The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Creepy places you've been (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2886 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
This is probably more suited for later in the year, but it just occurred to me. So here goes...

What are some of the creepiest or spookiest places you've been, aside from commercial haunted houses?

I was in architecture for fifteen years, and went thru tunnels, basements, the autopsy room in an old mental hospital, and lots of similar places, but one of the creepiest was the ET ride at Universal Studios LA after it closed at night. I was walking thru it, so I could come right up to some of the figures. The work lights were casting all kinds of shadows. There was still some fog in the air, and puddles of water where the fog condensed. It was silent. Twists and turns all over the place. And all these huge black drapes everywhere to absorb light. At one point I got lost. It was fun (although I was getting paid to work), but it was creepy.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
My wife and I toured the Catacombs of Paris in 1983 and it remains, pardon the pun, the creepiest place I have ever been to.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catacombs_of_Paris
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
When my night job was janitor I cleaned old city hall and my supply closet was in the basement, which used to be part of the old Spokane Underground. The only way in and out was through a single elevator, to which I had the only pass in the building. No cell reception. Some of the side tunnels were sealed off with concrete.
At the same time, my day job was in a cemetery. I've been in the attic of the mausoleum there a few times.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
The Amazing Pog
View Profile
Veteran user
372 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Pog
My dreams.

Other than that in my teen years I crept into a couple of large old cemeteries at night, always creepy. And the underground caverns beneath Exeter city. And the London Underground can be pretty creeptastic, as can any derelict site at night. And there's some spooky old woods I've been to .. Pretty much anywhere isolated at night is a good 'un Smile
'One of the safest ways to make a good performance is to have tricks which work so easily, that mechanics can be forgotten and every attention devoted to presentation' - Corinda
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2653 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
One of the first movies I did when I moved to LA was shot at the abandoned Linda Vista Hospital in Boyle Heights. The film was a horror movie so that had set the tone, but then we shot scenes in the morgue. Part of that floor had been burned in a fire, so walking through an area where the elevator doors were torched and the walls were blackened was pretty creepy. It was fascinating to walk through a giant empty hospital like that, but just knowing what all must have happened there was rather intense.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linda_Vista_Community_Hospital
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2886 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Thanks for the link to LV Hospital!

Hospitals can be creepy. Many years ago, between grad school and my first job, I was a volunteer at a local hospital. One day they asked me to take some samples down to pathology. So I went down this old wood stairway, to a dark hallway, and through a couple of doors with the glass blacked out and a sign that said "Pathology." Inside there was a small vestibule with a table where you left the samples, and another blacked-out door. It was right out of the movies.

Down the hall there was a wood door -- and I'm not kidding -- made to look like a Gothic door, arch and all. They told me it was a sort of little chapel where priests could go and bless the deceased.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Cougars.

I was in my twenties and followed a friend to a club to meet some girls.

They were actresses my Mum's age.

That was creepy.
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Ray Tupper.
View Profile
Special user
NG16.
750 Posts

Profile of Ray Tupper.
I once accidentally clicked on the "Now that's funny" forum by accident,instead of the workshop.
A truly frightening experience.
What do we want?
A cure for tourettes!
When do we want it?
C*nt!
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Utah
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
JRob
View Profile
Veteran user
Central South Carolina
395 Posts

Profile of JRob
The old asylum at the SC state hospital. Much like Linda Vista
"Jim Roberts, AKA: Professor Jay Rob "<br>
The Professor's Facebook Page
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On 2013-05-09 09:49, Al Angello wrote:
Utah

Why Utah Al, The hunting and fishing is great and the state full of beauty and Godliness. What is so creepy about Utah?

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
NVMS.
nooner
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of nooner
Mütter Museum for me. It isn't on most people's "must see" list when they come to Philadelphia, but being local to the area it was something that everyone seems to do at least once. Not sure I recommend it unless you are into the bizarre and morbid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%BCtter_Museum
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Bob1Dog
You are absolutely right Utah is a very beautiful place for natural beauty, but conversely the spookiest place I've ever visited.

Have you ever visited Utah Bob?
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On 2013-05-09 21:56, Al Angello wrote:
Bob1Dog
You are absolutely right Utah is a very beautiful place for natural beauty, but conversely the spookiest place I've ever visited.

Have you ever visited Utah Bob?

My wife's sister lives in SLC and we've been there to visit a couple of times. They also have a getaway cabin in the mountains. And when Gail and I honeymooned way back in 1972, we drove from Montana to Las Vegas, by way of Idaho and Utah.

So, why is it spooky? I find nothing spooky about the place.

Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On 2013-05-09 21:33, nooner wrote:
Mütter Museum for me. It isn't on most people's "must see" list when they come to Philadelphia, but being local to the area it was something that everyone seems to do at least once. Not sure I recommend it unless you are into the bizarre and morbid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%BCtter_Museum

I'm sticking with the Catacombs of Paris, but you're right, the Mutter Museum in Philly IS a spooky place. I remember one display case had more than one hundred ear bones on display alone. There's some bizerre stuff there for sure. I lived in Bucks County for 25 years and was only there once, but I would highly recommend it if you have a few days in the city. It's only a few blocks away from the Thirtieth Street Station.

Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On 2013-05-09 20:52, Woland wrote:
NVMS.

:hysteric:

nooner
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of nooner
I have never been to the Catacombs (and I agree the pictures are pretty spooky) but did spend a few hours walking around Père Lachaise Cemetery in Paris. Not exactly spooky but it is a little morbid to consider that a cemetery is one of the popular tourist attractions in the city.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P%C3%A8re_Lachaise_Cemetery
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On 2013-05-09 23:07, nooner wrote:
I have never been to the Catacombs (and I agree the pictures are pretty spooky) but did spend a few hours walking around Père Lachaise Cemetery in Paris. Not exactly spooky but it is a little morbid to consider that a cemetery is one of the popular tourist attractions in the city.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P%C3%A8re_Lachaise_Cemetery

We were there too; and believe it or not, I find cemeteries interesting to explore. I quite enjoy visiting old ones just to get a sense of history. Forest Lawn in Glendale CA is a tourist attraction too.

http://www.seeing-stars.com/buried2/forestlawnglendale.shtml

My most memorable and solemn cemetery visit, however, was to the US National Cemetery in Normandy.

george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5942 Posts

Profile of george1953
The bone Church just outside Prague.Click here to view attached image.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Creepy places you've been (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL