the profile that mindpro is describing of a top level execution promoter wearing a suit and tie. I'm simply saying, that it didn't appear to me like Mormo was trying to be anybody except Mormo.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with mentioning that you have a blog, newsletter, or product for sale on here. It happens all the time. It's always best if someone else mentions your product first. But with something brand new, that's sometimes hard to do. As long as you don't start advertising in every post, nobody cares. Well except Danny and Mindpro, they get upset but they do eventually get over it.

Other than from his posts on here, I have no idea who Mormo is, but for those wanting to find out more about him and maybe subscribe to his news, here is the link: I'm not into the punk rock underground stuff, but I did watch some of the videos and I liked his rope trick.

http://www.mormozine.com/

Tom
The Daycare Magician Book
https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/amazekids/the-daycare-magician/

When you come to the point where you have no need to impress anybody, your freedom will begin.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20586 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Last words huh Tom?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2944 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Quote:
On 2013-05-08 10:24, Dannydoyle wrote:
Last words huh Tom?

I just can't help it. We should be done soon because people are grasping for straws now. Smile

Tom

When you come to the point where you have no need to impress anybody, your freedom will begin.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2944 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Quote:
On 2013-05-08 09:02, Dannydoyle wrote:

He does not promote concerts. He promotes bar bands. Tony you need to grow up. I am sick of you guys with the everyone is great and every idea has merit nonsense.

What do you call an event at a local bar when you have more than one person playing? That wouldn't be concert?

If you really want to get that picky, I found this:

"A concert is a live performance (typically of music) before an audience. The performance may be by a single musician, sometimes then called a recital, or by a musical ensemble, such as an orchestra, a choir, or a musical band. Concerts are held in a wide variety and size of settings, from private houses and small nightclubs."

Tom

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20586 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Seems as if you are grasping at straws bere.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Danny, if you took from his original post that he is a big time concert promoter you have lost your normally sound grip on business affairs. Read it again; that is not a recipe to bring U2 to Madison Square Garden. It is a blueprint to have a good evening and make beer money. It is fun, it pays a bit, and I know it works because I have seen it work.

It will not make you rich, but Mormo never claimed it would.

Why waste so much energy shooting down something that is not aimed at you anyway?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20586 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Who is shouting him down?

I am having to defend myself against attacks from you and Tom.

You are the one losing his grip. This was put forth as an idea to be successful. It is no such thing. If you like to work for beer and gas money it puts every idea both you and Tom have in complete perspective.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2944 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Danny who are you to tell others what to work for?
If I wanted to work for free beers, what difference does it make?
Why do you feel everyone needs your approval to share an idea?

Tom

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20586 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
But my opinion seems to constantly require your approval doesn't it Tom? Everything from what is said to how I say it. Why is that?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2944 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
If you only shared your opinion, it would be different. You don't allow others to share a different opinion. You are a bully Danny, you can't stand others disagreeing with you. You put everybody that disagrees down. You also, like mindpro, will carry your bitterness over into other threads. I'm never in my life seen such jealousy.

To everyone: My apologies for all my rambling here. Sorry I got carried away. This will be my last post in this section for awhile. I'm wasting my time and I need a break. Thanks

Tom

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20586 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Really Tom? You can't see that you are the one teying to bully us into your ridiculous everyone is brilliant pkint of view?

Well as for a bullg Tom I never once threatened anyone online like you just did mindpro in another thread. isn't that the definition of a bullg Tom? You seem not to be able to detect irony Tom.

Too bad. I think in your heart you are a good guy. But you having to support every idiotic notion that co.es through here is simply destructive. It doest help anyone to encourage them to be unproductive.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2904 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Where in his post does he claim or even make it try to sound like he's a "big time concert promoter?" He even says "not every show has to be Woodstock." He came across as level-headed and honest with his idea, unlike some of the morons that come on here and claim their ideas will make you a millionaire and have you selling out arenas overnight. Seems like his expectations are what they are and he didn't try to pass them off as anything else. He posted about HIS experience and what the outcome was. He's not even trying to sell you anything.

I think the people freaking out over how terrible this idea supposedly is are blowing the entire thing WAY out of proportion. Chill out already...what's it to you if the guy made 40 bucks and a few beers and wants to share the method? Is he only valid once he can post in the other thread about how exhausted he is after flying from gig to gig with claims like "it sounds far more glamourous than it is"?
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20586 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Well Andrew thank you for illustrating better than I could say it why this place has gone downhill and fast.

If you would read that whole thread people were ASKING ABOUT IT. Yes asking. I don't post things like that because people like you then take it out of context and use it as a way to attack when you can't attack an actual point. Then dimwits claim people like me are a bully.

But you make a fine point. No need for Tom and mormo leave. Nobody cares or listens so I may as well be done. After all mormo made it pretty clear I am better off performing for friends. What could I possibly add to any conversation about things like this? Not much point in helping here in this section any more. It is all figured out. I leave the wizards of smart to it.

Hopefully Benji will start with his new get rich quick scheme.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » One way to get stage shows. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL