The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Your favorite book (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Andy Young
View Profile
Special user
Jersey Shore, PA
822 Posts

Profile of Andy Young
I have only read 1/3rd of the first of the four volumes of Harry Lorayne's Apocalypse and I can tell you that they are worth the money. It will be a top pick of mine forever.
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
I work at a Resort and when I do Cocktail's "Card thru table" is almost on every set I perform !!
Lazy Man's card trick is brilliant too!
Good stuff Mr.Lorayne...clever and great Card Magic !
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
SteveFromSpokane
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of SteveFromSpokane
Quote:
On 2013-05-22 08:34, DavidKenney wrote:
I have so many books it's hard to pick a favorite, so I'll go with my most recent. I just picked up Expert Card Technique by Jean Hugard & Frederick Braué. I've had other Hugard books for years, but I've never had this one. Even though much of the language is older and sure it doesn't compare in quality and over all impact perhaps like some others today, I am a sucker for the classics.

And anytime someone tries to tell you that print is dead and that it's all about videos now, show em my video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Pg_2D-2ILk

Thank you for a great video. It makes me want to grab one of my books and a deck of cards and go find a quiet corner.
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2827 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
Impossible to have a favorite book. First and foremost my NIV BIBLE ranks #1. As for magic books I have many. I like CC all 5 volumes, Effortless Card Magic, Classic Magic of Larry Jennings, Jennings 67, Focus, Amateur Magician's Handbook, Secrets of Brother John Hamman, Dear Mister Fantasy....heck I'm tired of typing. You get the message....so much literature, so little time!

Cardamagically,
DomC Smile Smile
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
OSANA79
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of OSANA79
Tommy Wonder's Books of Wonder! Just brilliant!
harbour
View Profile
Loyal user
283 Posts

Profile of harbour
Just finished that one, again, along with Mastering Card Magic and Approaching Magic. All very good books. Next UP: Smoke and Mirrors.
mmiller15
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of mmiller15
David Regal's Approaching Magic is an excellent book!
mlippo
View Profile
Inner circle
Trieste (Italy)
1227 Posts

Profile of mlippo
In my case it'll have to be five:

Card College volumes 1 to 5 by Roberto Giobbi

mlippo
Mikael
View Profile
New user
Bergen, Norway
56 Posts

Profile of Mikael
Two way tie: Mnemonica and Sonata. Wish I had TMW as well.
Shayde Phoenix
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
116 Posts

Profile of Shayde Phoenix
The Compleat Invocation
portpopo
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of portpopo
These are the ones that I find myself rereading and just love the material:

Mnemonica
Secrets of Bro John Hamman
Apocalypse
Handcrafted Card Magic
Carneycopia (my new found love)
Las Vegas Kardma
Art of Astonishment
portpopo
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of portpopo
But if I had to choose one I would choose Mnemonica because there is just so much original thinking from numerous magicians found within these pages. My thoughts about cards completely changed. But you have to like stack work to appreciate.
bidbid
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of bidbid
Mnemonica.
TheHbomb
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of TheHbomb
I would say Designing Miracles is my favorite book. Just so many things in there to learn about proper effect construction, it really gets you thinking about the effects you perform and create. It's a nice step back from the mechanics to the big picture.
seraph127
View Profile
Special user
587 Posts

Profile of seraph127
For both sentimental and and objective reasons, my favorite book is Expert Card Technique. This book set my mind on fire; I've read it near to tatters, scibbled in the margins, and written personal variations of its effects in my notebook.

Naturally it's also of great practical use. I know Jack McMillan's "Mind Mirror" is frequently (and deservedly) cited as a gem, but I can think of at least two others off the top of my head at least its equal.

I won't try to argue that it's the best of all time or even the best in my collection (though I would insist that it's a strong contender in both categories) but the topic is favorite, which simply means what one favors and there can be any number of reasons for a person to favor anything.
There are many tricks, and many effects, but rarely a Grand Effect. There are many entertainers, but few real magicians. Many technicians, but few artists who use their art to explore their vision. - Derren Brown, Absolute Magic
KevinKM99
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of KevinKM99
I love these sort of "Pick your favorite _____" threads, with favorite implying ONE. And people justify naming 10 books by writing, "Can't decide on just one!" Don't worry, I guarantee you won't lose your Magic Café membership by naming only one! But I digress...

That being said, John Bannon's "Dear Mr. Fantasy" has more usable miracles than I can remember in a recent book.
Gauthier Stricker
View Profile
New user
France
4 Posts

Profile of Gauthier Stricker
Because I love books, I am owning a "great collection" (I think) of magic books, and beyond all doubts, there is one I really love, and which has changed deeply my magic :

Strong Magic by Darwin Ortiz

But I would like also mentioning Confidences d'un prestidigitateur, une vie d'artiste by Robert-Houdin, which is really captivating.
I believe each good magician should have to read this book narrating the life of the "Father of modern magic".
Tenacitiz
View Profile
New user
A pathetic total of
71 Posts

Profile of Tenacitiz
This week it's the definitive Sankey or maybe expert card technique.
I'm waiting on Art of Astonishment and Harry Lorayne's classic collection 1 so who know what my next fav will be?
MikeBeaudet
View Profile
Loyal user
Becancour
228 Posts

Profile of MikeBeaudet
Without no doubt Card College 1-5
Card College Light
Royal Road to card magic
Simply Simon
And many others...
Do your best and forget the rest
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
I guess I'm part of "Many others"!!
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Your favorite book (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL