The Magic Cafť
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Tricky business Ľ Ľ Pro's & con's of advertising your price (13 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20724 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
You still canít get away from the absolute fact that you donít perform for money.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2321 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
I think the internet and the advent of web sites have changed everything.

These days 80% of my prospects are completely sold before they even contact me. Whether the contact is by phone, email, Facebook messaging, or texting, they contact me and say I want to book!

It because theyíve already been to my web site.

They have already read my carefully crafted sales pitch, the sales pitch that never changes, never forgets to point out important selling points, never stutters, and never has a bad day. The sales pitch is also never interrupted by children or barking dogs.

They already know what I offer, read the many testimonials, know my guarantee, know my prices, and know if Iím available. Many of them will fill out my on-line booking form, and then the only thing left to do is send them a confirmation letter. In 5-minutes the booking process is done!

I am so spoiled by this that I sometimes feel like telling the 20% of people that still call, ďJust go to my web site and call me back!Ē Or course, I donít do that.

The topic of this thread is ĎProís and Conís of advertising your price.í I believe Iíve been advertising my price for over 12 years and I see very few disadvantages, and cannot see a day when I would think about changing it.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2861 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
YES, the internet has certainly changed how salespeople, such as magicians, can do business. It solves the two major objections that ďIĒ have been pointing out this whole time. It lays the price thing to rest from the get-go. No more worrying about that.

And most importantly it solves the problem of having to listen to a rude salesperson yapping away. (Again, most people hate'em)

Lesson: People donít like being sold they simply like to buy. And will when you give them the opportunity.

Of course, the con men, calling themselves magicians, (like you know who) will still try and put off the price to the end in order to squeeze more out of the customer. That makes it hard on everybody


Tom

PS, Danny, unlike you, I speak from having a lot of past experience with kid shows. So please stop all your rude a** comments. It serves no purpose here. It's all uncalled for.
Today I bent the truth to be kind, and I have no regret, for I am far surer of what is kind than I am of what is true.--Robert Brault

Tom Boleware
https://www.youtube.com/TomsBackyardChats
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20724 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Tom you are the only one who seems to employ rude salespeople it is one apparently. Stop making your shortcomings universal to everyone.

Also all your entertainment sales experience is prior to the Internet.

Ken the idea of web pages done right has always been what you described. This is what Iím talking about with them knowing what they are buying prior to calling. Funny how when you say it Tom address wholeheartedly but just has to argue with me isnít it?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10258 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Oct 20, 2021, Ken Northridge wrote:
I think the internet and the advent of web sites have changed everything.

These days 80% of my prospects are completely sold before they even contact me. Whether the contact is by phone, email, Facebook messaging, or texting, they contact me and say I want to book!

It because theyíve already been to my web site.

They have already read my carefully crafted sales pitch, the sales pitch that never changes, never forgets to point out important selling points, never stutters, and never has a bad day. The sales pitch is also never interrupted by children or barking dogs.

They already know what I offer, read the many testimonials, know my guarantee, know my prices, and know if Iím available. Many of them will fill out my on-line booking form, and then the only thing left to do is send them a confirmation letter. In 5-minutes the booking process is done!

I am so spoiled by this that I sometimes feel like telling the 20% of people that still call, ďJust go to my web site and call me back!Ē Or course, I donít do that.

The topic of this thread is ĎProís and Conís of advertising your price.í I believe Iíve been advertising my price for over 12 years and I see very few disadvantages, and cannot see a day when I would think about changing it.


Ken, a couple of questions if you don't mind. Where are you in terms of pricing within your market? High, low, or middle of market? And secondly, how much competition do you consider your business having within your market? Thanks!
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2321 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
Quote:
On Oct 20, 2021, Mindpro wrote:

Ken, a couple of questions if you don't mind. Where are you in terms of pricing within your market? High, low, or middle of market? And secondly, how much competition do you consider your business having within your market? Thanks!


As far as where I am in terms of pricing, I'm honestly not sure. I have not done that research in many years. My best guess is in the middle to a little above the middle. Maybe someone can tell me: www.kennorthridge.com/pricing.htm

I believe I have a good amount of competition. There are some outstanding children's entertainers in my area. Of that 20% that is not completely sold when they call or email me, only about half will book. Which means they probably found a better price or a better entertainer. And of course with my pricing being on my web site I have no idea how many people don't book when they see my prices. Perhaps that is one of the few disadvantages of posting prices. But, excluding the covid period, I've had just about as much work as I want and can handle for many years. So, I'm not really concerned about that.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10258 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
This is great that you have taken the time and made the commitment to create all of the components to work together to create a model that you are comformable with that works for you to get the results you are happy with.

It sounds like you don't worry much about your competition or the 20% you mentioned. It's also great to see you seem to have rebounded after considering moving in a different direction as you mentioned last year during the pandemic. I agree as it seems your prices are right where you believe they are.
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1249 Posts

Profile of danfreed
I have the same situation and experience as Ken I suppose, meaning most people are already sold before they contact me for the reasons he mentioned. I don't have my schedule online though, that probably wouldn't work out for what I do, but maybe I'll try it at some point. My rates are maybe a little higher than average, like Ken I haven't checked in while, and don't really care. I have my reasons for charging what I do and don't want to get into that now, but I'm sure I could raise my rates and probably will, I'm just happy in my current situation. I add on caricatures for a lot of people, and also do gigs that are just caricatures or just strolling close-up magic. It does help to have a website with really good photos, demo video, testimonials, all 5 star reviews, etc. It also helps to be unique - my show is a combo of magic and ventrioquism, gags, etc, or sometimes just magic for the older kids. As far as whether my competition is better than me or not, I don't know, but I know that my website and other online stuff sells me a lot better than some people - some people don't have good photos or don't have a demo video, so when clients compare us, I'm the go-to guy around here as best I can tell.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20724 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Strange how you guys agree with Mindoro and I and Tom doesnít attack you.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2861 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Quote:
On Oct 20, 2021, Dannydoyle wrote:
Strange how you guys agree with Mindoro and I and Tom doesnít attack you.


Danny, look back and see how many times they attacked and belittled me like you have constantly done and you will have your answer. Theyíre all friends and friends donít mistreat friends in public. Danny, itís sad you canít see that you are nothing but a bully. Probably makes you feel good, doesn't it? Itís simple Danny, I donít put up with bullies, stop being one and we could be friends.

Tom
Today I bent the truth to be kind, and I have no regret, for I am far surer of what is kind than I am of what is true.--Robert Brault

Tom Boleware
https://www.youtube.com/TomsBackyardChats
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20724 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
No we couldnít.

Nobody is a bully.

Do you just admit arguing with me just do so so and Iím the bully.

Simply showing you why youíre wrong and telling the truth is now being a bully.

HILARIOUS..
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10258 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Oct 22, 2021, Ken Northridge wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 20, 2021, Mindpro wrote:
This is great that you have taken the time and made the commitment to create all of the components to work together to create a model that you are comformable with that works for you to get the results you are happy with.

It sounds like you don't worry much about your competition or the 20% you mentioned. It's also great to see you seem to have rebounded after considering moving in a different direction as you mentioned last year during the pandemic. I agree as it seems your prices are right where you believe they are.


I appreciate this response because I know its probably not what you would advocate. But you're wise enough to see that this business model works for me. I think that is the overriding theme of this thread is that different methods work for different people.


I would advocate whatever is best for the performer/business owner based on all the facts and the completion of our foundational level determinations and preferences by the performer/business owner. I have many that I have coached, mentored, or consulted with that this would be the exact model I would suggest myself. I think there is a misconception that everyone I work with or that I believe all performers should be running a multi-faceted million dollar+ business. That is not always best for everyone and certainly not one size fits all.

What I am a strong proponent of is running your performing as a business, knowing the differences and uniqueness of entertainment business (vs. conventional business) and operating from an industry perspective - even for the small guy, one-person operation or person such as yourself and wife that the streamlined model is best suited.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20724 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
People determine value prior to hearing price all the time! It as a matter of fact is what brand management is all about. Establishing value. It is amazing how far you will go just to argue with me.

In almost all cases this is how things get done.

When you purchase something without knowing value you are an uneducated consumer and this is the worst thing you can be. From each point of view it is really just silly to think of. As a consumer when you buy and donít know value you have no clue what you are actually buying. Why would you want to be that guy? It boggles the mind.

And why would you argue TO BE that guy so vehemently?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2861 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Quote:
On Oct 22, 2021, Dannydoyle wrote:

When you purchase something without knowing value you are an uneducated consumer and this is the worst thing you can be.


No the worse thing you could do would be to purchase something without knowing the price. That would be stupid.Smile


Tom
Today I bent the truth to be kind, and I have no regret, for I am far surer of what is kind than I am of what is true.--Robert Brault

Tom Boleware
https://www.youtube.com/TomsBackyardChats
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20724 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Oct 22, 2021, TomBoleware wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 22, 2021, Dannydoyle wrote:

When you purchase something without knowing value you are an uneducated consumer and this is the worst thing you can be.


No the worse thing you could do would be to purchase something without knowing the price. That would be stupid.Smile


Tom

Who BUT YOU has even suggested buying something without knowing the price? But just keep looking silly because of your unbelievable need to just argue with me.

And by the way I I know you donít work, and even when you might have it was low end 50 years ago, but MANY high end products are sold with the theory that ďif you have to ask the price, you canít afford it.Ē Happens a lot Tom. I guess J P Morgan was stupid in your view huh?

Please stop Tom. You just look worse and worse and more out of touch with every post. Nobody has even suggested not giving a price at all. As usual you created a straw man to argue with me, then you want to pretend Iíve said that. YOU and only you have said donít tell price Tom. You have created a ridiculous amount of posts just to argue with me and it just is not good. My lord please stop. We get your position. We get that it is about arguing with me. Just let it go.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20724 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Oct 22, 2021, Trancemaker wrote:
I think it may be good psychology to hype up the value so much that the prospect starts to worry a little about how much this wondrous product or service is going to cost then when the price is finally revealed he or she finds it is nowhere near as bad as they thought! The price can actually be made into a selling point rather than an objection if handled correctly.


You are talking about showing features and benefits. As a matter of fact they leaned heavily on it is sales training. https://www.avnetwork.com/blogs/the-lost......-selling Go through that link. I am sure Tom knows more than everyone involved in the Xerox course and subsequent literature but they agree with me.

Go ahead Tom explain why this is wrong. Or just stop.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2861 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Danny, I wasn't talking about you. But Yes there are some high-priced products and rich people that donít worry about the price. You are correct.

Also Danny, Parents never worry about paying for the magician. The topic here is not, was not, will never be,
about kidshows. Danny, you are right and you have been right the whole time. No, I donít even know what a
magic show is. You are COMPLETELY RIGHT.

Tom
Today I bent the truth to be kind, and I have no regret, for I am far surer of what is kind than I am of what is true.--Robert Brault

Tom Boleware
https://www.youtube.com/TomsBackyardChats
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10258 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Oct 23, 2021, TomBoleware wrote:
Parents never worry about paying for the magician. The topic here is not, was not, will never be,
about kidshows. Danny, you are right and you have been right the whole time. No, I donít even know what a
magic show is. You are COMPLETELY RIGHT.

Tom


FINALLY!

Btw, the topic was about kid's shows. Kid's shows today, since the internet, websites, and tech. Many posts in TB are about kid's shows/performers. This might be an entirely different discussion if it was about corporate shows, trade shows, cruises, fairs, fests, etc.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2861 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Quote:
On Oct 23, 2021, Mindpro wrote:


Btw, the topic was about kid's shows. Kid's shows today, since the internet, websites, and tech. Many posts in TB are about kid's shows/performers. This might be an entirely different discussion if it was about corporate shows, trade shows, cruises, fairs, fests, etc.


FINALLY! Somebody tells Danny (besides me) what this topic is about. Thank You Mindpro.

Tom
Today I bent the truth to be kind, and I have no regret, for I am far surer of what is kind than I am of what is true.--Robert Brault

Tom Boleware
https://www.youtube.com/TomsBackyardChats
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20724 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Tom you are still wrong . Parents are not different than anyone else.

Please stop.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Tricky business Ľ Ľ Pro's & con's of advertising your price (13 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.29 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL