The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The words we use » » Confusing Crayons Patter (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mattg
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of mattg
Anyone have a good routine for this? Care to share? Thanks a lot.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Confusing Crayons is one of those tricks, like the so-called "classics" the linking rings, that doesn't so much end as stop!

In other words, there's no logical ending for the trick.

While I don't have Confusing Crayons, I did have Tricky Bottles, which is exactly the same working.

For a "logical" ending, and to take the "sting" out of it (remember, this is basically a "sting" trick), I had the bottom taken off one bottle and a packet of spring flowers inserted (that bottle, in the tube with the gimmick, became mine, while the ungimmicked one went to the spectator).
After having them turned end for end and not match several times, I suggest we make it as simple as possible. (Both items are pointing up in the "correct" position.) We both turn over our tubes once and turn them back.
I ask the spectator to remove her tube, as I remove mine.
When I pull mine off, I grasp the bottle inside with one hand; with the hand on which the tube and bottle are sitting, I grasp the strings from the spring flowers.
The spectator removes her tube showing the crayon/bottle in the correct position.
I remove my tube and end up with a handful of flowers!
"Well, one of us needs more practice with this and I'm sure it isn't you!"
This deflects the "sting" from the spectator to you (as it should be) and everyone is left happy.
As I hope you are, after reading this!
cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
This would be a great routine for a cassette tape instructional trick of the month club like the Vanishing Bandana.

The assistant gets it right but the magician keeps getting it wrong.
Dennis Michael
nalu_magic
View Profile
Loyal user
Paradise
296 Posts

Profile of nalu_magic
Hi Matt,

I too have recently got these props and am working on a routine to fit my personality. I've gotten some great ideas from these threads here at the Café:

Confusing Crayons:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=17
http://www.themagiccafe.com/archive1/vie......forum=17

In the latter thread, the Café's own Scott Guinn refers to an article that he wrote in his Pro-Files column for Visions. Although he uses the effect Topsy Turvey Bottles, it can also be applied to Confusing Crayons. He mentions some very nice ideas that I will definitely be using. Here's a link to that article:

http://www.online-visions.com/pro-files/0209.html

I believe his exact routine and patter for this effect can be found in his book Magishing My Way - another great resource.

Good luck!
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I have often done my patter for this as trip I took while on vacation. I went to the Crayola Crayon Factory and wanted a souvenir. Of course I could noit settle for just the dinky small crayons.. I had to go home with the biggets crayons they made. The vrayons are so big we just called them "bubba".

Then I go on to tell them how the crayons were so big that I needed a way to carry them home with me so as to not damage the point. This is when you bring a child up to be the crayon expert. Dress them up in a jacket with a big button that says "Expert Crayon Master". His job is to show you how to package the crayon up the right way. Of course he always gets it right and you keep getting it wrong.

In the end you solve the problem by simply carrying both red and yellow crayons in the same case.

It is a funny routine that leaves a lot of room for adlibs and comical bits of business. Let me know your thoughts on this.
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
mattg
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of mattg
Ya, I was thinking the smaller crayon or the color changing crayon ending would be good.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Yes, the smaller size crayon is a great ending and you can work that well into your patter or story.
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Hi,
Generally speaking finnishing with something that shrinks is a weaker climax than something that gets bigger.

Perhaps a better ending would be to have it change to lots of smaller crayons?
or have it change to something completely different like a silk fountain (maybe the different colors of the silks can be your key to tie in the patter).

Anyway, if you look at the bottom (non pointed end) of your crayon you will find that the coloured end bit that blocks the tube can be removed, cut a bit of wood or plexi card slightly smaller than the diameter of this stopper and stick it to the inside of the stopper.

Drill two small holes near the edge but opposite each other and put a length of strong fishing line though the holes to form a loop and tie it off.

Now lay out your silks for your fountain and pin/sew the centers together, pin the fountain to the loop of gut on the side that will go into the crayon. Form the fountain push it into the crayon and put on the stopper, you now have a crayon that looks normal but when you reach your climax you can put your finger through the loop of fishing line on the bottom/outside of the crayon and pull downwards releasing the fountain (the opening silks cover the stopper).

I do this as a kind of transformaton with the crayon covered with the tube you can also put loads of other stuff in there too.

Phillip Smile
LafayetteJon
View Profile
New user
Lafayette, LA
14 Posts

Profile of LafayetteJon
My past few shows with this item have not been so succcesful. Before it was never a great success but hit or miss, lately however it's been all miss.

I know I am doing something wrong, really wrong. I am the magician who can't seem to get things right for my presentation and I let the kid show me what they are doing and in the end I let them teach me how to do it properly.

Usually this was leaving them with a feeling of "teaching" me something which I thought was a good thing, but with the last two shows I heard where the assisstant with this trick thought that they were doing something wrong.

Anyway I have officially removed this trick from my show until I can figure out what I am doing so terribly wrong.

I am enjoying reading your ideas so far on this trick and just wanted to say thanks.
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
Maybe this is not the time. Sometimes I retire a trick, especially one in which I feel a little leary about. Later when I am doing something completely different, I get an idea about how to fix it. Meanwhile, replace it with a trick that you enjoy doing, is strong magic and gets a good response.

Don't be like the guy in the old west town who was always losing at roulette. He was informed the wheel was crooked but he responded by saying, "Yes, but it's the only wheel in town."
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24204 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2003-11-30 11:02, LafayetteJon wrote:
My past few shows with this item have not been so succcesful. Before it was never a great success but hit or miss, lately however it's been all miss.

I know I am doing something wrong, really wrong. I am the magician who can't seem to get things right for my presentation and I let the kid show me what they are doing and in the end I let them teach me how to do it properly.

Usually this was leaving them with a feeling of "teaching" me something which I thought was a good thing, but with the last two shows I heard where the assisstant with this trick thought that they were doing something wrong.

Anyway I have officially removed this trick from my show until I can figure out what I am doing so terribly wrong.

I am enjoying reading your ideas so far on this trick and just wanted to say thanks.

I think the fault may be in the premise. After all, why should they hire you to do a show, if the kids are going to teach you how to do magic? Shouldn't you be paying them?

I realize that it takes the edge off the sucker tricks to have this kind of presentation. But to have it all through the show would seem to take the punch out of the show completely.

Just my opinion.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Caleb Wiles
View Profile
Inner circle
Indianapolis, IN
1130 Posts

Profile of Caleb Wiles
I don't use this as a sucker trick at all. The presentation I use is from Sammuel Patrick Smith's book, Big Laughs for Little Children (I think I got the title right.) It is actually his presentation for the tricky bottles.

I only use one tube and crayon. The effect is actually more of a game I play with the audience where we have to guess whether the crayon is pointing up or down. The kids really get into this. For the finish, the crayon changes color. I highly recommend his book.

Caleb
Check out my Main Event project (DVD or Download).

"Magicians, stop what you're doing right now and pick this up!" - John Guastaferro

"Caleb Wiles is the real deal!" - David Williamson

"...my very highest recommendation." - John Carey
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
They do make a giant crayon for a finish. In fact it's made to use with the small crayon. I use both.
The small crayon is produced first and when the direction is on this small crayon the giant one is stolen.
Makes for a great ending.

Den, I love your idea of making the routine like a vanishing bandanna type effect.
Daniel Faith
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The words we use » » Confusing Crayons Patter (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL