The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Confession - my first written creation on mentalism (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
It works in all languages! Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
Wadonio
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of Wadonio
Thanks, Jan!
avik_d
View Profile
Veteran user
Targetting a Zillion, till now just
304 Posts

Profile of avik_d
Rightly said Jan. Wadonio, as long as a lie is a lie in a language, you can perform it in that language. Yes, English is not my first language, and the first time I performed Confession, it was in my mother tongue. It's technically language-independent Smile

Cheers,

Avik
Best,

-Avik
Wadonio
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of Wadonio
Ok, great to hear! Thanks for fast answer!
Carl Andrews
View Profile
Special user
Maui, Hawaii
749 Posts

Profile of Carl Andrews
Congrats Avik,

The effects have already been described so here are my thoughts. I was very excited reading "Confession", the effect and method are new to me. This is a great tool to have and you will always ready to perform something with nothing. No props, no set-up, nothing is needed but a small object borrowed from the spectator. While not difficult, some practice will be required to do this effectively but within everyone's reach, even someone new to mentalism. Love it!

The bonus effect, TGBH, is also very diabolical, easy to do and one I will also try out in the real world. This is not an effect I would do in a show but great for the casual setting when someone asks to see you perform. A very nice impromptu type effect.

Thanks,
Carl
avik_d
View Profile
Veteran user
304 Posts

Profile of avik_d
Thanks Carlo for your thoughts. Nice that you liked it.

Best,

Avik.
Best,

-Avik
avik_d
View Profile
Veteran user
304 Posts

Profile of avik_d
Hello again friends,

It's my immense pleasure that I've got a positive feedback from someone I admire very much. Sean Waters was kind enough to have a look into "Confession", and share his feedback with me.

" Avik has provided his readers a pair of practical and workable ideas. His reductionist take on a modern classic is a great addition to the genre. The use of a single person adds a clarity that I admire. Due to its meager investment, "Confession" is a no-brainer for those interested in the truth-teller effect. Definitely recommended. - Sean Waters "

Best,

- Avik
Best,

-Avik
Unknown7777
View Profile
Regular user
176 Posts

Profile of Unknown7777
I was lucky enough to get the last review copy for this effect. I was holding off reviewing it for a bit and will have a bit more of my thoughts posted in the time to come. Below are some of the thoughts I shared with Avik after first reading and digesting the ebook.

In terms of the main effect I really do love the method, in fact I prefer it much more over the traditional logic puzzle method. It is quite amazing & it allows you to actually tell whether they are lying or not without any logic puzzle.

Secondly I must say I enjoyed the bonus almost more! All the subtleties you used are amazing and I have been thinking of other applications for them. I have added the prediction nessisarily for this to the set of mentalism props I usually carry and I will be using this a lot. It seems to make for an amazing opener.

Great work:)
avik_d
View Profile
Veteran user
304 Posts

Profile of avik_d
Thank you Brad for your feedback. It's nice that you liked these routines. I wish you more success with these.

- Avik
Best,

-Avik
Sandro G
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of Sandro G
Avik, I bought your book based on those reviews.

I like the first routine because it is going in the direction which I prefer, which is "real" mentalism, a seemingly magical result based on observation. It's a nice take on it and seems worth the 12 bucks for me, even though I'm currently very, very broke. Smile I also like the way you cite your inspirations. I bought it because I was into Banachek's Ring of Truth and Redford's Prevaricator at the time I read this thread. From your book I dug into Finley's take on the subject. I do not have Rick Maue's book, not sure I need it given my approach to the thing ?

Anyway, Confession fits my current needs precisely.

I'm much less enthusiastic about the bonus, but well, that's what it is for me. Don't think I'll ever use it.

I will try Confession soon though, and will let you know how it turns out.
avik_d
View Profile
Veteran user
304 Posts

Profile of avik_d
Thanks for for buying Confession, Sandro. Will wait for your feedback on this.

Best,
Avik.
Best,

-Avik
MatthewSims
View Profile
Special user
778 Posts

Profile of MatthewSims
I'm a little confused as to what the difference between this and a which hand effect might be?

Matthew
avik_d
View Profile
Veteran user
304 Posts

Profile of avik_d
Hey Matt,

Just to clear your confusion a bit, Confession has got a larger field of application if one wishes to use it. As the manuscript goes, Confession has been demonstrated there for only one hand, but it can be extended to two hands at will, and it will provide you with a nice variation of which-hand effect instead of whether-the-hand-contains-the-damn-thing stuff... LOL

- Avik
Best,

-Avik
MatthewSims
View Profile
Special user
778 Posts

Profile of MatthewSims
Hmmm. I'm still a little confused. Ill bite the bullet and order it once I get paid.

M
avik_d
View Profile
Veteran user
304 Posts

Profile of avik_d
Of course Matt. I believe you can surely pick up a copy based on the reviews here in this thread, and I can assure that you won't be dissapointed.

- Avik.
Best,

-Avik
robvh
View Profile
Elite user
Calgary, AB
440 Posts

Profile of robvh
The people who bought this manuscript seem to enjoy the effect and report that it works in the real world. I'm curious what the impact on the spectators has been like. Do Confession and TGBH entertain them, amaze them, or simply amuse them as a puzzle might? Also, are they repeatable for the same audience?
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
Just my gut reaction, but I think the difference between a puzzle and a miracle in most cases is the performer. What is the context of the “trick”? How is it relevant? And like all performances, “Why should I care?”

That said, Confession could be repeated ad infinitum, ad nauseum. It’s a fairly simple 50/50 (from their perspective), that becomes more amazing with each hit. Since it uses a PERSONAL item, it’s very easy to get them connected.

TGBH I wouldn’t do more than a couple times. It’s fairly powerful as is (20% chance from their perspective) and, since it does use a gaff, could possibly be detected after multiple goes. Since you’re already holding a slip of paper, this would be a good point to segue into something like Jay Sankey’s Divided Attention. I like the version where the paper only says “Cut Here”.
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
ko_brian
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of ko_brian
Quote:
On 2013-05-08 03:01, avik_d wrote:
Hi friends,

my first eBook on mentalism got released a few hours ago. Please check it out at :

http://www.lybrary.com/confession-the-ul......103.html

I'd like to thank Chris Wasshuber of lybrary.com who made this release a totally hassle-free affair. He's a gentleman in the truest sense, and it was indeed a pleasure dealing with him.

Cheers,

Avik.

Avik, I got a copy of your book and I have to say very good e-book. I really enjoyed the Confession Handling, very very good. Thak very much for your contribution!
avik_d
View Profile
Veteran user
304 Posts

Profile of avik_d
Quote:
On 2013-11-24 12:45, ko_brian wrote:

Avik, I got a copy of your book and I have to say very good e-book. I really enjoyed the Confession Handling, very very good. Thak very much for your contribution!

Hey Brian,

Thanks for the nice words. It's good that you liked it. In case you've already used it for performance, I'd surely like to know more about your experience with this.

Quote:
On 2013-11-24 04:12, DWRackley wrote:
Just my gut reaction, but I think the difference between a puzzle and a miracle in most cases is the performer. What is the context of the “trick”? How is it relevant? And like all performances, “Why should I care?”

That said, Confession could be repeated ad infinitum, ad nauseum. It’s a fairly simple 50/50 (from their perspective), that becomes more amazing with each hit. Since it uses a PERSONAL item, it’s very easy to get them connected.

TGBH I wouldn’t do more than a couple times. It’s fairly powerful as is (20% chance from their perspective) and, since it does use a gaff, could possibly be detected after multiple goes. Since you’re already holding a slip of paper, this would be a good point to segue into something like Jay Sankey’s Divided Attention. I like the version where the paper only says “Cut Here”.

DWRackley,

You have got to the exact core of the effects. You're absolutely right with what you said. However, I personally believe that Confession should not be repeated for the same audience. This is not because there's some technical shortcomings with this as an effect. But as a performer I believe that if the spectators ask for a trick to be repeated, more often than not, they are asking so just to catch the performer out, and the effect for them is just a puzzle to solve. If we want to make an effect like Confession up close & personal for the spectator, I will be performing it and have them enjoy this only once; because obtaining good reactions in a repeat performance is mostly due to the inability to solve a puzzle on the spectators' side.

However, as you've said, Confession can theoretically be repeated over and over, and there's nothing to give away through repeated performances.

As to TGBH, you've rightly said that it should not be repeated that much. This is true, because though the effect is a mere 20% from their perspective, the options for them are much less in reality.

Quote:
On 2013-11-23 16:12, robvh wrote:
The people who bought this manuscript seem to enjoy the effect and report that it works in the real world. I'm curious what the impact on the spectators has been like. Do Confession and TGBH entertain them, amaze them, or simply amuse them as a puzzle might? Also, are they repeatable for the same audience?

Hi Rob,

I believe you've read DWRackley's reply. As my performances go, Confession has served me very well, and whether it appears to be some real stuff or just some puzzle to the spectators is entirely upto the performer. Confession is certainly repeatable for the same audience, however, I'd not repeat it, just to maintain the purity of the first reaction. TGBH is also repeatable, but I won't repeat it for reasons mentioned above. Besides, TGBH is such a short effect that it's enough for an one-time blow, and I've never got any request to repeat it.

Best,

- Avik.
Best,

-Avik
ko_brian
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of ko_brian
Avik I didn't used the effect yet but I will try asap! I will give you a feedback about things!But that simple idea about thw trick you have learned when a kid got my head spinning... simple but there are many many aplications, one of them is confession!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Confession - my first written creation on mentalism (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL