The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » David Blaine's Vertigo (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
THOR
View Profile
New user
No. California
69 Posts

Profile of THOR
I thought the David Blaine show last night was really good. As mentalists, what is your opinion? Anything knock you out?
Is his performing style good for mentalism?
WR
View Profile
Special user
Utah
945 Posts

Profile of WR
The crushed Beer can was cool!! Any one know where to get the effect?
I do need to say I was disappointed by the Old tricks from previous shows.
Most magically yours,
WR
"Tell Em WR sent Ya."
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4566 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
Quote:
On 2002-05-23 16:01, THOR wrote:

Nothing for mentalism, per se, but definitely plenty for bizarrists.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
Jonathan
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma
1223 Posts

Profile of Jonathan
Yeah, what was the deal with the clips from the first two eps? That was cheap! Not much mentalism or card magic in this one. I am curious about the going through glass and beer can. Those were very nice although not really applicable.

I notice the producer said he was an accomplished magician in his own right and has been working with Blaine for 10 years. That goes against DB's story of his life and how he got into showbusiness etc.

Jonathan Grant
fordkross
View Profile
Loyal user
209 Posts

Profile of fordkross
Blaine seems to be attempting to break new ground. Not exactly a magician, not exactly a psychic. Some illusion, some endurance, some reality. No traditional label. Didn't do to well in ratings, but up against heavy copmpetition. CMA and law and order season finale.
The can idea is Tim Ellis' shown in his lecture. The window ??? Best guess version of penetration frame. But it's not my kinda thing
from
Ford
Ford has a better idea
A l a i n B e ll o n
View Profile
Veteran user
301 Posts

Profile of A l a i n B e ll o n
Yes that is a good assesement by Ford. Blaine is not a magician nor a psychic. He seems to be going towards a "shaman/miracle worker/super human/saint" on valium.

Here is a fragment of something I posted on another forum that is relevant:

Quote:
Blaine's stuff was all constructed to give a specific mystical image, not to kill time. Look at the references to religion. Look at the effects he does and compare them to messianic miracles. Look at his goofing around and compare it to the buddhist concept of enlightenment (a form of insanity).

This clearly is performance art with a mystic-cult or religious-sect flavoring.

He stays on the pole like priests of the middle ages; to bring him closer to god, or so he says. He "creates" beer where there was none left. He breaks a glass of wine. He walks on water. He falls dead and then walks off. He removes fears from a boy. He eats a serpent (Moses anyone?), just to "resurrect" it inside the backpack. Listen to his final words when he addresses the crowd at the end (he didn't use to do that before). I am sure you catch my drift now.

These are all symbolic of his religious/messianic inclinations. He is just playing with alegories and analogies.

And to answer the original question, there was no mentalism in this last show. But mentalism effects can play well with him since he has the ability to make them appear real.

-Alain Bellon
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
When Carson Daly asked David, "Are you a magician, or an illusionist, or...," David stopped him to answer, "I'm neither of those. I'm a performer."

Is that a good answer?

On another thing, why is it that when we see a show like this, the first thing everybody asks is, "Where can I get X?". When DC did "Misled", people flocked to buy it to be like Dave. Now everybody's flocking for the beer thing with DB. What's the deal? Be original, for goodness sakes!
Note: I have PMs turned off; if you want to reach me, please e-mail [email]Andy.MagicCafe@DucksEcho.com[/email]!
Jonathan
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma
1223 Posts

Profile of Jonathan
I think you should try to be the best, maybe not neccesarily original in 100% of the things you do. I know some disagree, but I look not for what I can do that no one else has ever done before, but what can I do that creates the most amount of magic for the people watching.

Jonathan Grant
A l a i n B e ll o n
View Profile
Veteran user
301 Posts

Profile of A l a i n B e ll o n
Andy, it seems it will always be like that.

For every original performer there are a thousand clones.

Unfortunate for them.

Fortunate for us.

-Alain Bellon
Lesault
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Lesault
What was the beer effect? I haven't seen this show yet..
J R Thomas
View Profile
Regular user
Champaign Illinois
138 Posts

Profile of J R Thomas
ok...

so...

he drinks some beer...

makes it reappear....

staggers around...

collapses face down on the pavement...

puts his hand through a window pane...

steals a lady's watch...

breaks a wine glass.....

stands on a pole...

swallows a snake....

pees on himself...

tells stories about his past glories...

and ends up almost passed out in a pile of cardboard.

Sounds like a bachelor party to me.
Those who hear not the music

Think the dancers mad
Jonathan
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma
1223 Posts

Profile of Jonathan
I don't remember him peeing on himself. I did forget about the wine glass breaking. Many mentalists do this so I guess you could say that was a mentalism effect, yes?

Jonathan Grant
WR
View Profile
Special user
Utah
945 Posts

Profile of WR
Check out http://www.magicartoon.com/. It is a David Blaine one. Smile Smile Smile Smile
Most magically yours,
WR
"Tell Em WR sent Ya."
Mikael Eriksson
View Profile
Inner circle
None of your business
1064 Posts

Profile of Mikael Eriksson
I did not see the show, but I´ve seen earlier programs with him. The thing I think was best was when he held a mug of coffe in front of a poor man sitting on the street, and suddenly the coffee diminished and revealed the mug was filled with coins. The poor man´s reaction was priceless! That amount of money probably was much for him.

Now just don´t spoil my nice memory by saying that the poor man was a stooge... Smile

Mikael
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5898 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Actually the two dollars and eighteen cents worth of change was less than the cost of the cup of coffee. Smile

OK So the Soda Ressurrection is the brain child of Anders Moden, who Tim Ellis got permission from. It sounds like Blaine bought the TV rights.

Lineage is important.
Poggy
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of Poggy
>Some illusion, some endurance, some reality. No traditional label.

Apart from Houdini, that is.
RiffClown
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorktown, Virginia (Previously Germany)
1579 Posts

Profile of RiffClown
For those of you in the UK, David Blaine's Vertigo will be aired tomorrow (Sunday 26 May) on Sky One. Smile
Rob "Riff, the Magical Clown" Eubank aka RiffClown
<BR>http://www.riffclown.com
<BR>Magic is not the method, but the presentation.
Mikael Eriksson
View Profile
Inner circle
None of your business
1064 Posts

Profile of Mikael Eriksson
Does anyone know what the name of the trick Blaine did with the coffe and the coins is? I´ve read a description of "Soda Ressurrection", and it´s not the same trick.

Mikael
Marc Spelmann
View Profile
Special user
London U.K.
666 Posts

Profile of Marc Spelmann
I finally got to see the show and thought it was good entertaining fun the only problem with Davids work is that it is TV magic, sure it is possible to restore a can and seal it but not spur of the moment as insinuated.. nor is it possible to penetrate a glass window.. I understand where David is coming from in terms of breaking new ground but I feel when is it a little to far.. I teach magic in the U.K. to a select few would be pro's and genuine enthusiasts and have worked on television and I have to be honest in saying that it is incredibly easy to appear amazing when you can manipulate EVERYTHING around you let alone a deck of cards.. you can even manipulate time in regards to the stratigic edit and cut.. But on the whole it was a good programme and I enjoy Davids work.. Worth checking out if a magician / mentalist or bizarrist....

Just my opinion....

M.S.
It's not goodbye, just see you later...
Cornelius
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
213 Posts

Profile of Cornelius
Quote:
On 2002-05-23 16:01, THOR wrote:
I thought the David Blaine show last night was really good. As mentalists, what is your opinion? Anything knock you out?

Well, I read at http://www.wonderwizards.com that David Blaine uses techniques marketed by Kenton Knepper. That said, I don't think he is a good mentalist. Yet he is a good all round performer.

Signed,
Cornelius. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » David Blaine's Vertigo (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL