The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Not very magical, still... A hypothesis or An hypothesis? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Both.
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Ray Tupper.
View Profile
Special user
NG16.
750 Posts

Profile of Ray Tupper.
Quote:
On 2013-05-07 22:27, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Hit 'im wif an 'ammer.

Ang I'm on a meat ook!(Bob 'oskins...The long good Friday)
I'm with Stone.Written and spoken,two separate beasts.
Regarding the hospital example....Where was he?He was at an ospital.
What do we want?
A cure for tourettes!
When do we want it?
C*nt!
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2013-05-07 23:55, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-05-07 22:04, mastermindreader wrote:
"A hypothesis" is correct in American English because "h" is not a vowel.

An hypothesis, because the accent (in "hypothesis") is on the second syllable.

Quote:
On 2013-05-07 22:04, mastermindreader wrote:
Do you say "an hospital?"

No, because the accent (in "hospital") is not on the second syllable.

Similarly for house ("a house", not "an house").


You missed my other post. When the first syllable is unaccented, either "an" or "a" is correct.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2013-05-08 05:46, Woland wrote:
I think writing should follow speech. Thus an MRI scan.


Yes. Because as you yourself pointed out earlier, the "M" in MRI is pronounced "em." Since the initial sound is a vowel (e), "an" is correct.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2013-05-08 10:39, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-05-07 23:55, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-05-07 22:04, mastermindreader wrote:
"A hypothesis" is correct in American English because "h" is not a vowel.

An hypothesis, because the accent (in "hypothesis") is on the second syllable.

Quote:
On 2013-05-07 22:04, mastermindreader wrote:
Do you say "an hospital?"

No, because the accent (in "hospital") is not on the second syllable.

Similarly for house ("a house", not "an house").


You missed my other post. When the first syllable is unaccented, either "an" or "a" is correct.

It isn't a matter of whether the first syllable is unaccented, but whether the second syllable is: if the third syllable has the primary accent, the article is "a", not "an". (I confess that I cannot off the top of my head think of a word starting with "h" that has its primary accent on the third syllable that doesn't have a secondary accent on the first syllable, but I suspect that there is one.)

So . . . we're close to agreement. (I didn't miss your other post, by the way.)
Michael Daniels
View Profile
Inner circle
Isle of Man
1469 Posts

Profile of Michael Daniels
Hippopotamus?

Mike
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4957 Posts

Profile of landmark
Good one. Been wracking my brains all day over that. (BTW I obviously favor wracking over racking.)
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
How about hypochondriac?
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2013-05-08 13:38, Michael Daniels wrote:
Hippopotamus?

\ˌhi-pə-ˈp-tə-məs\
Nope: primary accent on the third syllable, secondary accent on the first.

Quote:
On 2013-05-08 16:15, mastermindreader wrote:
How about hypochondriac?

\ˌh-pə-ˈkn-dr-ˌak\
Ditto, with a secondary on the ultimate (fifth) syllable to boot.

Same for hippocampus, hysteretomy, hypothalamus, humanitarian (primary: fourth; secondary: first), and so on.

It's a tough business.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
But, in the end, it's still a hypothesis. Smile
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2732 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2013-05-08 06:01, stoneunhinged wrote:
But Woland, my point (which I probably made badly) is that speech differs according to circumstances in a way that writing should not.

Would you eliminate the "H" in words like "him" and "her" in writing, just because they aren't pronounced?

"Give him the keys to the car" = "Givm thkeys tthcar". The "H" disappears, and so do the vowels in "the" and "to".

Surely we don't want to stop using vowels when writing?


In ''dialect writing,'' most writers use apostrophes to indicate the missing letters;
''Give 'im th' keys t' th' car.''
Althought I doubt it would be that involved.
My kid had trouble reading ''To Kill A Mockingbird'' for exactly that reason.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Michael Daniels
View Profile
Inner circle
Isle of Man
1469 Posts

Profile of Michael Daniels
"a hypothesis" returns about 14,700,000 Google search results.

"an hypothesis" returns about 541,000

"a hypothesis" wins about 27:1

Mike
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
De gustibus non est disputandum. If as admitted both are equally correct, I will continue to use the one that sounds better to me.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4435 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On 2013-05-07 21:45, landmark wrote:
Discuss.


I know this one! My father in law was explaining. I shall impart his knowledge now...

"It's because of the aspirate h .........." I didn't take the rest in so I beg an humble retreat (or a humble one whichever......)

You'd know why I you heard him talk ad nauseam about stuff!
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4957 Posts

Profile of landmark
I'm heartened by the response. I wanted to prove to Mrs. landmark that we were not just a bunch of uncouth, ignorant louts...we're a bunch of uncouth, educated louts! Mrs. l., a stellar ESL teacher, agrees with S2000.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Not very magical, still... A hypothesis or An hypothesis? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL