The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Pro's & con's of advertising your price (13 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
Brainbu$ter
View Profile
Veteran user
Indianapolis, IN
325 Posts

Profile of Brainbu$ter
Quote:
On May 4, 2013, Paddy wrote:
...Either way your dead before you can show your benefit to the person. I close with the price and tell the people the "I admit there are less costly people out there, but remember that there is a reason I have 15 years full time experience and they don't. Also in my 15 years I have never had to return a fee to an unhappy client."

And yes I am higher priced, once a year I shop the others in my area and charge $25 more than they do. Funny, within a month they're at my price.

Helpful post.
But if you shop others in your area once a year, how do you know that within a month they're at your new price?
The most engaging virtual magic show by the stupendous zoom magician and mentalist Jon Finch.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20724 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Many people want to know if you are in the price range before wasting time calling. This probably is true of many moms.

Also the idea of being mqrketed to later I find disturbing. That alone would put me off. And yes people know you are doing it.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Brainbu$ter
View Profile
Veteran user
Indianapolis, IN
325 Posts

Profile of Brainbu$ter
Quote:
On May 4, 2013, Mindpro wrote:

I do not care what anyone says, you will never convince me of otherwise, people want to deal with a live, warm human person. And that person is much better qualified to sell my services.

I almost stopped reading just because you said, "I don't care what anyone says, you will never convince me otherwise..."
because I hate that mentality. But apparently that was just hyperbole because you later adjusted a little.
Also your post was FILLED with useful information.

But most of my shows are 2 or 3 hours drive away.
I can't comprehend driving 3 hours just for the chance to sell my show and LIKELY book it.
Only to drive back another 3 hours, then drive 3 hours there again to perform.

I'm selling shows now without such an investment on my part (though to be fair, maybe I'd sell way more shows if I started doing that).
I do agree with you though that nothing can come close to magic being done in person (or maybe you were just referring to sales being done in person).
The most engaging virtual magic show by the stupendous zoom magician and mentalist Jon Finch.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20724 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I think he is talking about phone contact more than driving to a mom's house.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10258 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Dec 30, 2015, Brainbu$ter wrote:
Quote:
On May 4, 2013, Mindpro wrote:

I do not care what anyone says, you will never convince me of otherwise, people want to deal with a live, warm human person. And that person is much better qualified to sell my services.

But most of my shows are 2 or 3 hours drive away.
I can't comprehend driving 3 hours just for the chance to sell my show and LIKELY book it.
Only to drive back another 3 hours, then drive 3 hours there again to perform.

I never said in person physically as in going to meet them. I was referring to speaking to them live and in person by phone (what I meant by warm person). Now with that said, my Midwest office had a showroom since 1983. For specific markets we offered a specialized consultation in our showroom (they came to us) and it lead to our highest conversion rate ever. So physically meeting in person can be quite beneficial (if done properly in the right context and atmosphere), but this is only strong if you serve locally as your primary market. In my personal primary market which I've worked nationwide, I have never in 40 years met with a single person for the booking. I'm usually meeting them when I arrive for setup. However they have spoken to our office and booking representtaive and developed a personal relationship by phone and later emails, so by the time we meet they feel they know me and we are part of their family.
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2321 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
Quote:
On Dec 30, 2015, Brainbu$ter wrote:
Some good reasons that restrict us from stating the price are:

1. The distance of the event (am I driving 3 hours?)
2. How many guests will there be?
3. Age of the guests
4. Stage show or close-up
5. Live animals or no animals
6. Mindreading included or just magic (this is something I've been using...not sure whether it's very good)
7. Length of performance
8. Sound system provided or not
9. Give-aways at the end or not
10. Games included or not
11. Standard generic show or customized for your company
12. How much money you got? (Can't really say this to the prospect, but frankly, I look at whether it's a corporate gig and what region it's in to try to estimate how high I can go)

There are probably more.

I don’t know, maybe its just me but, I believe the above list would be confusing to a prospective client.

I prefer to portray this attitude:

1. My show is my show, this is my price, and I guarantee you will be thrilled!
2. I have few extra things for you to consider if you would like.

Other than travel distance and a few optional add-ons, both of which can be easily explained on my web site, I have one show and one price. Book it now before someone else does!
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20724 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I have never been a fan of justifying price. It is confusing I agree, but I don't negotiate and I don't do kids shows or generally one night gigs.

So my mileage is probably drastically different from others.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Brainbu$ter
View Profile
Veteran user
Indianapolis, IN
325 Posts

Profile of Brainbu$ter
Quote:
On Dec 30, 2015, Dannydoyle wrote:
I think he is talking about phone contact more than driving to a mom's house.

I hope I won't be driving to a mom's house...My logo (and avatar here), ad copy, and promo videos
should all screen for that.
MichaelDouglas
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
766 Posts

Profile of MichaelDouglas
I appreciate that conversation. I've wrestled with this issue for years. I don't publish my rates on my site. That drives them to contact me by phone or via my site's contact page...sometimes by email as I list that on my site also. I always ask for their email address to send them something from me in writing after the phone call. My autoresponder sends them my silver, gold, platinum show options and prices. I always follow up the lead with a phone call if it started from the web form. In essence, every lead will have spoke with me and have received email.

Sometimes they are comparison shopping so once they talk to any other's they are considering then they have something from me in writing that they can share with their spouse and then make a decision.

Yes, I try to close the deal on the phone. Even so, I'm not pushy. My auto responder does follow up with them after 2 days if they've not notified me of a decision. If still no response, it follows-up again at 7 days. (I use showbizcrm.com ) If no response still, it follow-up again in 10 months for next years birthday party.

I don't publish the prices because it is important to me to be able to do this repeated follow-up. The result is that I do book shows from the follow emails that get sent out. Sometimes they say that they got busy and they appreciate the gentle follow-up reminder. Sometimes I loose the gig to them doing LaserTag or something else instead. However, the following year my autoresonder successfully books the gig. So capturing the email is important to me.

The evil side of not posting my fees is that I get overwhelmed sometimes with people contacting me via, email, social media, phone calls, etc. I still work f/t also and I just can't respond to every voice mail as fast as I'd like. I do use google voice and the outgoing message does refer them to the contact page for fastest response.

I'd like to cut down on the phone calls at times but I'd loose out on a lot of emails if I posted the fees.

Alas, I have no solution to this dilemma.
Marcus1
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of Marcus1
Great discussion guys I am looking at launching a website this year as I want to start to try and get a few gigs Smile
My first instinct was to put prices up on the site so everything is fair but this thread is making me think that might be the wrong idea. I have always been quite good on the phone so I would rather people could call me and then I could sell them on the benefits of magic before I then give them the price.
Food for thought
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10258 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Can't beat live selling. Good luck as your proceed.
Marcus1
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of Marcus1
Thanks a lot Mindpro
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22981 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Posting your prices could backfire on you, and it only takes one time.

Say, you even have a kids party website with prices. So XYZ company is looking for a kids entertainer, they book the show through your website. You then find, that you have to fly to California, you are in New York say. You get there, on your dime, and find that you will be on stage with an audience of 2000 kids.

Well you did say you do kids parties for $450. So you are stuck, aren't you. You can't go back on your advertised solid fixed pricing. I guess you could put a conditions page up, but it would take a lawyer to find all the loop hole language needed to get out of the deal.

This could be just one reason why you have to actually talk to the potential client.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7465 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On Jan 6, 2016, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Posting your prices could backfire on you, and it only takes one time.

Say, you even have a kids party website with prices. So XYZ company is looking for a kids entertainer, they book the show through your website. You then find, that you have to fly to California, you are in New York say. You get there, on your dime, and find that you will be on stage with an audience of 2000 kids.

Well you did say you do kids parties for $450. So you are stuck, aren't you. You can't go back on your advertised solid fixed pricing. I guess you could put a conditions page up, but it would take a lawyer to find all the loop hole language needed to get out of the deal.

This could be just one reason why you have to actually talk to the potential client.

Baloney.

I have my children's birthday show rates online, and I state what area that they are good for.

I don't have people out of my area expecting to pay the same price as local customers do. And I don't have schools / larger event customers expecting to get my birthday show packages or those prices.

This past December, one of my Christmas Show customers paid $850 for their package, but they didn't ask me why I couldn't do it for the same price as my $200 Birthday Show (one of the options on my website). The situation was different, the show offering was different, the location was different, and the prices were different.

I've had my birthday show rates online for years, and dealt with hundreds of birthday show customers in that time, and hundreds of other types of customers in that time (and thousands of customers in the years before that).

Like I said earlier on the thread, I've tested it both ways, and I have chosen what works best for me and my business.

- Donald

P.S. Although I don't have my school show rates posted online (but I do include them in my mailings), I know of some performers that do. Doug Scheer, a very busy school show performer, talked about it in this podcast interview. http://www.magicianbusiness.com/educational-magic/

So, putting your rates online isn't just for birthday party performers.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10258 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Jan 6, 2016, Donald Dunphy wrote:

Baloney.

Lol. Now there's a response.
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2321 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
Travel distance is clear justification for a higher price, and can easily be explained on a web site. I also have different prices on my web site for birthday parties, and what I call, the Family Magic Show. The Family Magic Show is for a larger audience which requires a larger sound system, larger props, etc. Its justified.

What is not so easy to explain is….

“Well, the customer that got the lower price, because of my negotiating training, I could tell they wouldn’t go for the higher price. You sounded professional so I thought I could soak you!”

This is a technique that was taught by Michael Ammar on his audio, “Negotiating Higher Fees.” It is a well thought out and laid out plan about how to listen for clues from the customer while deciding what price to charge them and how to get the most out of them.

It is true, there are disadvantages to posting prices on line. One of them is you can’t play games with your pricing. I don’t like to play games with my clients.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
Tukaram
View Profile
Regular user
Iloilo, Philippines
200 Posts

Profile of Tukaram
Look at it from a customers point of view. When I am shopping online I appreciate pricing posted. Most of the time I see "call for pricing"... I am not going to call.
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1739 Posts

Profile of jakeg
Quote:
On Jan 17, 2016, Tukaram wrote:
Look at it from a customers point of view. When I am shopping online I appreciate pricing posted. Most of the time I see "call for pricing"... I am not going to call.

Well put, Tukaram said. When I'm shopping, and I see no prices, I'm gone. Before I talk to a sales person, I want got know that the product or service is within my budget.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10258 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Right, and by putting prices on for the reason you're stating makes entertainment just another product, of which a purchase is based on price. It shouldn't be which is exactly the argument for not doing it.
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1739 Posts

Profile of jakeg
Quote:
On Jan 17, 2016, Mindpro wrote:
Right, and by putting prices on for the reason you're stating makes entertainment just another product, of which a purchase is based on price. It shouldn't be which is exactly the argument for not doing it.

When the entertainer is totally unknown to the buyer, either personally or by reputation, and the buyer is shopping on line, basing their decision to call on your website, you are, 'just another product.'
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Pro's & con's of advertising your price (13 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL