The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Seeing is believing » » Escherian Stairwell (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Check out this video, featuring the unusual "Escherian Stairwell" at the Rochester Institute of Technology:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBY4HaAngaA

The sources below give you a few more hints about what's really going on (as if anyone here at the Café hasn't figured it out already):
http://www.rit.edu/news/story.php?id=499......wsletter

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1123......ern-myth

With a little practice, though, it's not too hard to see how you could make people experience this in real life.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Very amusing. My niece and nephew once wanted to see if they could start a new slang word that meant nothing. They picked the word "pots." At every opportunity with friends and in school they would say things like, "Oh, that's so pots!" and "He's going out with you? Oh pots!" and reply to "What's the matter?" with,"Nothing...pots." They claim there are still students years later at their college who use the word they invented.
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
Great. Loved it when she runs vack up to chech hes still there
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
How difficult would it be to build a staircase in movable segments on a rotating set so you can have someone actually make a run upstairs to wind up at the same place, or downstairs? IE each leg of the journey is really either up or down and it's the platforms that move Smile In the case of what's in this video, need the part that's out of sight in the platform shot to serve as elevator. Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Yeah, but unless the footage is edited, he's getting from the top of the stairway to the bottom of the other stairway very quickly. I'm thinking pole slide, but it could be an angle/camera perspective thing that I'm not getting.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
I'd think the easiest way to present this with any similar stairwell would be with the use of several sets of twins, and maybe a set of triplets. They'd have to practice to get their timing, though.
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4451 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
I'd thought split screen at first, then not. What is it we're not seeing? Obviously it's not possible, but...how? The Kickstarter thing reveals nothing as far as I could see.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
T. Durden
View Profile
Loyal user
USA
294 Posts

Profile of T. Durden
At first, I thought it was some type of gigantic periscope effect...

Here are my thoughts now...

First of all, there are two cameras, and there is (simple) video editing involved.

There ARE doubles/twins, but only one or two sets; the "host" and the camera operator. One set above, one set below. This will give the participants (real people) the experience and the honest reactions they see. They run up the stairs, and see (apparently) the same people.

Now, the video - a simple splice between the "bottom" shot and the "top" shot, to see the participants on both staircases.

This is how I would do it anyway.

Wouldn't even really need twins for the cameraman - just identical clothing, since he's holding a camera in front of his face.
Holistic Magic
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of Holistic Magic
I thought that this was interesting until I saw it was a gag, now it is not as interesting.
Simon Layland
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Simon Layland
I was totally sucked in to begin with.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Seeing is believing » » Escherian Stairwell (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL