The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Even MSNBC Admits It - Gun Violence is DOWN. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6
Russell Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Hampshire, England
1106 Posts

Profile of Russell Davidson
Quote:
On 2013-05-30 09:35, acesover wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-05-29 08:54, Russell Davidson wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-05-29 07:39, Woland wrote:
Meanwhile, in Britain, an online poll shows that citizens want their guns back!

Quote:
Last Friday the Daily Telegraph, Britain's most widely read broadsheet newspaper, issued an online poll asking members of the public which proposal they would like to see introduced as a Private Members' Bill in the UK's Parliament.

Private Members' Bills are introduced by Members of Parliament or Peers who are not government ministers.

The choices include term limits for Prime Ministers, a flat tax, a law to encourage the 'greening' of public spaces and the repealing of Britain's hand gun ban. Following the Dunblane massacre in 1996, in which 16 schoolchildren were killed, Parliament passed The Firearms Act of 1997, which essentially banned handguns for the atrocity.

But Britons seem unconvinced by the law. The proposer, known as "Colliemum" asked, "...why should only criminals be 'allowed' to possess guns and shoot unarmed, defenceless citizens and police officers?"

While the poll continues, so far over 80 percent of the 11,000+ respondents have told the Telegraph that they want to see the handgun ban repealed. The news comes as America contemplates its own new laws on gun ownership, with British talk show host Piers Morgan claiming to back a UK-style ban for the United States.

While gun crime soared after the British ban in 1997, rates of gun violence have fallen, especially in British cities, following more spending by police forces into tackling gun crime. Police in England and Wales recorded 5,911 firearms offences in 2011/12, a reduction of 42 percent compared with nine years earlier, according to the Office for National Statistics.

But statistics from the United States show that guns are used by citizens to defend themselves around eighty times more often than they are used to take a life. A recent study published in the Harvard Journal of Law & Public Policy concluded that there is a negative correlation between gun ownership and violent crime in countries internationally, that is, “where firearms are most dense violent crime rates are lowest, and where guns are least dense violent crime rates are highest."


And I know that this is not a scientific sample. But it is interesting, nevertheless.


It certainly shows what a load of old tosh these things are as people in Britain do not want guns. This so called ban we had in 1997 changed very little as getting a gun isn't / wasn't quite as staightforward as it is in the States. We've always had strict gun laws & that's the way we like it here.


Just let me correct you so your statement can be true and not supposition.

That is the way you like it. At least we know that statement is a truism. Would not want to call you a fibber.

Also let me correct you again. There is no need for you to have a handgun in your home. Agreed, as it could be dangerous as your obvious distain for them would reflect your lack of knowledge in handling one and that could be dangerous.

So now I agree. Someone such as yourself does not need one nor should they have one.

Problem solved.


No aces. It's not because of a lack of knowledge but simply we that don't need them. We're not scared in our own homes Smile
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2013-05-31 06:43, Russell Davidson wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-05-30 09:35, acesover wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-05-29 08:54, Russell Davidson wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-05-29 07:39, Woland wrote:
Meanwhile, in Britain, an online poll shows that citizens want their guns back!

Quote:
Last Friday the Daily Telegraph, Britain's most widely read broadsheet newspaper, issued an online poll asking members of the public which proposal they would like to see introduced as a Private Members' Bill in the UK's Parliament.

Private Members' Bills are introduced by Members of Parliament or Peers who are not government ministers.

The choices include term limits for Prime Ministers, a flat tax, a law to encourage the 'greening' of public spaces and the repealing of Britain's hand gun ban. Following the Dunblane massacre in 1996, in which 16 schoolchildren were killed, Parliament passed The Firearms Act of 1997, which essentially banned handguns for the atrocity.

But Britons seem unconvinced by the law. The proposer, known as "Colliemum" asked, "...why should only criminals be 'allowed' to possess guns and shoot unarmed, defenceless citizens and police officers?"

While the poll continues, so far over 80 percent of the 11,000+ respondents have told the Telegraph that they want to see the handgun ban repealed. The news comes as America contemplates its own new laws on gun ownership, with British talk show host Piers Morgan claiming to back a UK-style ban for the United States.

While gun crime soared after the British ban in 1997, rates of gun violence have fallen, especially in British cities, following more spending by police forces into tackling gun crime. Police in England and Wales recorded 5,911 firearms offences in 2011/12, a reduction of 42 percent compared with nine years earlier, according to the Office for National Statistics.

But statistics from the United States show that guns are used by citizens to defend themselves around eighty times more often than they are used to take a life. A recent study published in the Harvard Journal of Law & Public Policy concluded that there is a negative correlation between gun ownership and violent crime in countries internationally, that is, “where firearms are most dense violent crime rates are lowest, and where guns are least dense violent crime rates are highest."


And I know that this is not a scientific sample. But it is interesting, nevertheless.


It certainly shows what a load of old tosh these things are as people in Britain do not want guns. This so called ban we had in 1997 changed very little as getting a gun isn't / wasn't quite as staightforward as it is in the States. We've always had strict gun laws & that's the way we like it here.


Just let me correct you so your statement can be true and not supposition.

That is the way you like it. At least we know that statement is a truism. Would not want to call you a fibber.

Also let me correct you again. There is no need for you to have a handgun in your home. Agreed, as it could be dangerous as your obvious distain for them would reflect your lack of knowledge in handling one and that could be dangerous.

So now I agree. Someone such as yourself does not need one nor should they have one.

Problem solved.


No aces. It's not because of a lack of knowledge but simply we that don't need them. We're not scared in our own homes Smile


And well you should not be scared in your own homes. Neither am I. But not because I have a weapon. I have a weapon because I want one and I enjoy shooting sports. Also I am not just speaking of having a firearm at home but also carrying it on my person. Some people do and some people don't. Some people like chocolate ice cream and others like vanilla.

As you mentioned you are not scared in your own home. I should hope not. That is unless you live in a very unsavory neighborhood which I assume you don't. Just keep in mind, firearms are not only for protection which of course if one knows how to use one properly it is superb tool for protection. They are also for enjoyment and considered sport just like tennis, cricket, bowling, white water rafting and with practice one should be able to enjoy oneself if that is what they wish. The shooting sports are like any other sport. They require practice and common sense so one does not injure oneself or someone else.

While on the subject. Do you have fire insurance on your home? If you do, is it because you are scared or because it is the prudent thing to do? Car insurance? Health insurance?

Just remember this. If you need a firearm there is nothing in this world that will take its place. It is in most cases something many people have and hope they never need it...just like most insurance.

In my case as I stated before I get a lot of enjoyment out of my firearms. I use mine for shooting sports such as target shooting with my friends and family. I am fortunate in that I have a small shooting range on some property I own and shoot on a regular basis. I try and get out at least once a week to shoot and now with the Summer here it will be more.

Lastly I am familiar with all of my firearms, in that I can maintain them, disassemble them for cleaning and know how they function. As I said before if you do not want one and lack the knowledge of how to handle one correctly you should definitely not have one because you would be a danger to yourself and anyone around you. One of the most dangerous things I can think of is a person handling a firearm that is afraid of it. Respect it and know how it functions and it will give you many years of enjoyment, and God forbid if need be, even protect you and your loved ones.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20568 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2013-05-30 18:36, balducci wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-05-30 17:50, Dannydoyle wrote:

Now since I extend that courtesy and don't mind one bit and never try to make you adopt an American way of thinking or our constitution I will ask the same in retur ln from you and our Canadian neighbours. Just keep quiet about it.

I would happily keep quiet about it, if you would only help keep 'your' guns and NRA out of 'my' country (e.g. see link).

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2010......try.html


Yea Canada would be a perfect place if it wasn't for America.

I sincerly doubt your ability to keep quiet. You are constantly weighing in on things that you claim never affect you.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2013-05-30 04:27, Russell Davidson wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-05-29 11:50, balducci wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-05-29 10:22, Woland wrote:
Hi Russell,

Quote:
We've always had strict gun laws & that's the way we like it here.


If you'll forgive me for contradicting you in a public forum, that statement is simply in error. England has not "always had strict gun laws," and if you have ever read Conan Doyle, you will perhaps remember, for example, that Doctor Watson, like many middle-class or upper middle-class Englishmen, owned a revolver which Mr. Holmes often asked him to bring along.

Perhaps he meant more along the lines of in modern times / in his lifetime? Which is how I read it.



Yes, I meant in my lifetime, thank you balducci. There's no need for us to have hand guns in our homes.


"Need" is subject to interpretation. The hot burglary rate isn't a bad justification for the fact that some people want them
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2013-05-30 18:36, balducci wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-05-30 17:50, Dannydoyle wrote:

Now since I extend that courtesy and don't mind one bit and never try to make you adopt an American way of thinking or our constitution I will ask the same in retur ln from you and our Canadian neighbours. Just keep quiet about it.

I would happily keep quiet about it, if you would only help keep 'your' guns and NRA out of 'my' country (e.g. see link).

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2010......try.html


Why would you make such a statement as the above one? How can we keep the NRA from doing what they want? This is America. Are they doing something illegal or just something "you" don't like?

Also not sure what guns we are sending or whatever you meant in your statement...however I can only respond that if some of our guns are ending up in Canada it is because Canadians want them. I am sure we are not taking them and throwing them across the border. Unless you know something I don't.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
When I clean my gun, I dream of Galveston.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2013-05-31 06:43, Russell Davidson wrote:

No aces. It's not because of a lack of knowledge but simply we that don't need them. We're not scared in our own homes Smile

On my quest to fulfill my New Year's pledge to watch one movie a day, I am now in a film noir phase which led me indirectly to Gun Crazy AKA Deadly is the Female:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0042530/

Early on in the movie, we get this incisive dialogue:

> I just gotta have a gun.

< But why?

> Because, like Sis says, shooting is what I'm good at. It's the only thing I like. It's what I want to do when I grow up.

< You mean you don't want to do anything with your life except shoot guns?

> I like shooting 'em, Judge. I don't know why. But I feel good when I'm shooting 'em. I feel awfully good inside, like I'm somebody.

:)
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2013-06-02 02:45, balducci wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-05-31 06:43, Russell Davidson wrote:

No aces. It's not because of a lack of knowledge but simply we that don't need them. We're not scared in our own homes Smile

On my quest to fulfill my New Year's pledge to watch one movie a day, I am now in a film noir phase which led me indirectly to Gun Crazy AKA Deadly is the Female:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0042530/

Early on in the movie, we get this incisive dialogue:

> I just gotta have a gun.

< But why?

> Because, like Sis says, shooting is what I'm good at. It's the only thing I like. It's what I want to do when I grow up.

< You mean you don't want to do anything with your life except shoot guns?

> I like shooting 'em, Judge. I don't know why. But I feel good when I'm shooting 'em. I feel awfully good inside, like I'm somebody.

:)


Your are of course talking about a movie. Smile

But I would like to add that shooting a gun and killing someone with said gun is entirely two different things. Being the best shooter or best anything in the world is different than being the most notorious killer in the world...don't you think?

Being the strongest man in the world is quite an accomplishment. However if your only goal was to be the strongest man in the world so you could snap peoples necks and kill them easily, well I think that is different.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20568 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
So we just blame all those obvious psych issues the mivie character has on guns?

What will you blame things on next? Do you ever hold people responsible for their own actions?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2013-06-02 11:32, Dannydoyle wrote:
So we just blame all those obvious psych issues the mivie character has on guns?

What will you blame things on next? Do you ever hold people responsible for their own actions?


I think you misunderstand me. I don't blame any object for any wrong doing. I blame people for their misuse of that object. Or in the case of the strong man I still blame the man for the misuse of his strength skill.

I am not all familiar with the movie you are referring. But it seems like the judge is asking if all he wants to do is shoot guns, not whether he wants to shoot guns and kill people. Again it is a movie made for entertainment.

I know a lot of kids that the only thing they do is play xbox. So this guy likes guns and other kids like xbox. They would like nothing better than play xbox because it makes them feel good inside and they are good at it. Of course one must consxider the source. An immature teenager and and mentally challanged individual.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
They should make a movie about the Korean grocers during the Rodney King riots.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2013-06-02 12:53, LobowolfXXX wrote:
They should make a movie about the Korean grocers during the Rodney King riots.


That has Academy Award written all over it.

Just have to be careful not to offend any Koreans or Grocers, especially Korean Grocers. We have to politically correct also watch how we portray the muslims in this movie.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20568 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2013-06-02 12:12, acesover wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-06-02 11:32, Dannydoyle wrote:
So we just blame all those obvious psych issues the mivie character has on guns?

What will you blame things on next? Do you ever hold people responsible for their own actions?


I think you misunderstand me. I don't blame any object for any wrong doing. I blame people for their misuse of that object. Or in the case of the strong man I still blame the man for the misuse of his strength skill.

I am not all familiar with the movie you are referring. But it seems like the judge is asking if all he wants to do is shoot guns, not whether he wants to shoot guns and kill people. Again it is a movie made for entertainment.

I know a lot of kids that the only thing they do is play xbox. So this guy likes guns and other kids like xbox. They would like nothing better than play xbox because it makes them feel good inside and they are good at it. Of course one must consxider the source. An immature teenager and and mentally challanged individual.


I didn't mean to direct my post at you.

I didn't say that stuff. Blame my computer.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2013-06-02 17:56, Dannydoyle wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-06-02 12:12, acesover wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-06-02 11:32, Dannydoyle wrote:
So we just blame all those obvious psych issues the mivie character has on guns?

What will you blame things on next? Do you ever hold people responsible for their own actions?


I think you misunderstand me. I don't blame any object for any wrong doing. I blame people for their misuse of that object. Or in the case of the strong man I still blame the man for the misuse of his strength skill.

I am not all familiar with the movie you are referring. But it seems like the judge is asking if all he wants to do is shoot guns, not whether he wants to shoot guns and kill people. Again it is a movie made for entertainment.

I know a lot of kids that the only thing they do is play xbox. So this guy likes guns and other kids like xbox. They would like nothing better than play xbox because it makes them feel good inside and they are good at it. Of course one must consxider the source. An immature teenager and and mentally challanged individual.


I didn't mean to direct my post at you.

I didn't say that stuff. Blame my computer.


Bad dog.
I mean Bad Computer. Smile
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2013-06-02 10:59, acesover wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-06-02 02:45, balducci wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-05-31 06:43, Russell Davidson wrote:

No aces. It's not because of a lack of knowledge but simply we that don't need them. We're not scared in our own homes Smile

On my quest to fulfill my New Year's pledge to watch one movie a day, I am now in a film noir phase which led me indirectly to Gun Crazy AKA Deadly is the Female:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0042530/

Early on in the movie, we get this incisive dialogue:

> I just gotta have a gun.

< But why?

> Because, like Sis says, shooting is what I'm good at. It's the only thing I like. It's what I want to do when I grow up.

< You mean you don't want to do anything with your life except shoot guns?

> I like shooting 'em, Judge. I don't know why. But I feel good when I'm shooting 'em. I feel awfully good inside, like I'm somebody.

:)


Your are of course talking about a movie. Smile

But I would like to add that shooting a gun and killing someone with said gun is entirely two different things. Being the best shooter or best anything in the world is different than being the most notorious killer in the world...don't you think?

Absolutely.

Actually, in the movie, (SPOILER ALERT!) the fellow who loved guns so much never killed anyone with a gun. Except at the very end when he killed the deadly female, his lover, who was about to shoot his two childhood friends. But he did go along with her willingly on her crime spree, in which she killed several people under his watch.

Anyway, it is just a movie and I was just sort of yanking your chain with the posted dialogue from it. Smile
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
"Really, it makes it sound more like Watson was rather unusual (quite atypical) for having a handgun. "

Yes, he WAS unusual since he was a fictional character. Apparently vampires were smuggled into to England in coffins filled with dirt at that time in England as well, from what I read. I think that is why they allowed fictional characters to arm themselves.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Even MSNBC Admits It - Gun Violence is DOWN. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.29 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL