We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Fun with coins (video download) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Digital Backlot
View Profile
Regular user
So. Cali
115 Posts

Profile of Digital Backlot
http://digitalbacklot.com/GalleryImages/magic.htm

I was just having fun tonight with ways of doing a coin move trick without cards and without sliding anything around.

Also a small side note, no raven, nothing between my fingers, no odd coins, gimmicks, no magnets, no wax, no tape, no over the counter sticky device, no camera tricks, and no palming. Just regular coins me, and my hands.. and though my hands go out of frame at times, I'm not doing anything funny outside the frame. (I'll reshoot when I have time so that is all cleared up)

I even managed to do a "one handed" displacment of sorts. I'm -very new- at magic (3 months), so any comments would be helpful. It's 5 meg mpeg and tell me how I could improve on this display. I'm still working out a seemless routine, but until I know the order of things, you'll have to see it in pieces..

enjoy! Smile
Joel Payne
CEO 3D Filmmakers
www.DigitalBacklot.com
djvirtualreality
View Profile
Inner circle
MayfieldNew York
1347 Posts

Profile of djvirtualreality
So basically you are saying, this is impromptu?! I think I've figured out what happens when you turn your hand over, but that's about it. I thought it was tape, but then I read your post......wow.
Life is an illusion, death is reality.
Digital Backlot
View Profile
Regular user
So. Cali
115 Posts

Yes I can do it anywhere with anyone's coin , anytime Smile

Glad you liked it. the hand turn it a basic move of course but the rest is really fun stuff.

I've had a love of magic since I could talk,and for years have watched magicians on TV and could always figure out how they did the tricks, I make video games for a living so I guess I have a mind for thinking outside the box so to speak.

I just got back into doing magic about three months ago and saw a video called matrix reminted, I reverse engeneered it and then tried to figure out how I could improve. I think this works good but it could work much better with another day or two of practice. The night I thought it up is the night I did the video, so not much in terms of practice time.

If you watch the video, I want feedback please, thanks!
Joel Payne
CEO 3D Filmmakers
www.DigitalBacklot.com
Full Effect
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
257 Posts

Profile of Full Effect
Its nothing new (it has been done before) My friend and myself have played with that concept before.

Keep at it and Explore more and you should be fine

side note about the video... having your hands sweeping out of frame... doesn't really look that great, sorta unnatural, fishy (even tho you say your not doing anything outside the frame) Eliminate unnesscary moves.
Spend more time with it so you can structure something that flows into a full routine.
"Running water never becomes stale, so keep flowing" - Immortal Dragon Bruce Lee
Digital Backlot
View Profile
Regular user
So. Cali
115 Posts

What has been done before? PM me with what you think I'm doing.

Still working out a full routine with a better camera setup..

http://digitalbacklot.com/GalleryImages/UltimateCoinFun.mpg
Joel Payne
CEO 3D Filmmakers
www.DigitalBacklot.com
Full Effect
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
257 Posts

Profile of Full Effect
Quote:
On 2003-11-27 21:10, Digital Backlot wrote:
What has been done before? PM me with what you think I'm doing. from what I gather some of the 1000 + posters havn't yet PM'd me with a correct method. so I'm curious how you believe I'm doing it.

Thanks for the comments

1000+ PMS? I really doubt that...
you wouldnt be able to read and reply to all of them in the sort time since you posted your video

anyways you're not doing the same thing in the second video as you were in the first

Quote:
Yes I can do it anywhere with anyone's coin , anytime

what you did in the first video you can do impromptu but in the second video you cant.
"Running water never becomes stale, so keep flowing" - Immortal Dragon Bruce Lee
Bernard Sim
View Profile
Inner circle
Singapore
1095 Posts

Profile of Bernard Sim
In your second video I guessed you used a ..., ah never mind, in case I get toyed again Smile
Bernard Sim
Digital Backlot
View Profile
Regular user
So. Cali
115 Posts

Let me clarify about the 1000+ confusion... the people that PM'd me are people that had more then a 1000 posts. Meaning they're regulars..

and yes it's the same trick... looks liek I'll have to make yet another video.. Once I get the whole routine in order, I'll show it.

Right now, I'm doing this in my bathroom floor (hense the bath matt) and in the second video (same trick) I just added a black cardboard thing so the coins would show up better and not get stick in the think carpet....
Joel Payne
CEO 3D Filmmakers
www.DigitalBacklot.com
Jonathan R
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of Jonathan R
WOW! This guy can make coins stick to his hands and make them drop off whenever he wants...

Seriously, I didn't understand what was going on?!?!?!? Smile
Bradley Morgan
View Profile
Special user
701 Posts

Profile of Bradley Morgan
Ditto???

Sorry dude it mite be a new thing, but it looks just like you stick it to your hands. Even if that is not what you are doing, it does not look natural. Try the move in some kind of a chink a chink, that mite help.

Best Brad
"I do not know with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones." - Einstein
Digital Backlot
View Profile
Regular user
So. Cali
115 Posts

Thanks bradley,

good observation
Joel Payne
CEO 3D Filmmakers
www.DigitalBacklot.com
Jason Wethington
View Profile
Special user
Orlando, Fl
615 Posts

Profile of Jason Wethington
Definately not new, I think it was Bertram who first published the idea. I agree about making the hand a bit more natural. Some of the effects(?) were unclear as to what was happening. Were the coins vanishing because of your shadow? Were they reappearing because of the same? I like the way you are thinking about chink-a-chink. Keep it up.
Jason
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
Digital Backlot

The important thing is NOT whether or not you are doing the same move in both videos OR whether or not you are doing the "XYZ" move or a truly new move.

IMHO, what is important is that the move being done must look natural and logical TO THE AUDIENCE. They may not know what you did, but if they "know" you did "something", the effect suffers.

I'll send you a PM with more difinitive observations.

Mike

P.S. And keep up the good work; after only 3 months of coin work, it takes a combination of a lot of guts, enthusiasm and naivete to put a video up on the Café for all to see and to ask for criticism.
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
Hey, for what it's worth, I dig it. It's a little choppy, but on the whole I think that it's a strong move forward. Good work!
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
Digital Backlot
View Profile
Regular user
So. Cali
115 Posts

Firedice27

Thanks, I'm new at magic, so these are words of encouragement to me, Thanks!
Joel Payne
CEO 3D Filmmakers
www.DigitalBacklot.com
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8696 Posts

Profile of harris
After playing with a camcorder this week end, I just appreciate someone able to get a clear shot.

I hope to borrow it again and in the future learn how to post it. I did not save any of my stuff.

I guess I am sort of a perfectionist when it comes to something that will be around awhile.

What is old goes round to seem like new.(whatever that means)

Actually after watching my hands on video, it taught me a lot of stuff.

Keep at it and stay new. I try to after 27 years or so playing with coins. Your one handed approach reminded me of seeing Shoot in KC doing his one handed matrix.

Keep it up and people will remind me of YOU someday.

Enjoy the process and have a safe and nearly normal HOYC. Holiday of your choice.

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Digital Backlot
View Profile
Regular user
So. Cali
115 Posts

I'm positive that everythig has been done is some way or another. it's like music... the chords have all be done before... it's just how it's presented. It's really just a learning thing for me. I'm working a the card snap change now. Maybe after learning a couple of different way, I'll add my own little twist to it.
Joel Payne
CEO 3D Filmmakers
www.DigitalBacklot.com
jb1677
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of jb1677
The video's are very interesting and if you are doing them without any of the things you mentioned in your first post than I am very impressed!!!!!!

Some of the movement in the video where you pressed hard on the coins did not look very natural but that could just be the angle of the video.

Good work!

Jason
Digital Backlot
View Profile
Regular user
So. Cali
115 Posts

Thanks Jason, Yes you're right the pressing down is not what I wanted to do, and the video has help me notice that error.
Joel Payne
CEO 3D Filmmakers
www.DigitalBacklot.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Fun with coins (video download) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL