The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Did you need to use your liability insurance? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

wizardpa
View Profile
Inner circle
The New Orleans area
1011 Posts

Profile of wizardpa
I was just wondering if anyone ever had an accident happen so that they needed to use their liability insurance?
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
If you are asking that to hear horror stories, my answer is no.

If you are asking that to determine if you really need it - I highly recommend having it. While I've never had need of the insurance for a claim, some clients require you carry liability insurance or they won't hire you. The peace of mind it provides can generate revenue. Examples of markets I've worked where it has been required: schools, amusement parks, public parks, festivals, fairs, corporate functions, and even street performances.

In the past, I was a huge fan of Specialty Insurance. Since then, I have switched to N.A.M.E. (National Association Of Mobile Entertainers) It was originally created for D.J.'s, but has expanded into other entertainment markets. The annual cost is less, the coverage is better and their customer service exceeds Specialty, which is the reason I switched.
Tom Crowl - Comedy Ventriloquist

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Often some markers require it even though you may never use it.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
JoshLondonMagic
View Profile
Special user
675 Posts

Profile of JoshLondonMagic
I just got insurance through Specialty Insurance. They were great to deal with. I do a lot of school shows and the PTA makes their vendors have insurance, so I would have lost money without it (I even had to turn down a few shows because I didn't have it).

I have to say I feel better and more peace of mind having the insurance than I do without. Plus it makes you appear more professional than those who don't have it.

Josh
Josh
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
At first I thought long and hard about shelling out the bucks for insurance. Now, I don't think twice about it. It is a great investment in terms of coverage and just as importantly as another point of differentiation. As mentioned above, if you plan on pursuing many of the markets, you need it.
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
CC you say ......

"just as importantly as another point of differentiation"

How so? Do you mention it in any of your materials?

B

P.S. As far as need, never for an accident, but I did have to supply my ins. document to be able to get on a companys' site for a show with an event planner, and one of my school boards' legal dept. calls every year for a current copy for their files.
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
Quote:
On 2013-05-11 16:23, Blair Marshall wrote:
CC you say ......

Yes - it is a bullet point on my website home page. I do this so that anyone who requires insurance knows immediately that I have covered that aspect of availability. I also include the same bullet point on direct mailings to organizations. I also think it creates an appearance of professionalism for private parties that do not necessarily require insurance but are happy to see that I am covered.
JoshLondonMagic
View Profile
Special user
675 Posts

Profile of JoshLondonMagic
Quote:
On 2013-05-11 17:11, charliecheckers wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-05-11 16:23, Blair Marshall wrote:
CC you say ......

Yes - it is a bullet point on my website home page. I do this so that anyone who requires insurance knows immediately that I have covered that aspect of availability. I also include the same bullet point on direct mailings to organizations. I also think it creates an appearance of professionalism for private parties that do not necessarily require insurance but are happy to see that I am covered.

This is one thing I keep going back on. I love the idea of showing how professional and responsible I am as a performer to potential clients, but I wonder in such a litigious society would one be more compelled to make up some issue or cause an accident after reading that you're insured simply because it's listed on your website?

I really like the idea of listing that I'm insured on my website (perhaps list it in my FAQs page), but would hate for someone to read it and go to my show and "make something happen," just to try and collect some money.

Josh
Josh
wizardpa
View Profile
Inner circle
The New Orleans area
1011 Posts

Profile of wizardpa
I was just wondering if anyone had any horror stories.

I would never be without it. I get mine from HMK, by being a member of IBM.

I sincerely hope that I'll never need it. I did have to prove that I had insurance twice though, and I'm glad I did, because it does show one is more professional by having it.
stuartmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Derby England (UK)
240 Posts

Profile of stuartmagic
Quote:
On 2013-05-11 08:35, tacrowl wrote:
If you are asking that to hear horror stories, my answer is no.

If you are asking that to determine if you really need it - I highly recommend having it. While I've never had need of the insurance for a claim, some clients require you carry liability insurance or they won't hire you. The peace of mind it provides can generate revenue. Examples of markets I've worked where it has been required: schools, amusement parks, public parks, festivals, fairs, corporate functions, and even street performances.

Well put. I have had quite a few shows where I would not have been booked had I not got public liability. Over here in the UK there have been times where they have asked if the electrical equi[ment I use has been PAT tested, which it has, another must is a CRB certificate. Whilst these are not always needed you will lose some shows without them and for what they cost every entertainer should have them.

Stuart.
ThatsJustWrong!
View Profile
Special user
My flying monkeys are perched on
629 Posts

Profile of ThatsJustWrong!
It's less than the price of a gig to pay the cost of doing business. I'm pretty fond of my house and rest easier knowing I have a better chance of keeping it if I accidently cause someon's head to explode with my amazing mentali powers. OK, they're far more likely to choke on a drink coming back up through their nose but you get the idea... Happily I have never used it but I wouldn't work without it.
Joe Leo

All entertainers can benefit from some help from an experienced stage director. How about you?

www.MisfitMysteries.com
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
I have not but a friend of mine did. His assistant fell while rehearsing the Sub Trunk and and I believe she broke a few bones. He had the SAM insurance and while I don't know all the details, he indicated to me that the insurance came through for him.
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Starrpower,

hmm that would be more like workers comp... But they must have wrote it up as a helper and not an employee. Smile
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Had a p t a call me and say that a parent who was coming to see the show wrecked his car and because I signed a contract stating "anything that occurs because of my performance" was in effect, they were going to give him my number.

Apparently the p t a are having more and more people sign these, all across the country.

Anyway, The man called and I laughed at him for not watching the road. told him that no attorney would take the case, and hung up. Never heard from him again.
But my point is, there are more and more rules made by more and more people that don't want to take responsibility. I've heard several other stories like this. as well. Incorporating helps but it's not 100 percent.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Did you need to use your liability insurance? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL