The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Best invisible marked deck (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicman29
View Profile
Inner circle
hertfordshire
1230 Posts

Profile of magicman29
Hey,
Is there anyone that own a number of different marked decks that could help me out.
I have a routine where the spectator handles the deck for the entire routine and I just don't feel confident enough with the boris wild deck I have.
I'm been checking out the ultimate marked deck but am wondering if there is better out there.
Any help would be much appreciated...

Kieran
magicjosh2
View Profile
Regular user
Manchester. UK.
134 Posts

Profile of magicjosh2
Kieran,
You could also check out the Fournier 505 deck with the red back design. Deceptive but also easy to gain the information required. This along with the ultimate deck are the main two decks that I use frequently.
Hope that helps.
Best Wishes,
Mark
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2869 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
Which marked deck one prefers is a higly subjective choice - it's all about visiblity vs. ease of use. There are quite a few things to factor in, think of poor eyesight, decoding time, multiple or single mark locations, handling restrictions and so on....
The list of marking systems is long and ranges from easy-to-read ones like BW to completely hidden binary based systems.
It would massively help you to test different systems yourself...
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5010 Posts

Profile of landmark
Read Bob Farmer's marking system in Kirk Charles's Marked for Life (cheap, like $10), get a red sharpie, and you'll never have to buy a marked deck again.
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2223 Posts

Profile of ddyment
Mr. Farmer's breakthrough "Farmarx" marking system is more thoroughly explained in MAGIC Magazine (October 1996), pp. 86–87.

My own "BikeMarks" system (in Idiopraxis) is an evolution of this.
Doug Dyment's Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5941 Posts

Profile of george1953
I have very por eyesight and just cant see the marks on regular decks, does anyone know a way to make marks easily visible but still meaningless to the layman ?
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5010 Posts

Profile of landmark
In the above mentioned book, Marked for Life, there's another Bob Farmer creation called Blob-a-vision if I recall, which he claims is ideal for at a distance viewing. I've never tried it out so I can't say; it's a clever system but requires some work to learn. Again, you can do the marking yourself with a sharpie.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
That's an excellent suggestion, landmark. Another great DIY system is Mr. Peter McCabe's.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5966 Posts

Profile of motown
Personally, I think the Wild deck is a good one.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
What is the difference between the information contained in the Kirk Charles' "Marked for Life" book and the Kirk Charles' "Hidden in Plain Sight" book?

In my brief reading here and over at Amazon, I seem to understand that the "Marked for Life" book deals, in part, with one or more Bob Farmer marked deck creations while the "Hidden in Plain Sight" book seems to be dealing (substantially?) with the Boris Wild marked deck system. Do I have that correct?

Additionally, and regardless of the above-described Bob Farmer/Boris Wild "distinctions", is the remainder of each of the books dealing with substantially the same marked deck information? In other words, does a person have to buy both of these books for generalized marked deck information?

Thanks for the info in these regards.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5941 Posts

Profile of george1953
Thanks for the info guys, I will try them out abd see how I get on.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
Mikael
View Profile
New user
Bergen, Norway
56 Posts

Profile of Mikael
Have you considered the GT Speedreader deck? I've tried several (including the Boris Wild deck), but I find Speedreader to be the most practical of them all. Also, the marking is of course nearly invisible!
magicjosh2
View Profile
Regular user
Manchester. UK.
134 Posts

Profile of magicjosh2
I must admit I like the look of the GT Speedreader deck, having had a look at the images of the back design this is another deck to put onto my must have list. Looks very practical, and deceptive,I'm going to be picking one up soon. Thanks for pointing this in my direction.
Best Wishes,
Mark
morro3
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of morro3
Boris Wild's marking system and GT Speedreader for me. I can't pick the best one out of these two so I use both of them.
Steve Burton
View Profile
Loyal user
250 Posts

Profile of Steve Burton
I don't recommend using a Sharpie to mark cards. If the light catches it right the ink reflects and really stands out. I learned the hard way on this one.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5010 Posts

Profile of landmark
I've had that experience with blue ink, but not with red.
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2560 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
Quote:
On 2013-07-20 19:39, Steve Burton wrote:
I don't recommend using a Sharpie to mark cards. If the light catches it right the ink reflects and really stands out. I learned the hard way on this one.

Is there a specific type of pen/pencil that you've found to be ideal? Colored pencils maybe?
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

Come visit Magic Book Report.com!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
That's interesting, Mr. Burton. Pete McCabe specifically recommends ultrafine tip Sharpies in colors that seem exactly to match the colors of red & blue Bicycle rider back cards. It worked for me, and as the markings are quite small, I didn't notice this problem.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Best invisible marked deck (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL